1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Lost Time by Oddball-no.2 - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Avitus, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Avitus

Avitus Groundskeeper

Title: Lost Time
    Author: Oddball-no.2
    Rating: T (PG-13)
    Genre: General
    Pairing: None yet, possible Hr/R
    Summary: Hogwarts was burned to the ground while Harry and co. were left to fend for themselves. What none of them expected was a second chance to make up for lost time. A.U. NonHBP Compliant.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2699328/1/

I like it, lots of lineage and magical creature features, basically the Prophecy causes Harry's last effort to kill Voldemort to malfunction, and send him back to his birth, bringing along Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Fred and George. A few random moments, but its pretty long and is fairly cliché and :stained free. i'd give it 3.5 out of 5 so far.

2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I think I remember something with these characters' spirits floating from one birth to the other and possesing the babies... If that's it, then I dropped this in start coz it seemed too much like just another "twue fwiends 4evew" crap fest (with high potential for H/G pairing). If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

3. Avitus

Avitus Groundskeeper

erm...you're sort of right, they return as spirits to just before Fred and George are born, after their birth, Hermione, Ginny, Ron and Harry travel the world and do some spying/info gathering... no fluff at all, the last chapter left off with a three year old Harry as Lord Black granting Narcissa a divorce from Lucius, and claiming Draco as a Black. Its actually very nicely done, if a bit slow to begin with. It doesn't really pick up until chapter 3, but after that, its awesome!

4. Tobang

Tobang Fourth Year

I love the idea behind this story but it is very rarely well done…this is one of the few, it has my stamp of approval.

*Slight spoilers warning*

The Lilly in this story is just amazingly well done, it’s a shame she still died I would of LOVED to read a story with that Lilly raising Harry. This story is worth reading just to read about that Lilly’s personality. He even managed to tactfully pull off Lilly being the heir of slytherin and make it interesting.

*Major spoilers warning*

My one complaint is that it does have one part were Harry lives with Durslys for a while taking abuse while he could easily escape…he was being starved, thrown outside in freezing weather, and just all around mistreated for a while, and Harry just takes it when he could easily escape…at least he left after the first beating…but Harry still waited way to long in my opinion. Not to mention one of the main themes of the story is development of magic, and it said again and again that being starved like that was permanently stunting his magic…in other words it was just frustrating to read, but it was thankfully over and done with rather quickly.

It also has one complete WTF scene that is looking like it’s not going to be explained anytime soon.

*End Spoiler*

He is making up magic left and right in the story and it’s absolutely awesome. And I’m not only talking about wand waving magic, he is making up new talents left and right and it is highly interesting.

The story is also looking like it’s going to be VERY different, so no worries about cannon clones. Frankly, if he managed to pull of a canon clone right now I’d be more impressed then disappointed. With how different his world is it would be a feat to make it all fit in with canon.

One other thing that is either a good thing or bad thing depending on who you are is how he plays the story out. He goes on for like 2-3 (long) chapters about each main character that will span a few years then he will back track and do 2-3 chapters with the next person…then again. It kind of spoilers itself at some times b/c the character briefly interact, and it can get kinda confusing for you inner timeline of the story. But then again it allows him to go in depth about each character, which is a good thing b/c he is really changing a lot and they are each very interesting.

As for the fact that the friends are all lovey dovey I will agree…sorta…they barely in contact with each other at the moment. But I do think this will eventually be H/G H/R, but I promise you it’s one worth reading. (In the beginning there is one scene with Ron dieing that is just ugh…but there hasn’t been a scene since.)

All and all it looks like it going to be a lot of politics and unique cool magic coming up in this story, and I would recommend it to anyone on this site.

5. Rain

Rain Pirate Navigator of the 7 Seas

I recommend it too. It's an excellent story. Well written, original ideas, and is interseting to the core.

I was hooked!

I could even stand the Ginny character they had, and that's a feat. It does take a bit to get around to the "Harry" part of the equation (After they join their past bodies, that is), but I can see why the author would do that. It was a very enjoyable story. However, I admit that I've yet to read the last two chapters. I'll come back and edit this once I get some sleep if my opinion changes.

*wanders off to sleep*

6. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I still hate it that there are so many Weasleys and that they are all friends for ever and ever and that no one is mudblood any more.

But other than that, this story is truly brilliant. Exactly the thing I like - new magical concepts and refreshing originality on each step. The author actually explains how magic works, instead of just using it to make the characters look cool.

Highly recomended, even with the rednecks on each step and potential H/G pairing on the way.

7. cu_cullen9

cu_cullen9 Second Year

The reason why I think harry stayed for so long was because he couldn't remeber anything before a certian time like his mind blocked the memory from him no matter what he tried to do to remove it. I think he was staying to figure out what happened that his mind felt the need to protect itself so much.

8. saL

saL Second Year

i didn't like the story that much, ironically because of the same arguments you bring up as positive: making up talents left and right just doesn't fit in the way i see magic
    i like it when figures develope and show strengths and weaknesses and consequently hate it when it goes like: and then we test you for this and ohhh you have 3 talens in bla bla bla and when we test you sometime later you might even have a talent in bla... you get my meaning
    if a story is written that way it seems more like some kind of card game where the one collecting the most talents wins
    then the lineage part, i admit it follows its own logic but i just dont like it that much that, just because you have a powerful ancestor you are bound to be powerful and vice versa but thats just my opinion
    (though of course like hermione said in the 2nd book if you would look long enough back you probably had ancestors of EVERY wizarding family)
    the lily part is a nice idea with controlling james and all but i dont like the fact that in the end she just simply agrees to what she knows will be her certain death (of course it must be that way for the stories sake...so i guess thats ok) so in the end the positive aspects of this story are too few to make this a good one

9. tridentwatch

tridentwatch Looked into the void

Ok i finished reading most of it... WORST STORY EVER. God this story just sucks. The crap you can smell from 1000 miles away here. Are most of ff.net's stories this crappy or is it just me? :puke: :chainsaw: :splatter: :mid1 :axe: :mid6 I cant begin to say how disgusted i am with fan fiction.net's crappy storiees. Everywhere i look all i see is crap. Geez so annoying.

Anyways, I just hated the friends forever part and I am hungry and there is no food in my house so i am pissed :x

10. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Okish at the start but then it just got crap. i agree with saL. You cant just randomly give charcters talents.

11. arkeus

arkeus Seventh Year

While i usualy don't like "talents", this is probably the only fic that could pull it off. No one is nice anymore, everyone is jaded, and we keep waiting for one of the main characters to fall under the imperious or something like that.

12. Sanctimonius

Sanctimonius Guest

I read this one a while ago, and while i agree that it's a bit random, you've got to give the author credit for his/her ideas. Overall the story was pretty good and it gets 4 out of 5 stars from me.