1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a book about recovery from traumatic experiences

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Photon, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Photon

Photon Order Member

It may be either describing real events, it may be fiction or anything else.

My only requirement is that it would describe how such process really happens.

Book may be in English or Polish.

Yes, I know, that HP fanfiction tagged as hurt/comfort, angst and similar stories is not readable. But I am not looking for fanfiction (though in theory there may be fanfiction fulfilling this criteria).

2. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Do you mean academically or self-help or just someone's experience of trauma and dealing with it like a boy called it and its follow ups?

3. Photon

Photon Order Member

It may be either of these possibilities, every have some benefits.

I would expect that something academic or some kind of instruction for psychologists would be closest to "describe how such process really happens" and story (maybe in part fictional) would be easier to read.

4. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Well, not so much fiction but A child called it is a really "good" autobiographical account of horrendously severe child abuse. I read it as a teenager from the school library and it has stuck with me. There were two books after it that I've not read.

Also, maybe the book thief which engrossed me pretty thoroughly (not seen the film) it's a story rather than anything particularly factual but it definitely deals with trauma and bad stuff in the second world war.

Stories dealing with recovery are a little outside my wheelhouse but if I think of anything more factual, I'll put it up. The first law - won't link - is a great and big fantasy story: it has a tortured and crippled man who then became a torturer, there are pretty interesting and vivid descriptions of his life and how he manages. But it's a fantastical setting, and that's in the middle of tons of grim and dark shit so maybe, maybe not.

5. omgwhocares

omgwhocares First Year

High Score:
    You might have read it but..

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl

It's an incredible book that I find myself picking up and reading again every few years. The Amazon link I provided has a great description.