1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Marvel's The Defenders

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Andrela, May 3, 2017.

1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

We now have the official trailer, I am so hyped right now.

This is gonna be awesome, I know it. Even Danny Rand can't ruin this.

[yt]4h3m7B4v6Zc[/yt]

2. deyas

deyas Groundskeeper

It's looking like Matt's identity isn't going to stay secret for long. I'm okay with this. The only sincere hope I have is that this series, well, isn't as shitty as Iron Fist ended up being. From the few moments of Danny's dialog we see in this trailer, though, I'm not terribly optimistic.

3. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Iron Fist wasn't bad per se...it was more just trying something different. I'll admit it's my least favorite of the series so far, but it wasn't bad.

It's fitting that a Kung fu show has the weakest plot of these series ya know? Lol

Psyched for defenders. Gonna be great.

4. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I only watched one episode of Iron Fist and just skimmed the rest. My overall impression was that there was no clear vision how to handle it, but they were in hurry to make it because of upcoming The Defenders.

The fact that the main actor, who isn't a martial arts master, wasn't even given time to train to at least appear on a screen like one, mostly confirms this suspicion.

As for this series, it's hard to predict how good it will be. On the one hand, the guy responsible for it did the second season of Daredevil which was solid. One the other, the solid part was mostly the Punisher, with the Hand part of it being a lot worse. Then again, the interactions between the main characters is what will either make or break this series.

Overall, I'm waiting, but not impatiently.

5. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It does look awesome...but, it has to be said, the Netflix series have slowly been getting worse - I still haven't finished Iron Fist, although that's more because I'm finding it dull than because it's the outright travesty so many are making it out to be.

Still, whatever else I've thought about the other series, the leads have always been great, so bringing them altogether should pay off.

6. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

There is a guy on reddit who says he watched the show. As usually nobody believed him until some things weren't confirmed by the recent trailer which means he at least managed to get that before it was officially released.

Without spoilers, which he gives plenty, the series is what could be expected. Basically, it's like the Hand part of the second season of Daredevil, but the interactions between heroes make it much better.

7. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Iron Fist is supposed to be a show featuring Kung Fu with the absolute worst fight scenes I've seen on a major tv provider in a long, long time. Luke Cage completely fell apart in the second half. Daredevil had a mediocre second season with the exception of The Punisher. Jessica Jones was self contained enough that I don't really want more there.

So I'm not really excited for this.

8. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I think this was the nail hit on its head. He SO outshined everything else in S2 that it didn't really matter at all what else happened.

Ten times more excited for the Punisher series than this.

9. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

I also liked the Elektra stuff in Daredevil Season 2, it's just that a bunch of faceless 'mysterious' ninjas make for super boring villains.

10. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

I liked both Daredevil seasons a lot and Punisher.

Jessica Jones had an interesting lead character and background *BUT* the scripts got extremely weak and the main antagonist was a complete chore to me that I didn't even bother watching the last 2-3 episodes. Somewhere in between I got the impression I(male) wasn't really the target audience of that show or they didn't really know how to put life into the concept idea.

Have only watched 3 or 4 episodes of Iron Fist and it didn't really interest me much as I'm not that into 70s like martial arts style productions. It wasn't really awful though, just not really engaging. Didn't watch Luke Cage at all as I never saw much more in him than a bland sidekick "hunk" in Jessica Jones with some tragic past. No lead character potential.

11. deyas

deyas Groundskeeper

Daredevil S1 was spectacular, Jessica Jones was nearly as spectacular, Daredevil S2 was good to great (the Punisher arc in particular), and while Luke Cage did fall off some in the second arc (though not nearly as much as DD S2), it was still nearly as good as Jessica Jones.

Iron Fist was, with the possible exception of one of the main villains in the second arc, completely shit.

Snapdragon I think the first two episodes of Luke Cage are definitely worth giving a shot. I was under impressed with him in Jessica Jones, but they developed his character quite a bit past what we see in Jessica Jones. That being said, if you're not into by the end of episode two, then I'd say it's probably not something you'll enjoy.

Although I have to say I categorically disagree with you about Kilgrave. He's been one of the standout villains in the entire MCU thus far, in my opinion.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  12. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

Well, Kilgrave truly bored me to death after some time. IMHO they really stretched the content around ep7-11. To me Wilson Fisk was easily the most impressive villain character with Vincent D'Onofrio's Marlon Brando aura.

13. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Man... vastly different tastes. I thought Kilgrave was amazeballs. Not as compelling as Fisk, but Tennant brought so much creep factor to that char that he basically carried the weaker scripts in the latter part of the show.

14. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

That trailer looks amazing.

For me, the problem with Kilgrave is that he started as this terrifying, unstoppable force of evil and turned into something completely different and a lot less scary halfway through the series.

15. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Definitely agree with others in that I think Kilgrave was an amazing villain, and most of the discussion I've seen has agreed with that. Slight spoilers ahead: I'm a little confused by this criticism because in my opinion that was one of the best parts about him - his character development and the fact that you could on some (very small) level even sympathise with him once you learn more about his fucked up background. Can you even blame someone with a power as fucked up and easily abused as his for doing what he does? (Yes, you can. But you can understand where he's coming from at least).

It made Kilgrave a very human and compelling villain in my opinion, especially in contrast with most of the usual megalomaniac villains you see in the MCU.

16. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm with Fatality on this. Kilgrave started off as a monster in the dark, but became a truly horrendous villain on a personal level once you got to know him and his past. He was fucked in the head, but Tennant played that well enough that you could even forget it for a time before it hit you in the face again.

17. Andrela

Agreed.

"Go near that fence and stay there forever!"

18. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

19. deyas

deyas Groundskeeper

Welp, the early reviews are in on RottenTomatoes, and it's looking like The Defenders is going to be good in spite of Danny Rand. This makes me very happy; it would have been very disappointing to see a show I've been waiting for since DD season 1 turn out to be shit.

On another note, here's hoping that the new showrunner they pick up for Iron Fist season 2 leads it in a better direction; he's supposed to have some experience with martial arts. Supposedly, they changed showrunners due to scheduling conflicts, but regardless. Also, I suppose I should finally get around to watching the last three episodes of Iron Fist >.>

20. Andrela

Just watched the first episode, it's good so far. Will post more once I see the rest.