1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Logan

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I'm not saying the fighting wasn't fun or that I hated it completely, but I felt that the Logan in the other movies came across as more of a hero and that in this movie it felt like he'd simply given up. That is what made it disappointing.

And just because I go against the majority doesn't mean I have shit taste. I'm just a connoisseur of quality super hero movies.

2. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Well...yeah. I mean, if that's not what you want to see in a comic book film, then fair enough, but what about the film - or indeed any of the publicity for it - made you think that this wouldn't be the case? It's the entire point of the film.

3. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I had only seen the trailers for it and I guess I came to the conclusion that Logan might be mentoring the girl a bit in this movie. I mean he literally spent the movie trying not to help the girl until the end.

4. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The adamantium poisoning, unless I misunderstood something completely the mutant inoculation was designed to prevent new mutants from being born not kill ones that already existed. If it killed mutants, why wouldn't Caliban and Xavier have been dying of the exact same thing? As for him not being dead, my only hope is that he rammed enough of that green shit in his system to kick start his healing factor back up to snuff.

5. Rhett

Rhett Fourth Year

All these reviews make me want to make some time to go see it. Working seven days a week is a bloody pain!

6. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Tell them there is a family emergency, and that a government agency is chasing your daughter to North Dakota they will understand.

7. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Saw it. Loved it. Need an X-23 spinoff asap.

I did think it was a little too long though, and by the end I was completely numb to the brutal fight scenes. Many of the them could have easily been trimmed down with no overall loss of message/quality.

8. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

So, just came back from the movie and it was fucking awesome. Literally the only movie I've ever not left in the middle for a piss break. By the end, I was ready to shed manly tears and piss my pants.

Also, is it me or does the girl who plays X-23 look a lot like Lizzie from the Walking Dead?

I honestly thought that she was the same girl who played Lizzie from the Walking Dead and that the scene where Laura kills X-24 was a Walking Dead reference.

Also, as sad it was, I'm glad everyone, including Logan, from the old franchise is dead now. We've had over a decade of Wolverine and friends so I think it would nice to see some other X-Men in the future.

That was the entire point of the movie. Logan did give up. He's lost almost everything and everyone he cared about, and the world he lives in a giant miserable shit hole. Even after going back in time to stop the mutant genocide, everything still went to shit. So what's the point of being a hero and fighting when it was all for nothing? That being said, if the movie wasn't to your taste, then it wasn't to your taste. Nothing wrong with that.

9. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

I liked it a lot. There were a few aspects that annoyed me but overall it was the best comic book film I've seen.

10. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    You can basically forget about wolverine origins. It's completely out of whack with everything and is just a long overblown attempt to explain why Logan has no memories at the start of the original trilogy.

So, at the end of the original Trilogy, Logan kills Jean after she goes phoenix force and fucks some shit up.

In the Wolverine (post original trilogy), he's sadface about Jean for a while and wants to die. Conveniantly, an old WW2 buddy from Japan offers to grant him a true death by transfering Logan's healing powers to himself. Logan refuses but japanese guy doesn't take no for an answer. He uses some weird implant thing and takes them anyway. Logan ultimately defeats bad japanese guy, but gets his claws cut off.

This is technically the end of the original continuity. To get to Days of Future Past events, you have to give Logan back his claws and resurrect Professor X who died at the end of X3. The standard explanation is that Kitty has been sending people back in time to change events to help important people survive, but honestly, it's easier to just assume alternate timeline.

So, in DoFP, Kitty sends Future Logan back in time to inhabit the body of his past self in order to prevent the extinction of mutants at the hands of the sentinels. Yada yada yada, they succeed, and mystique temporarily prevents Stryker from getting his hands on past Logan, indicating that the weapon x program may not happen. Future Logan returns to his body's counterpart in the utopiaesque present. Jean and Scott are still alive. Everyone is happy.

Apocalypse is throwaway film, but it does succesfully attempt to explain that despite mystique's intervention, weapon x still happened, and that Past Logan still ended up being implanted with adamantium. Young Jean/Scott/Nigtcrawler help Past Logan escape from the facility, but of course, Stryker took away his memories, indicating he'll eventually do his wanderer schtick, find Rogue, and they'll shenanigan their way to the x-mansion and become x-men. At the end of apocalypse we get a clip of sinister looking Transigen suits harvesting Logan's blood from the weapon x facility.

Fastforward to post DoFP utopia. The x-men have had their golden years, inspiring many meta in-universe comic books. But that's all over and done with now. Transigen has been working behind the scenes to stem the mutant population.

Cue Logan events.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  11. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, Logan fanfic anyone?

12. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Thanks @KHAAAAAAAAAAN!! I think I might have even missed one of those somewhere. And I can't remember a ton of details from some of them. To me they were decent movies but with confusing linear events between them, so they sort of mashed together. Was there also one or two without Wolverine?

Anyway... that was exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks mate.

13. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    In First Class, he only had a very minor cameo.

If you ever feel like rewatching them all, follow this order so your brain doesn't melt:

First Class
    W: Origins
    X1 - X3
    The Wolverine
    DoFP
    Apocalypse
    Logan

14. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If they continue making movies in this continuity, I genuinely don't want to watch them. I know everything turns to shit now, so every victory will just taste like ash in my mouth.

So for me, the movie was fucking brilliant, but maybe not so great for the 'franchise'.

I guess Deadpool is an exception.

15. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Did Xavier not shanghai himself into the body of a coma patient in the post credits scene? I don't think it was Kitty who allowed him to survive.

16. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    While I won't say no to another First Class movie in between Apoc and DoFP ending, it kinda seems like they're finished with the exceptions of New Mutants and the Gambit spinoff with Channing Potatums.

They've already talked about x-23 appearing in future titles, so I expect everything is going to be post Logan from here on out, especially due to the fact that almost every future project is still subject to rewrites and Logan is already killing at the box office.

---------- Post automerged at 01:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 AM ----------

You're right. Totally forgot about that. It was supposed to be his comotose mutant twin or something stupidly ridiculous?

17. AlbusPHolmes

AlbusPHolmes The Alchemist

If you don't mind watching a video, IGN does a decent job at explaining the timeline here

18. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

I should start by saying I loved the movie.

Because I did. I hate myself for not being able to ignore the little things that annoy me.

Adamantium bullets should not be able to penetrate an adamantium skull. Being indestructable does not mean that it has any more force behind it. It should just bounce off. I had this problem with the other Wolverine movie that did this too.

Also, isn't metal poisoning caused by little bits of the metal breaking off and floating through the blood stream? Wouldn't adamantium's indestructibility prevent this?

19. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:

SPACE MAGIC

20. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I suppose it depends on how exactly adamantium is handled in the comics, but in real life a steel-jacketed bullet will punch through steel armor unless it's pretty thick (how thick depends on all the usual factors that go into bullet penetration). My understanding was not that adamantium is literally indestructible, just harder than 99.99% of things out there.

As for how adamantium poisoning would work, I don't think there's any medical precedent for what happens when someone's entire skeleton is coated in metal, but I'm pretty sure that'd be incredibly lethal to anyone without Wolverine's healing factor.