Oneshot Luck of the Draw by Kryal - T - Miraculous Ladybug

Discussion in 'Other Review Board' started by Nemrut, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage Prestige

High Score:
    Title: Luck of the Draw
    Author: Kryal
    Rating: T
    Genre: Gen
    Length: 1339
    Summary:
    Link: Ao3 ff.net

Don't think we have many Ladybug stories on DLP yet, haven't delved that far into the fandom yet and waiting for season 2 to come out on German Netflix before I truly dive into the pool there but from what I found the stories seem to be pretty good.

This one was the best I have seen so far. I really love one-shots like this, when the author is able to spin concepts and hooks into compelling and thoughtful stories that just resonate. I honestly kept thinking about this story from time to time. The take on the magic and the people behind the masks over the course of centuries was fascinating and I really appreciate the thought and imagination the author put into this. It's short but very poignant. A/Ns can be hit or miss but this one was very much a hit and I would read actual essays by her. Same author who wrote that Stargate and ATLA crossover, btw.

So yeah, 5/5, must read if you like Miraculous Ladybug. Not sure how much you'd get out of this if you don't know the source material, I think you should at least be somewhat aware of it but you don't need to have watched every episode or anything.

2. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Tactical Tomato DLP Supporter

I remember reading this a ways back. Very interesting way of looking at their luck, and how it might affect their character. Solidly written. 3.5/5 from me.

3. CareOtters

CareOtters Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

As a stranger to the fandom, I didn't really follow this too well. The writing was okay, for the most part, but it honestly felt like a character study author's note - the perfect segue into the way that an a/n comprised a full third of this fic's length. It seemed insightful and was an engaging read, but would have been better suited to a forum post than a fanfic tbh.

3/5

4. Download

Download Supreme Mugwump DLP Supporter

Kryal's work on ML has been pretty disappointing so far. I'd give her (?) Avengers/ML fic a better score than this and I really hate the backstory written for that. That said, I don't think I should rate.