1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Making Magick by Mashadar - K+ - Magicka / Familiar of Zero

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, and Comics' started by Xanastian, May 8, 2012.

1. Xanastian

Xanastian Squib

Title: Title: Making Magick
    Author: Mashadar
    Rating: K+
    Genre: Humour
    DLP Category: Other Fandoms
    Pairing: None
    Summary: The unlikeliest of crossings. The most improbable of incidents. The most hilarious of universes. A considerably different sort of crossover. Sanity is for the weak anyway.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7667766/1/Making_Magick

A !crackfic whereby Loiuse falls into the world of Magicka with chaos following her as she tries to wrap her head around this new and strange world with different rules to magic.

Not fantasticly long at 2 chapters in (might be abandoned but I'm hoping not) but a good read none the less. I especially like how the Magicka characters were portrayed as they felt unique and yet true to the game. The crossover was so weird when I first saw it but I grew to like it after reading this fic. I'd also recommend Manayan's other fics but I'm not sure if they're up to DLP quality.

Rating: 4/5

2. Testament

Testament Seventh Year

I posted this in Almost Recommendable section a while back mostly because while being well written and funny, there isn't a real plot yet. In another chapter or two we may start seeing the meat of the story but at the moment it's just Louise having a breakdown while chaos ensues around her.

TLDR: Good read so far but too early to rate.

Also, Robo Jesus provided a link to smaller snippets of this posted up on SpaceBattles.com

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  3. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

Those are technically "Ex" canon snippets at the moment. It started out as a a joke premise which once Mash starting writing out got a lot of support and started building up steam until it became an actual story in its own right.

The premise for the story is
    Louise gets summoned to Midgard, and Halkeginia goes to hell in a hand-basket without the heroes there to save the day, up until the remaining survivors try out a desperate gamble and try a risky summoning ritual, bringing someone long thought dead unexpectedly back.

The two completed chapters are basically the initial setup towards reaching that goal. The writer is very skilled, the humor is superb, and the characterization is amusing. The only issue is the author isn't spending a lot of time on that story due to other story projects in the works as well.

4/5, if only because I know updates are going to be slow as hell.

4. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Hmmmm.... no one else?

This story still has a week, but based on the current statistics with 234 people visiting this thread and only two reviewing, I would move it into the Recycling Bin.

5. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Never played Magicka but still enjoyed this fic. Read it at work and had to try very hard not to start laughing in every scene.

Somehow despite the utter crack nature of the Midgard universe, Louise is a well crafted character who is struggling to come to terms with the ridiculousness of the universe she finds herself in.

I am looking forward to see where this goes (since the humour will start to get old after a while if they don't start to introduce something else to the story).

With only two chapters out, its hard to rate since fics like this often decline, despite a fantastic start. Minion, that's probably why there's been so few reviews.

6. Robo Jesus

Besides that, the reviews have been very positive for what little (23,000+up words) there is.

7. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    All Hail the Beardmaster!

I'm going to have to pick up this anime. This and the Napoleon one are pretty damn amusing.

8. Robo Jesus

If you have to catch up on the series, try either the Manga or Light Novels, but avoid the anime version like it was the bloody plague. The anime version is that bad.:(

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  9. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Bah. I prefer watching the big explode-y, action-y ones rather than reading them (the magic looks cooler when it's animated), but I suppose I can skip this one, if it is that bad. Manga time ahoy!

10. Robo Jesus

Well, an update for Chapter 3 was posted a day or so ago. I laughed so hard I started having problems breathing.:D

11. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

This fic. This author. <3

12. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Yes, finally made it to FF.net. Can't stand reading stories on SB even if there are definitely some quality pieces there. One of the better comedies I've seen come out in quite a while and this chapter only serves to emphasize that.

13. thebrute7

thebrute7 High Inquisitor

I would like to point out that this updated today, which I noticed over on SpaceBattles.

Also, damn. I am pretty sure this is the funniest story I have read in a long,long time. I don't remember the last time I laughed so much. The way it grasps the utter insanity of Magicka is just too amusing.

14. yojorocks

yojorocks Seventh Year

Very nice find - really captures the absurdity of Magicka without destroying Louise's characterization You can practically see her sanity fracturing as the story progresses; I can't wait to see more.