1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Look here...GS sucked...

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Whoop365, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Not to mention that Marcone's favors aren't free. Even if he never actually called in any direct favors from her, Murphy would always know that she was only be able to keep her job because of Marcone's support, and it would always be in the back of her mind that if Marcone decided to stop supporting her she would be unemployed again.

Then there's the fact that a lot of her fellow cops (and let's not forget she also comes from a cop family) would know or at least suspect that she must have cut some kind of dirty deal to get back on the force.

2. Whoop365

Whoop365 First Year

Ellisande, my post made perfect sense.

And you missed a comma, so your first sentence was a fragment. Deuce.

---------- Post automerged at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 AM ----------

Chengar, I may let you make in on the family thing.

But Marcone offered her the position for taking out the Turtleneck's. So it wasn't for free. And since WHEN can only the bad guys manipulate? Why can't she take the job for taking out the turtlenecks, then do what she wants to do till Marcone gets tired of her in SI.
    Like I said, its not probable for ANY si investigations to mix up with Marcone. And then she has access to every file in the system, and can do a HELL of a lot more good then she was doing just doing lookout with werewolves.

3. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

You're not getting it. She's not willing to be indebted to a criminal. Period. There's really not much more to it. She refuses to owe Marcone anything. That's all it is.

4. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I think you're forgetting that three of the books (including the very first book in the series!) start with SI getting called in on cases involving Marcone: Storm Front, Fool Moon, and Small Favor. Plus his involvement in several of the other books where SI got involved and having people on the inside would have been all kinds of useful (Death Masks immediately springs to mind).

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Why is anyone arguing that Murphy has lost her morals in the first place? I think I must have missed that initial argument in this thread.

In past books, Murphy has always (1) respected the law and tried to follow it (always in spirit and almost always in practice) and (2) done her damnedest to protect the citizens of Chicago from threats, be they supernatural or not.

I don't really see either of those things changing. Murphy's problem, as I have seen it, is that she has to do her best to protect people from within the confines of the law. Her not being on the force anymore doesn't change that. Taking a job offer from Marcone, a known criminal, and entering into his debt with obligations to look the other way about his dealings, would change that.

Yes she is grieving, and lashing out, and out of her depth, but those basic tenets don't seem to have changed much. Perhaps she is starting to accept the fact that mortals who use magic to hurt people are people she can take out without involving the cops, much like Harry finally accepted that killing Warlocks might be a necessary evil, but otherwise? Did I miss something? Because I've only read it once.

As a side note, Murphy has always had Dresden as a partner/equal when dealing with these threats. Yes she'd take back seat to him when magic came into play, but neither of them was subordinate to the other, not really. Now Murphy appears to be flat-out "in charge" of her little group. That is a
    huge difference.

6. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

[​IMG]