1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for epic Stargate fics :)

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Burt, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Burt

Burt Fourth Year

Let me first clarify the word "epic:" I'm looking for stories with complex relationships, detailed backgrounds, and world-changing events. Fics that have some actual literary merit.

Some of the stories that I've read that fit this description are Empress in the Shadows by voider, Stargate: 1939 and its sequel by CaptainChewbacc (rest in peace, dude, you were great :) ), and Stargate: Commonality by Keiren Halcyon.

Let's see what you guys can come up with :sherlock: :awesome

2. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I'm not generally big on Stargate fics, so I've only got one rec:

XSGCOM
    As the name implies, it's a crossover/fusion with old!XCOM, where instead of the Russians finding the second gate, it's XCOM. Then the two series' collide and shenanigans ensue.

3. Burt

Burt Fourth Year

I'm not familiar with XCOM but I'm going to give it a shot

4. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Problem with XSGCOM is the dialogue feels artificial and unconvincing. If you can get past that, it's worth doing so, because the story is pretty entertaining.

5. Burt

Burt Fourth Year

Agayek, thanks for the rec. And Tehan, I basically agree with your assessment of the story based on what I've read of it so far. Essentially, it's all action and the dialog, despite a few spots of genius that sent me into (manly) giggles, is overall pretty lackluster. There's no feeling. No connections between the characters, no romance, only a bit of rather poorly-done intrigue, no sense of grandness or minute detail. So while it's pretty good, it's not really what I was looking for.

Any other recs? Major AUs or crossovers please apply too =D

6. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Apparently no one in this story believes in wearing clothing. Humanity is a giant nudest colony. Which the author likes to describe.

7. Burt

Burt Fourth Year

yep great stuff lol

8. Radmar

Radmar Disappeared

I have read this one story a while ago. It is most epic stargate story that I had pleasure of reading. Not much about relationships, though.

A New Dawn by AlexanderD

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  9. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

So yeah. Ambitious ideas, definitely wanting to tie up everything from the three shows, and an interesting take on some things.

That said- pretty shitty writing.

The writing quality is below average. The tone is bland and boring- no character ever seems to show emotion EVER. If you replaced all of the characters names with the names of kitchen utensils it probably wouldn't make a difference at all.

It's GodMode!Tauri, with the Asgard miraculously coming back to life, the Furlings introducing themselves and the Alterans deciding to Descend to help everybody out. Nothing bad happens to the Earth, they quickly start building ships that surpass everything, and nobody ever seems to have any problems ever.

I wouldn't be calling it 'the most epic stargate story'. It's pretty meh, and I've read better.

10. Radmar

Radmar Disappeared

A new dawn was first story that I've read in english language and I didn't read it since, so sorry for that. I didn't realise that it was badly written, because I didn't have anything to compare it with. I should probably think more before posting something. :)

11. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

Hey, if you like it, then you like it. Story preferences are personal opinions, after all. I was merely disagreeing with that opinion. Just because I don't agree doesn't mean you're wrong, or that you can't enjoy the story.

Also, as long as your posting something productive, post as much as you want. As you see, if we don't like something we'll soon tell you.

12. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Anyone know of any fics that have realistic technology and achievements (like the F302 not being a flying brick on par with a Generation 3 Fighter/Bomber), an SGC/Earth that doesn't have the Idiot Ball, and a more paramilitary approach to the Stargate's use?

13. headbanger22

headbanger22 Third Year

14. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Eh the writing is really mediocre in those Darksider stories... and the plot also isn´t that good or believable.