1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Magic: the Gathering

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Thaumologist, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Does anyone have any decent/guilty pleasure MtG story recs, preferably either finished or still ongoing, that focus on Planeswalkers?

I've had a poke around on SB and SV, but most of them end up being multi-crosses with loads of anime that I don't watch, or cult classics from the 80s. Which is fine, but they tend to then focus on the crossovers, not the MtG character.

Surprisingly, QQ is much better for stories that focus on the MtG side of the story (by that, I mean I've found about four or five), although they run the risk of turning into mindless smut sometimes.

I read By the Gods a while back, but it's been dead for two years now, so I don't think it's coming back. There's also Knocking on Heaven's Door, which doesn't go too far into detail on any single one of the crossovers (there's just buttloads of them, and they change every chapter.

Hiver's done a decent series starting with That First Step, and I'm not too unfamiliar with Azeroth... But I've read the series a few times now.

Bonus internet points if the story puts a decent focus on canon MtG planes.

2. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I haven't seen anything worthwhile. It's a pretty tough universe (multiverse) to write for, mostly because most things are fairly cut and dry, and that leads to some generic characters which just aren't that interesting. That being said, I would love to see something set during the Brother's War or Weatherlight Saga, rather than current events. Everything I've personally tried to write just really hasn't worked out.

3. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I always did like the lore surrounding mirrodin.

I've never really found much that I liked from the fandom though. It tends to be filled with half assed Mary-sue and poorly done crossovers.

4. Slasher

Slasher Squib

High Score:
    Are you looking for AU type stuff? Other then that I'm not sure if you'll find much. If you go to FFN and pop in different filters you might be able to find a good fic.

5. Thaumologist

High Score:
    Escaping Phyrexia seems pretty good from what I've read so far. It's another SI (female, for once), but it looks like they've actually gone into M:tG, rather than just bouncing between their favourite TV shows. It's also set pre-mending, so the main character is an Oldwalker, with all that entails.

It does look like it interacts with By the Gods (linked in first post), so if you've read that then you'll have an idea where the story is going.

On the plus side, it deals with mtg lore - how planeswalkers work, how mana works, summoning and so on. It also has a sequel... But it's been dead for over two years. The author writes other stuff still, and I didn't see any reason why the wouldn't come back to it (apart from the time), but I doubt it'll happen.

EDIT
    Got up to near the end - something like four snippets left of act 1. But it felt like a chore to read through, and I wasn't really enjoying it. The author stated a few times that we had an unreliable and insane narrator, and some of the snippets just don't add anything - it skips between slice of life fluff pieces and random ramblings of a mad inventor.

I'd prefer canon-compliant-ish stuff, although I don't mind if the MC bounces around other fandoms. The background behind M:tG always interests me, but it often seems to get left behind for flashier stories.

I remember the book that came with the Coldsnap fat pack, which looked into training a young mage. He and his tutor had issues, because the tutor was (I think) mostly white aligned, and the MC was red, which meant that meditating on the tranquility of the grasslands did nothing for him... Until he thought of the storms roiling in from over the mountains of his youth, and then fireballed the shit out of people. So anything like that would be really cool

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  6. Dalem

Dalem Squib

High Score:
    Not sure if it is what you are looking for as there is little to no planes walking but A Song of Chaos is pretty good. It is a cross over with young justice but the focus is on a MtG mage SI type character who trys to actively avoid becoming involved with superheroes or supervillians.

7. Thaumologist

High Score:
    Thanks, I'll definitely give it a try!

8. Dalem

Dalem Squib

High Score:
    Depending on how bored you are I might also mentionNight of Rime. It is a straight MtG fanfic about planeswalkers. I have not finished this one so I can not really say how good it is. I started it and found it to be fairly good but it was not truly captivating so when life intervened I forgot about it and never finished reading. There is a tvtropes page which may help you decide if it is worth your time.