1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (New Joss Whedon TV Show)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Rubicon, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Watched it and it was fine. Better than I was expecting it to be after its trailers. And while I understand it's just a pilot, I remember Firefly's pilot that made me understand why everybody is speaking highly about that show. This time Whedon will need more time to convince me that he didn't forget how to make a great show, but I'm willing to wait.

Few problems that future episodes can easily solve. Too generic cast though they have a potential. Right now Coulson basically carries the show. I like Brits though, but understand that this type of character is annoying for most.

Plot wise it will be less about coming up with good concepts than choosing a right ones from existing comics. Can't say which option is harder.

Any bets how long before the plane-base crashes?

2. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Watched it, was decent as expected. Nothing mind blowing, but definitely something I'll follow in the hopes that it becomes awesome.

3. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I enjoyed it. I think the major problem was that we only got 40 minutes of an introduction to over half a dozen characters on top of the fact that most of it was trying to solve the mystery of the week. I think the Pilot would have been better as a 2 hour thing rather than 1.

And holy balls, Charles Gunn looks oooold.

4. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I enjoyed the premiere, but I don't really give a crap about any of the chars save for Coulson, and of course, Robin Sparkles, who unfortunately won't be in the show regularly.

That said, if there's one thing Whedon is good at it's producing likeable, realistic characters... so I'm not all that worried. Danger, Danger Will Robinson; char dev eps incoming.

5. Glapsvior

Glapsvior First Year

Btw, the asian chick is Mulan.

6. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Maria Hill delivering one liners seemed a bit off from her movieverse personality.

Coulson was awesome. The bit about the other avengers not knowing he was alive seemed slightly unrealistic as I'd gather Stark would've found out eventually.

LMD theory is still a go.

The two tech guys seem a bit cliche, like every other crime show's tech people.

I liked it all in all.

7. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

I thought it was awful. Typical model casting and cheesy dialogues. The whole direction and script felt really shallow to me with a family target audience in mind. I would expect professionals in a Shield series and not this kind of persiflage. Phil Coulson was unintentionally subliminal funny in the films. Here it was the opposite.

This will go the way of Revolution.

8. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Hill was dealing with an alien invasion throughout most of the Avengers, so it's not unbelievable that she is a lot more easy going under calmer circumstances. Also if you watch the deleted scenes on the DVD she had conflicting loyalties between Fury and the World Council the whole time the invasion was going on, so all in all it was a pretty stressful situation for her.

Tony Stark isn't omniscient, either. He had to be on board the Helicarrier to hack their systems last time, and it still took him hours. Since then he's been dealing with PTSD, working on the Iron Legion (I hope I got the name right there) and dealing with AIM. I doubt he's had time to really search for something that he has no reason to suspect, and that Fury is purposefully keeping from him. Better question is whether Hawkeye/Black Widow know, considering they've worked closely with Coulson in the past and are actual members of SHIELD.

For the time being anyway the Avengers not knowing about Coulson stands as a good in story reason for them not being called in to help the team out.

I'm withholding judgement for the time being on the show until I see more. I didn't dislike it, but I didn't absolutely love it like I do most Marvel and/or Whedon stuff. So I'm hoping with the introductory stuff out of the way things will start to pick up - characters being fleshed out hopefully being a priority.

Also I'm kind of hoping he isn't a LMD, simply because it's the obvious choice and people were guessing that the minute the show was announced. At the very least I hope he was a LMD from the beginning, as that's slightly more interesting than the alternative.

9. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

First episode. It was good. As others have said, it's not something entirely new like Firefly and not as awesome.

Looking forward to more.

10. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Hill seemed to strike me as the strict kinda of person all the time- she seems to dislike Fury's way of doing things aswell, so from that, I assumed she was the stick in the mud of the group.

Didn't think Stark was omniscient, but with Jarvis commenting on "checking SHIELD's files" it was a toss up between him having a permanent back door into their system, or him being allowed access.

LMD is the biggest theory, but it seems implied that Coulsons memories of being shipped off for rehab might be faked, or something like that.

11. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The tone felt too campy at times. That's a complaint I have with the MCU in general though, so at least it's consistent I guess.

I'm fine with most of the characters, initially at least, and I figure they'll get development later. In particular I liked the superpowered guy, Mike. Coulson was cool, I'm interested in what happened with him. Could be an LMD, but I'd hate it if they actually did kill him and just replaced him with a robot with fake memories. I could never like this Coulson if I knew he wasn't real. I'm kind of hoping he might have some connection to Death actually, tie it up with Thanos a bit.

The only one I actively dislike is the hacker girl. For someone who lives in a fucking van, she looks way too pretty. She's not even "TV homely," she's straight out of a shampoo commercial. She's also too witty and confident. Not to mention the Hollywood hacker thing, where they try to portray a character as being smart and fail at it.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it she pretty much looks like fucking Olivia Munn, which reinforces the fake nerd thing even more for me.

All in all, it's okay for a pilot.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  12. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I'm guessing he's some kind of a clone. Tho gotta admit i'm pretty curious about what happened to Coulson.

13. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Since they seemed to play up his injuries and how he's pushing himself, I'd find it awesome if the real Coulson is bed bound or something and when clone/lmd!coulson finds out we see a scene between them.

14. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The biggest surprise from this pilot is that none of you noticed Shepherd Book making an appearance.

15. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

He had his hair cut.

[Of course we noticed.]

'Hey, it's Ron Glass. I saw his name on the opening credits. I wonder if he's just a doctor or the project manager for the LMD?'

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  16. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I tuned out about half-an-hour in at the truth serum scene. Everything was dumb and ridiculous, and I didn't like any of the characters. After the Avengers, I knew it wouldn't live up to my expectations, but damn, that was just bad.

17. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I was pretty bored by it and probably won't be tuning in again. (Unless they do something unexpectedly awesome.)

There's just nothing new here at all. Nothing that I haven't seen in half a dozen other TV shows before. You've got your standard assortment of half a dozen different (sometimes quirky) characters who solve some kind of supernatural/sci-fi case of the week.
    If there's anything here that I couldn't get by just watching Warehouse 13 or something similar, I haven't seen it.

18. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Banned

It'll honestly be the Marvel mythos I want. If it isn't really explored, I probably will stop watching.

19. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't watch that much TV, comparatively, so I'm not familiar enough with this type of show to have grown tired of it. Plus the fact that it's in the MCU and not some SyFy original thing makes me more inclined to go with this than that Warehouse 13 show.

20. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It was fun. It didn't reinvent the wheel, you could see Whedon's fingerprints all over it (I love his stuff, but the dramatic change in Hill's and to an extent Coulson's personality is more grist to the mill for those people who say he writes the same characters all the time), it was a little cheesy, the plot was kinda average...but it was fun. I laughed at the jokes, the gadgets were cool, the acting was fine if not stunning, looks like there's some interesting background to be developed.

I'll tune in again for episode 2. I'll probably be online or writing or something while I'm watching it, but I'll tune in.