1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mass Effect "Tales"

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by MonkeyEpoxy, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I'll be giving a look at that 40k crossover, always had a weakness for anything 40k general, even though I'm more inclined towards reading about the Traitor Legions than the rest that the genre can offer.

And yes, that Mythos one is a goodie, read it before, but I figured not that many folks here like to read about the FCW and the Turians getting curbstomped. I love it how fucking terrifying the humans/nazzadi are for the Turians. Wish it didn't go at such a slow pace though.

2. Audeamus

Audeamus Sixth Year

Started on Massive Shock and got to chapter 7 before I just quit. I don't really have anything against SI, but that one reads like a fantasy power trip. It starts off with the SI ending up in Rapture first and then ends up in ME (It's all in the first chapter so not much of a spoiler) with the plasmid powers. I don't mind the MC-SI getting some power boosts as incompetent protagonists are a bit of a pet peeve, but then he just takes out 2 turians and a krogan with ease, buys a flat in the Citadel, nabs a quarian sidekick and when low on money just goes and takes an assassination mission, no problem.

The whole no inner monologue shtick makes it worse. If there was at least some to indicate the SI reasoning and feelings behind his actions, I might've not dropped it quite as quickly.

---

Masses to Masses is decent. Not really far into it, but there's nothing that's really grating me. There isn't much that stands out either though. Except for a pretty good portrayal of Garrus and a reasonably competent SI.

Loved Hellhound, real shame it's probably abandoned.

First off I guess I should point out that the genre tags aren't kidding - it really is Romance/Drama with very little action. That said, it does it well. Characterization is really good - Shepherd starts out as you'd expect of a young Mindoir farmer-colonist son, but as the story progresses there's definitely signs of the eventual Paragon!Shepherd. Miranda is written well too: starting out as the cold arrogant Cerberus operative, but with actual established character depth and the character growth is obvious in later chapters.

It's quite slow in pace as well. The "Once he becomes 18, he joins the Alliance as a mole" doesn't even happen yet.

3. Atri

Atri Groundskeeper

Anyone know some pre-canon young Shep stories? Something slower, more character-driven. Kind of like Hellhound, where we're shown the galaxy without the Reapers hovering over everything.

I'm in the mood for something epic. Though if it's not Mass Effect but Dragon Age - that works too. :D

4. Himuradono

Himuradono Professor

I was leery about The Mission Stays the Same at first but after I started reading it I lost the next 12h in front of my PC. It's very immersive and just plain fun to read.

Mythos is awesome, I loved the boarding action and the horror it carried. The pacing is alright, it's the long periods of time between updates that is giving me migraine.

5. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Did you ever read the lore and books of the CthulhuTech RPG? It's really got some nifty stuff. And some pretty retarded shit. Like the machine that's powered by rape.

6. Himuradono

Himuradono Professor

No, only the snippets I found on the Net. But I think I heard about that machine on one forum or maybe on TvTropes, I'm not sure. But I wasn't all that shocked, it's Cthulhu Mythos and there is a lot of strange shit going on, so them adding a machine like that to the Tech isn't really surprising.

The biggest gripe I found people bitching about was the supposed assault on the Migou MotherShip and how it went down. Apparently it was Meh! and didn't make much sense.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  7. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Just finished what there is of "The Mission Stays The Same" and I'm craving some more.

Though there are some bits which I'm not all that favoring, and that's - now this could be just my tired mind making leaps for shit that isn't there - that love could indeed bloom on the battlefield. For those who don't get it, I'm referring to Gallardi and Maeteris potentially hooking up.

I fear that we're going to have to wait another year or so until the conclusion of the ME2 story-arc. Don't get me wrong, the author only kept improving with each new chapter, but the pace at which he publishes them is not something I'm fond of.

8. Himuradono

Himuradono Professor

Transcendent Humanity by Solaris242 reviews Humanity never developed FTL. The Prothean archives contained no technology, no Element Zero, just a warning. Isolated from the rest of the galaxy for two thousand years, restricted to their only system, how will humanity have changed when they first meet the Turians? AU, alternate history of humanity and First Contact.Mass Effect - Rated: T - English - Sci-Fi - Chapters: 14 - Words: 28,770 - Reviews: 1121 - Favs: 2,626 - Follows: 3,033 - Updated: Jun 10 - Published: May 7, 2013

Manipulative humanity.

9. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Wow. Just 28,000 words and >1000 reviews - that's pretty nifty.

