1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

List of Plot Holes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vengashii, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Rhapsody Belle

Rhapsody Belle Sixth Year

Almost right, but ultimately wrong. Snakes don't have the same aural setup that mammals do, but they can still hear sound waves through an ear bone called the columella.

Also, it's not an actual snake that opens the Chamber. It's a faucet molded to look like a snake, and (presumably) Charmed to recognize Parseltongue.

2. Muttering Condolences

Muttering Condolences Card Captored and buttsecksed

Close. It's a small engraved snake on a facet.

3. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

So, actually, it's a code-word-lock.

4. Vengashii

Vengashii Banned

I just thought of something:

Shouldn't the DADA curse have been broken when Dumbledore hired Quirrel-Voldemort in 1st year?

5. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Quirrel was the Muggle Studies professor before he became the Dark Arts one so no, it wouldn't have broken. Still kinda funny though, Voldemort got fucked over by his own curse :D.

6. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Voldemort only began to possess Quirrel AFTER he was made DADA professor.

7. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This may have already been addressed but, shouldn't the basilisk venom have destroyed the horcrux in Harry in second year?

8. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

... No? <.<

9. Solace

Solace First Year DLP Supporter

Harry had to completely die for the horcrux to be destroyed, yes? Almost dying doesn't count. (Unless I"m missing something big here).

10. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    DH said that basilisk venom destroyed horcruxes. It probably isn't the case because the venom would have attacked Harry's body, but in that case, how did it destroy the horcrux in the locket?

Does just destroying the vessel destroy the horcrux?

11. Mordac

Mordac Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

What I wonder is why no one ever thought of hitting an horcrux with the killing curse.

12. Solace

Solace First Year DLP Supporter

Destroying any vessel with Fiendfyre, basilisk venom, or the Sword would destroy the horcrux. Harry did not die from the venom, so the horcrux was secured.

Nagini was beheaded by the Sword, so that meant she couldn't come back either way (having no head is a wee bit detrimental). Voldemort could not kill Harry because the wand Voldemort used was actually Harry's; it wouldn't hurt its owner. It only hurt the part of Harry that was not his - hence, Voldemort destroyed his own soul.

So, he got lucky. Alot.

13. coleam

coleam Death Eater

Is that from JKR? Because I don't remember anything about him being the muggle studies prof before DADA.

One other thing I just realized while mentally going over some stuff: We know from canon that food can't be conjured, yet I distinctly remember a scene in COS or GOF (can't remember which) where Molly uses her wand to produce some sort of cream sauce. I believe the line was something like "A thick cream sauce poured out of the tip of her wand into the saucepan" (and yes, I do know exactly how wrong that sounds).

14. Muttering Condolences

Muttering Condolences Card Captored and buttsecksed

It could be that her wand was simply summoning the sauce from a jar in the pantry, like a refilling charm.

I know it's a stretch, but hey, it's better than bashing our heads over JKR's bad writing or using the 'It's magic" line.

15. Hakaisha

Hakaisha Squib

Okay, to make this clear, this book was written for children, under the age of 12.

So here is a list of a few ones i found:

Ownership of wands.
    The GoF plot.
    The Gryffs not winning a quidditch match since charlie weasley.
    The hogwarts population.
    Harry's eyesight.
    How the weasleys are just as pureblood elitist with they accountant cousin that they dont talk about.
    Ron talking to the snakes.
    The Invisibility Cloak
    Voldemorts first fall.
    Snape being a spy
    The Thestrals
    The Elder Wand
    Deus Ex Machine maker
    various others

Ownership of wands
    This is something of an deus ex that appears in book 7, if all you needed to do to gain control of the wand was to defeat the owner in a duel, one way or another.
    Considering this should have made half the schools wand impossible to use for the one actually using it, but apparently it works for ordinary wands and not the elder wand alone.
    Apparently Harry took the wand from Draco by the use of force. Also with the elder wand apparently having wood from the elder tree wich is not a magic wood tree at all, so maybe it was death after all.

GoF
    Why did they have to do it with such an elaborate slow moving deathtrap instead of just bam using a portkey on him.

Qudditch Plothole
    While not known at the time, later one we would notice that Charlie graduated from the school the year before.
    So never winning a match over the summer, big loss indeed.

Population
    given it to be at least 20 per year and 60-70 at max, that would leave the total population too around 400-500 at max.
    Apparently over half the population is muggelborn, one fourth half blood, and the rest pure blood, that would still leave around that would leave us with at least 400 parents.
    Considering the average child of any witch and wizard is usually 1-3. so there must have been an consisting amount of children for the past 1000 years.
    And since JKR says there are around 10k wizards in the UK, that leaves me with some strange math to do.
    In anycase, over the past 100 years there should have been around 6-10k that would have graduated during that time, considering most wizards and witches can live far beyond 200 as dumbledore was pretty youthfully for the age of 150 or so there should be atleast 50k wizards or very very many muggelborns, so some continuity error there.

Harry's Eyes
    Since repairing eyesight is apparently very easy, and he is also the only student at school who wears them i find it a bit strange that pomfrey never went "Oh my, horrible eye sight, drink this potion *forces down throat* There we go" and cured that.

The Weasleys
    They supposedly condemn noone but dark wizards and slytherings.
    Yet they apparently have a squid cousin that they isolate from the family.
    So whos the pureblood traitors now, eh?

Ron's Parseltounge
    Just ridiculous and impossible.

Invisibility Cloak
    Also the Cloak that brings bad luck like matter to a blackhole. Apparently while under the the cloak, you can't be harmed by spells, or seen at all.
    Yet it happens, but the spell part, or at least the only one i remember off the top of my head was done by the headmaster using the elder wand.

