1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Long, quality HP romance?

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Poly, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Poly

Poly First Year

Ok, I posted a similar thread in the wrong place and got nowhere. Second time around will I get lucky? I'll try to be concise.

First off, romance in canon imho is bad(ly written). I realize that without making a story AU, good romance is kinda impossible to write. I however crave me some fluffy, romantic goodness(been in the romance section of the library, not impressed.). Pairing irrelevant, just make it long and meaningful, not necessarily with a happy ending. Bonus points if time travel is involved. Please no soul bonds/multi pairings. A brief list of what I read and enjoyed recently:

Delenda Est
    Pride of Time/Divide of Time
    Backward With Purpose
    His Angel
    A Champion's New Hope
    Harry Potter and the Price of Being Noble(The odd duck who validates soul bond fics :p)
    The Summer of Change
    Hail Odysseus
    The Moment It Began
    Come Once Again and Love Me(My absolute favourite, haters go suck my balls)
    Harry Potter and the Wastelands of Time (AWESOME 2-in-1)
    Ananke
    Rise of a Dark Lord

Thanks in advance for finding me something awesome to read! Would ask in DLP chat, but I've been unable to access it this past week.

2. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If you liked Come Once Again and Love Me, then you'll surely like The Apprentice.

Years of Rebellion is very good. While romance doesn't appear to be a huge focus of the story, much of the plot ends up being guided by it in various ways.

A Butteryfly Effect is... weird. Polarizing is probably the best way to describe it.

Coming Back Late is one of the few good post-DH (sorta) romances. There are a few more chapters available on Portkey.

And, not to toot my own horn, but I did write that one fic, which I think is a better example of a cliche being turned on its head than the Price of Being Noble (if much shorter).

3. gbbz

gbbz Professor

I suppose their is Foolish by Tonksaholic link it is not in the Romance section, but in the RB.

From the Romance I would encourage you to once again read Hocus Pocus Adele Polkiss link, since it's quite good.

From your list I can't quite think of the kind of fics you like, since the genres are all over the place. From "His Angel" to "Hail Odysseus" two fics that are almost polar opposites in structure, worldbuilding and romance.

4. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Let me hit you with two Harry/Fleurs right off the bat.

1. Dagger and Rose DLPer Perspicacity is at the level of intelligence most of us strive to reach but always fall short of. We all hold out hope for seeing the sequel to this. (Hint, hint, Pers, if you're reading) It's 80K+ and finished.

2. I'm sure you've read it, but jbern's The Lie I've Lived is Harry/Fleur, complete, long, and fun. Jim's pretty much the man when it comes to fun fics that are over the top awesome. Also rec: To Fight the Coming Darkness which is Harry/Susan.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  5. Nerox

Nerox High Inquisitor

If you can stomach such things like Snape/Lily, you probably can enjoy the stuff from Jeconais and the others over on fanficauthors.net.

Some are decent, I remember Chattel by Crys(?) being okay. And then there is stuff like Hope etc. pp.

6. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Holy shit, the op list is, in majority, comprised of either shit or at best mediocre pieces.

Edit: to be constructive to the purpose of the thread, chelseab has some Harry/Tonks stories which deserve a mention.

7. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Thinking along the lines of what you have, I'd support checking out stuff by Jeconais like Hope (Harry/Gabrielle), Matroyoshka Vignettes (Harry/Daphne) and This Means War (Harry/Ginny). Another fanficauthors author is Abraxan, whose Refiner's Fire has a great Harry/muggle OC romance before shifting into Harry/Ginny power mode.

You might try out chemprof- his stuff has the merit of being consistent, ever-so-polite and the stories are complete. That said, his version of Hermione is exactly what people complaining about Mary Sue Watson are on about.

...but who am I to taunt others about writing perverse fantasies?

8. prtclehysics

prtclehysics Third Year

My favorite HP romances are Unatoned (Harry/Daphne)
    Every Other Midnight (James/Lily)
    Head Girl (Minerva/Tom, Minerva/Albus)

9. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Gotta agree on A Butterfly Effect. It's one of my favourite mushy guilty-pleasure fics.

10. Nerox

Nerox High Inquisitor

Is it from year one onwards?

11. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There's a bit of a prologue set in 1981, but the main fic starts in year 1, yes. Fair warning: the fic contains characters with severe personality disorders, and really (almost exaggeratedly) terrible stuff happens to a lot of people. On the other hand, the fic plays with some really weird, interesting ideas about magic, and isn't afraid to go full-throttle with giving other characters (including antagonists) their own reasonably coherent agendas.

12. Zeelthor

Not to mention it's sorta abandoned. Well, not really, but the author has apparently had health issues that have gotten in the way for well over a year.

13. Nerox

Nerox High Inquisitor

Urg. Year 1 fics are always such a drag. And it seems the fic is abandoned. I'll leave it be I think. Thanks for the short summary though.

14. Zeelthor

It goes to fourth year.

15. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Hum, your list is mostly compromised by guitly pleasures or near it, menaing you're probably quite new to fanfic, since those were the fics I loved when I started. Yes, even His Angel.

Thunderstom by T3t is fantastic and short, one of my favorite romances. Go with Jeconais, he seems to be something you would like, tha Cwy something with a saxon name that I forgot, it was HP/HG/FD, and it started pretty well. Try the almost recommended thread, it,will do you better for now than the library.

16. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Harry Potter and the Scīenra Cwēna

Super-annoying name to search for.

This was one of the first "romance" fics I read, and I'm scared to go back and read it now, because I'm 99% sure I'd want to smack myself in the face for liking it. I'm pretty sure there's some kind of soul-bond complete with telepathy and golden light special effects. I do remember there being something interesting with spell research or creation later on, but don't hold me to anything I say about it, because I barely remember it.

17. blogwraith

blogwraith Squib

18. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I don't know if they count as 'romance' or not, but I clearly remember thinking that Abraxan's stories had too much romance in them for me. But I have a low tolerance for romance, so ymmv. I think it included canon pairings.

The stories themselves I remember fondly in terms of writing and plot, and they are both complete. It's been years since I read them but my memory rates them at 4/5.

Refiner's Fire
    The Time of Destiny

19. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Holden's stuff.

Prelude to Destiny (James/Lily) and Backfire (Harry/Ginny). I see the author took it down on FF.net, but you can PM to get a copy, apparently. /goes to do that

20. Stan

Stan Order Member

Since you rec'd Backwards with a Purpose, you should try other stuff by the same author.

The Phoenix and the Serpent is must-read, myth class story.

Don E delivery has some great stories that he was apparently too modest to reccomend here. Here is a link.