10. Strider

Strider First Year

In the Shadow of Gods (Halo/ME) is probably the best ME related fic I've ever read, but then again, I've only read four or five of those. The story was deleted by Critics United, but there's a file in the Library (Other Fandoms - Misc - Games) and a rewritten Chapter 1:

(http://archiveofourown.org/works/1099236/chapters/2211681)

Although if you can, I'd recommend reading the cancelled story first. It's epic.

11. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:

:rolleyes: No shit.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  12. Audeamus

Audeamus Sixth Year

Is that your definition of "really good stories"?

Masses to Masses is perfectly fine (I haven't finished it yet) and has a protagonist that doesn't take out a krogan and 2 turians while unarmed on his first day in town.

Massive shock on the other hands reads like a cheap Indie!Harry fanfic, but with the MC replaced by an OC. If that is your bar for a "really good story" then, well... I'll just say that luckily most of the site doesn't seem to share that stance.

13. ScottPress

High Score:
    TL;DR It's a good story as far as guilty pleasures go.

Most of DLPers are more than a little subjective when it comes what makes or doesn't make a good story. Masses to Masses is definitely the better of the two. I'd say it deserves a place in the Library, if it's not there already. Massive Shock is something I'd put in Almost Recced.

---------- Post automerged at 20:24 ---------- Previous post was at 20:22 ----------

That thing is great. Wish there were more chapters posted. A bit rich on the "FUCK YEAH HUMANITY" angle, but with the way it's developed, I really don't mind.

14. JimmyCranberry

JimmyCranberry High Inquisitor

I've been browsing the Mass Effect story archives of late, and stumbled across this story:

It's an alternate take on the events following Mass Effect 1 and leading into Mass Effect 2, with an initial focus on Spectre investigations. It's something I'm somewhat enjoying thus far, and it appears to have a good update rate (there was an 11-month gap between chapters 2 and 3 being posted).

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  15. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I gave a shot at "Consuming Direct Control" but after that incident with Shepard giving Mercer some Krogan alcohol, him getting fucked up so bad he melted down, since it was apparently nuclear fallout in liquid form, and eating a crew-member, with Shepard being more or less nonchalant... yeah, not my thing.

"Sons of Terra" on the other hand is good stuff, but I sorely wish the chapters came out more frequently. Also, not liking that Joker-esque moment with the PMC member.

16. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

that Dues Ex/ME fic:

Honestly its a lot more consumable when you read the bit parts that he puts out on SB rather than on Ff.net

I tried to read a chapter that I had previously read in small bit parts.

I finished and sat back and said: "What. The fuck. Did I just read?"

When its the small parts its got a natural flow. You know things are still building up so here's the different scenes.

You get the climax and cool down in nice chunks.

But then you see it on FF.net and its one giant fucking chunk of a chapter in which things bounce around so quickly that by the time you finish you need to go back just to figure out exactly what happened.

17. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Read this last night and absolutely loved it.

Armor by MountainGoat

Really loved the take on Tali and Shepard, and am looking forward for more, just sad that it has been some time since its last update. Hope it is not dead. Still, worth reading.

18. Himuradono

Himuradono Professor

Great find, Nemrut. I still have to finish Of Sheep and Battle Chicken but as soon as I'm done with it I'll read Armor. Just skimmed the first chapter and I like what I see so far.

Anybody know fics where there are no Reapers? Readable ones...
    I already read First Contact by Animus of Masada and am looking for fics where Reapers don't exist/were killed by Protheans.

19. lopeck

lopeck Groundskeeper

The one that comes to mind is From the Ashes by erttheking. It's a crossover with Fallout and is more a guilty pleasure then real high quality.

From the Ashes By: erttheking Even after seeing their world burned, Humanity was able to stand up again, and push beyond their pre-war status and reach the heavens. But how will a hardened Humanity handle life among the stars? And how will others react to this aggressive newcomer?
    Rated: Fiction T - English - Sci-Fi/Romance - Chapters: 94 - Words: 612,559 - Reviews: 2,628 - Favs: 1,230 - Follows: 1,127 - Updated: Sep 14 - Published: May 18, 2012 - id: 8126014

20. ScottPress

High Score:
    Mass Effect: A new past

I found this a while ago. It's similar to Transcendent Humanity in the way that it portrays an alternative development of humanity pre-ME series. There's politics, alliances and a great take on the First Contact War. There's a WIP sequel which begins building towards Shepard's era.