1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Magic School

Discussion in 'Original Fiction Discussion' started by Joe, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

[​IMG]

2. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

Hmm, I may be showing my bias here, but I think what is needed most in a magical school setting is an underlying weirdness factor juxtaposing the mundane aspects of traditional schooling. Enough to show that there's some real magic in between the boring day to day of casually defying natural law.

Plus it allows you to explain interesting nuts and bolts magic while keeping the mystery alive. You get to be Sanderson and Guy Gavriel Kay at the same time. You know, minus the accolades and success.

The Name of the Wind did this quite well. Your own fic An Unfound Door also comes to mind.

From a marketability perspective, I'd be willing to bet the outsider looking underneath the underneath and seeing the world for how it really really is appeals to the special snowflake in all of us. Gotta trick those damn kids into reading somehow.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014