1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Lucifer

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Peter North, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Interest in this show is dropping, and fast.

Lucifer retaining his devilish abilities was my biggest draw for this. If that's gone, there won't be much left.

Or maybe we'll find out next episode that only Chloe can actually hurt him. Which is meh, but could potentially be worked into something.

2. Rache

Rache Headmaster

The show is losing any interest it had at the time of the pilot leak. Its becoming another cop sidekick routine and of something drastic doesn't happen, I'll be dropping this.

3. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I think the strong implication is that it's the latter, given Amenadiel's talk of finding a weak spot and how he could still work his charms on the captain. It also explains why his powers don't work on Chloe.

That said, yeah, they need to start moving the actual plot forward much faster. Buddy cop with the occasional info drop is not that engaging, and is frankly a waste of an interesting premise as much as the premise is a waste of the comic, not to mention a fairly good performance by whoever is playing Lucifer.

4. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I think the fact that bothered me most was the classic 'Resetting' thing that they went for, where any sort of progress done was done purely for momentary drama and was never meant to actually progress the plot.

This is what they did regarding Lucifer and Chloe here, and I hate it. They could have moved things slower if they didn't want anything revealed so soon, but no, they had to bring Chloe to the brink of believing, only to reset things back to how they were on episode 1 regarding this.

I hate resetting as a device. Don't do it in the first place if you're just going to erase it.

5. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It was an okay episode, but the buddy cop routine is getting silly. We get little to no indication that Chloe is doing any police work that doesn't involve Lucifer (IE, a throw away line or two about how she was busy last week, which is why they didn't see each other).

Also, I don't think Chloe is entirely human. Because that way there'll be a 'brilliant' scene where Lucifer finds it funny that a nephilim doesn't believe in Heaven and Hell.

The show is still interesting, but it's only just holding on to me.

6. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I'm pretty sure it has to do with Chloe specifically. It makes more sense since she's also immune to his other powers that Lucifer hasn't had a problem with in any situation but with her.

I'm hoping it's something more than her just being half angel or something because if Nephilims were immune to Angels and could hurt them, I would imagine that this would be known, and would be Lucifer's first theory. Someone being able to hurt an Angel in such a way must be unheard of for Lucifer to believe that the problem is with himself.

I'm still pretty interested. The whole plot reset thing is a little disappointing of course, and my biggest fear is that we won't get a season 2 and season 1 won't answer anything at all.

7. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Well, I just saw the new episode.

Lucifer's brother is making moves.

8. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I like the new developments purely they will eventually lead to something. Amenadiel and Maze conspiring will eventually force Lucifer to stop playing around and actually do something.

The procedural portion of this is potentially the most dull of all episodes so far. I don't understand why they're trying so hard to stick to it. Do they really need it to fill screentime this badly?

9. Andrela

Procedural stuff is very popular now.

You have Sherlock, Elementary, Limitless, iZombie...

Not to mention several hundred versions of CSI.

10. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Procedural stuff has always been popular, but this is a show about the fucking Devil. Seriously, I don't mind the cop chick being involved, but can we have more devil stuff happening please?

The show was interesting to start, but it's slowly starting to lose me. That last episode really didn't help.

11. Andrela

And the show takes a twist!

I like where this is heading.

I suspect Lucifer's brother stole them.

12. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Lucifer scrambling for an answer to the therapist was a great touch. All the therapist-Lucifer scenes were great this episode (last one especially).

Lucifer's influence on Trixie is awesome. Maze is great.

I don't think it was Amenadiel who made the theft. He already has a ploy underway, I don't think the writers would give him a second one. Having said that, Amenadiel sure is smooth. Hell, even I found myself nodding along as he talked to Linda.

The stealing of Lucifer's wings is potentially a nod/parallel to the comics, however much the show has stayed away from them. I hope they do something at least half as awesome as comics Lucifer wings arc. I have high hopes for this.

Also, Lucifer character development. Finally. Here's to hoping it doesn't get reset next episode.

This episode was great exactly because of the incredibly little focus on the procedural side of things. It was almost entirely plot, and I loved it.

Edit: Also, this song is awesome.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  13. Infidel

Infidel Auror

The rage and loss that he displayed in the last episode were delicious. I'm looking forward to his search of who actually stole them and his retribution when he finds them. If they reset him to be a happy, charming guy in the next episode, I'm going to loose the little interest I had left.

This series has a lot of potential. I hope it lives up to it. The writers need to stop trying to keep the status quo and move the story along, try to get the characters to change, evolve and learn from the new situation they are in. Else, it becomes every other cop show.

14. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

I actually like the exhusband tbh

15. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Yeah, 'Detective Douche' is actually portrayed fairly well. It's clear to us, as unbiased observers, that he's a decent guy who's genuinely worried about Chloe and Trixie, and this latest episode especially emphasised that. I also like Ellis' acting, always have. There was a moment in one of the earlier episodes where he'd just gotten angry at Maz, and then Chloe came in, and he turned to her with a smile and continued conversation. If you look closely, you can see that he's not nearly as jovial as he normally is during those kind of conversations, that he's still seething from the earlier fight.

The latest episode was definitely a step in the right direction, moving away from the procedural stuff, and from the looks of it the next one should be more plot focused as well, so I'm definitely hopeful for this. More so than I was before this episode, anyway.

16. Andrela

Here's the promo for the next episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tm1-ONFdhg

Looks like Lucifer teams up with Amenadiel in order to recover his wings!

17. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Promises to be an awesome episode, and you know what? Not a wink of procedural case on that trailer!

Plot for the win.

18. Armani

Armani Second Year

I have watched all of the episodes so far, another one is coming out today. Though I am mildly interested in this, and as everyone stated, it is decent. It's a good show if you've got time to kill, or if you're just bored and you want to watch something decently good. And as Moridin said, I am definitely more hopeful for this episode to be better than the others. Of course, one can only hope...

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  19. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

Hrmm....this Episode wasn't bad. It was definitely above what it has been for the first few episodes, actually. And the ending was pretty great.

But the whole arc itself was...I don't know, disappointing? It wasn't bad, but it felt like it wasted a lot of potential.

20. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I liked the fact that Lucifer just shared the fact of his bleeding just like that with Amenadiel. Nice touch.

The rest has to be spoilered, just in case:
    Holy shit but did stuff happen.

Zero procedural! Guess what that means! Character advancement! Plot progression! All that and more!

It turns out it really was Amenadiel. On one hand, perhaps it was a tad bit underwhelming but on the other, I'm glad they didn't use this chance to shoehorn in a bigger, badder antagonist or something.

I just like everything about the wings. Anything to do with them and their plot.

Lucifer said that the fakes would be able to fool anyone except their original owner. I still hold out hope that he burned the copies and stashed the real ones, if only because I really, really want to see him as an Angel eventually. But even if those were the real ones he burned, that still means immense character development for Lucifer. Perhaps it won't affect anything immediate, but it's a good step.

Depending on which of the two types of wings were burned, the type of feather Mazikeen held becomes a subject of question. A feather saved from the fire, proof that the wings Lucifer burned are fake and that Maze knows about it? Or maybe the last remains of Lucifer's divinity, which Maze holds and waits to offer at the right moment?

I can't wait to find out.

Also, holy shit that ending. Amenadiel legit confuses my feelings. He really makes me feel both ways about him. It seems that (so far) he is indeed a a genuine force of good, if perhaps misguided and owner of a darker side that he won't admit to and rarely shows. He truly feels like an Angel, sent on a mission that might ask too much of him.

Amazing characterization on Amenadiel. Massive kudos.

Needless to say, I loved this episode as well.