The First Fall
    Okay, from when Voldemort 'died'.
    Apparently both Sirius and Hagrid arrived at the same time, why did not Albus go himself, and how did the rest of the world know about his fall and the scar.
    When Sirius only tried to kill pettigrew who said nothing about it, Hagrid who is loyal to the headmaster and minerva. So how could the world know?

Snape
    I do loath Snape alot, and making him turn from a faithfull deatheater to save a stubborn girl you love that married your rival is highly unlikely.
    Also how would he be a spy at all, Occlumency sure, but wouldnt Voldemort be suspicious when he could not break his mind, hiding secrets is the same as betrayal.
    So how did he survive as a spy that long.
    Also, as a teacher, either the wizarding world must have developed mental retardation to the extreme and let him teach, so yeah they fucked up there.

Thestrals
    Harry saw his mother get killed, why did he not see them before he saw sirius being killed?

Elder Wand
    I may repeat myself here, but the elder wand comes from the elder tree a non magic wood i guess.
    Apparently it is a god wand and can break the rules of magic, by making food and such.

Deus Ex
    How Hermione ran into the dungeons to cry instead to use a bathroom on ground level.
    Harry killing quirell using a sacrifice.
    Harry summoning fawkes.
    The sorting hat dropping the sword when how many thousand students before have worn it.
    How the horecrux was not destroyed by the snake biting harry.
    How remus not being transformed at night even when there is a fullmoon, and apparently hiding in a dark room dont help.
    Priori Incantem., brother wands.
    The Deluminator, how it suddenly shows the path too your friends.
    How snape managed to coincidental plant the sword at the same time harry was at the lake.
    How the snitch having skin memory.
    The King Cross chapter, that was pintle explained by Dumbledore

Others
    How flint did his 7th year twice.
    How being mysteriously turned into half a cat was not mysteriously reported.
    how hermione had to borrow HaHistory when she could owl the one she had at home.
    how quirell cursed harrys broom with a stream of word instead of a single spell

And many more.

Also sorry for bad grammars, kinda tired so ill let the spell check do the worst.

After doing the spell check I have to apologize for abuse of the word Apparently, this word I also spelled wrong every time using e instead of a.

16. ReverseSide

ReverseSide Slug Club Member

If you admit that you have bad grammar and realize that you are "abusing" words, then you should recheck your post.

Admitting that you have bad grammar is no excuse for writing with bad grammar.

17. Lincos

Lincos Professor DLP Supporter

-Nevermind disregard-

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  18. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Some nice points Hakaisha. I think most of them we've all thought of at some point, but it's fun to read the list format.

I'll just comment on two, though I could comment on more.

JKR said somewhere that Flint failed his 7th year and so had to repeat it. It is probably a plot hole but she did cover herself on that one in an interview at one point I think.

Hermione might well have run into the dungeons to cry instead of a bathroom on ground level because she's an 11 year old girl. The closest bathroom is also the one people are most likely to run into, and in general you don't want to be caught crying your eyes out like that. So she'd run to an out of the way bathroom instead. I don't think of that as a plot hole really.

There's a few others I don't really see as being plot holes in your list as well.

Things like the "number of wizards present in the UK and in Hogwarts" and the "wand ownershop" are classic plot barfs though.

19. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

I won't comment on most of these, but quite a few are retarded.

The Weasleys have a second cousin who is an accountant, but they never talk about him. Appart from the fact that I almost never speak about most of my second cousins, nothing suggests they dissapprove of his heritage.

Moreover, characters who aren't entirely consistent with their values aren't plot holes. It's realistic.

I don't know why half of these are labeled as deus ex machina, but in any case they aren't very good.

Hermione wasn't in the dungeons as far as I know.

Harry didn't actively kill Quirrell. (see how I spelled his name?)

The Sorting Hat is a magically intelligent object. It's not stupid enough to drop swords on students' heads while they are being sorted.

I'm not very up to date on this, but I don't think there is a formula that says: "If someone/something comes into contact with Basilisk venom, the Horcrux they contain is necessarily destroyed". The antidote was administered before the venom could kill Harry, I don't see why it would have destroyed the Horcrux.

I'm pretty sure Remus was transforming, which is exactly why he was hiding.

20. Johnny Farrar

Johnny Farrar High Inquisitor

Where did you get the fact that repairing eye's is very easy. I do not remember anything in canon. And Harry is not the only student in castle to wear spectacles. Percy does too. So does Dumbledore.

It was not excatly mentioned why the Weasely's do not talk about their squib cousin. There may be some reasons other than the fact that they have a squib cousin.

Consider reading Deathly Hallows once more. The Invisibility Cloak does not bring bad luck. You are mistaking it with The Elder Wand. Also the Cloak grants invisibility, it however does not make the wearer invincible. He is still susceptible to spells.

I am not sure about this, but I think I read somewhere that to see Thestrals you just do not have see death but understand it.

Better yet, read the series in its entirety. Most of your plot holes are explained.

Hermione didn't run into the dungeons, she ran to Moaning Myrtle's bathroom, which if I remember correctly was on the second floor.

Dumbledore told Harry that it was in fact Voldemort leaving Quirrel's body that was the reason of his death.

Why would the Sorting Hat drop the Sword on unsuspecting students? It only comes to those who are in need and who display Gryffindor's characteristics.

Remus did not transform because the full moon was not out yet.

Snape did not coincidentally plant the sword. He was informed of Harry's presence by Phineus.