1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a co-author

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by The Wasp, Jan 4, 2017.

1. The Wasp

The Wasp First Year

High Score:
    Hey everyone.

I joined this site awhile back and I post pretty sporadically. Real life gets in the way ya know?

Anyway, I've written fics for other fandoms but I aspire to write a solid fanfiction about the HP universe and I would like to have a co-author for the fic. I find that many of the ideas I come up with I have a hard time organizing and putting down to paper.

I'm mainly interested into AU/time travel stuff, but I'm open to any other ideas or suggestions.

PM me if you're interested and we can discuss more details. Best regards!

2. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If you want to write a collaborative fix you're probably better off hanging around irc and posting some of your writing so you can figure out who shares your interests and have them get an idea of the sort of writing you do. Time is precious and most of us rather not commit to something that won't be written or, worse, not match our expectations when it is.

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Lungs is being overly kind.

No one halfway decent is going to want to co-author anything with an unknown.

Hang around the forums and get to know people. That might encourage people to at least listen to you if they trust you aren't an idiot.

Write something really good - got any links to your other fanfics? If you're good then people will work with you even if they don't know you super well. Granted a lot of people still won't, but some will.

Let me emphasize a core concept for writers: Ideas are a dime a dozen. We all have ideas, even folks who don't write have ideas.

Your post reminds me of that joke about the guy who has an amazing idea for a novel, and if you'll write it for him he'll be kind enough to give you 20% of the profits.

I don't want to be mean or discourage you, but I do want to emphasize that you've given no one here any reason to consider working with you. You haven't told us your idea, you haven't mentioned if you plan to actually write it yourself and just need help brainstorming or if you want your co-author to do most of the writing, etc. You don't post a lot. You haven't linked to any of your current work.

Give someone a reason to follow up with you or no one is likely to do so.

Cheers! Hope to see you around more soon.

4. 13thadaption

13thadaption Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I'll add that writing with other people is hard, it's a very involved relationship. Besides compensating and complementing each other's strengths and weaknesses, you have to be able to communicate with each other really well. Not everyone clicks. I've had to co-author stuff that wasn't fanfiction and it was miserable, even though I liked and respected the people I was working with. 10 years ago I might have signed on for an idea I really liked, but I'm pretty sure anyone with experience isn't going to sign on for an open casting call .

5. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As someone who's done it before, co-authoring is a terrible idea. Inevitably, you're not going to be 100% satisfied with some of the directions taken and when that happens, it's game over.