1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Maximus! by padfootsrevenger - K+

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Gullible, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    Title: Maximus!
    Author: padfootsrevenger
    Rating: K+
    Genre: Mystery/Supernatural
    Pairing: Unknown at the moment
    Chapters: 26
    Words: 72,958
    Updated: Jan 17, 2008
    Published: Jun 12, 2006

Summary:Harry and Luna, after the final battle where they lose everyone they hold dear, find a way to transport themselves to another world where Luna poses as Harry’s twin sister. Hello world here they come!
    Link:http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2986948/1/

This is a quite good story I found today with the usual dimension travel idea with Harry's parents still being alive but unlike many fics like this I have seen it portrays the Potters as nice, not fame addicted pricks. Give it a try, its quite good IMHO.

Checked by Minion, June 28, 2015

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I tried this few days back, but bunch of stupid decisions and ideas kept me from truly liking it.

The biggest peeve - "hand of god" syndrome.

Or in other words, the tendency of authors to utilise a bunch of incredible twists and unexplained plot tools to set characters in a specific situation they wanted to create in the first place.

In this case, it's Harry and his sister, who is actually Luna but isn't, with lots of knowledge, getting adopted by James and Lily and meeting other siblings etc....

Oh, and the kill-off of Luna's character is a bit of a peeve too...

3. coupdmain

coupdmain First Year

read this, seems like a decent AU fic, though the Harry in this world might not be the boy-who-lived

For the most part seems like a well written fic, though you could call the uber-poisonous-rare snake familiar a bit cliche.

Though he did feed wormtail to his snake :)

Personally I like the fact that Harry is not all instantly "lovey-dovey". He is a bit cautious and guarded, but he seems to be coming across as cold, while Luna is trying to get him to open up a little bit emotionally, at the same time is a bit more accepting of the Potters.

Could have Luna/Neville (distant possibility).

4. Chilli

Chilli Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Writing is ok, though the first few chapters have a few cringe worthy scenes:

- Very OOC Luna. Can you ever imagine her saying things like
    or
    - Mindspeak with powerful pet snake.

- Shopping trip

Other than that, it has potential and it does seem to improve in chapter 7 (Peter's demise was fun).

5. Lord Apophis

Lord Apophis Professor

Peter's death was the best part :) Its good that Harry does not immidiatly become best friends with his parents and siblings. The bad part that there are a few cliches such as magical snake familiar, shopping trip, custom trunk and UBER skilled despite being only 18 but with a 11 year old body.

6. Olfrik

Olfrik Seventh Year

Well, it's decent. There are some cliches, but not badly exaggerated (shopping, trunk etc.). Also he doesn't transform into a crybaby in front of his parents. But there are many plotholes, the scar for example, and its very unnerving that the situations all seem to develop just like he wanted them to, seemingly without effort. I will most probably stop reading if he creates an army of children.

7. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    i like it so far.

8. Jheph

Jheph Groundskeeper

I think I'll wait for more chapters to give a better judgment.
    From what I've read, I guess the fic is so-so. The overly lucky circumstances and the OOC Luna are the like vices on this fic. Overall, its okay unlike the other fics I've encountered, so it's above the majority of fics on FF.net.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  9. Lucas13

Lucas13 Second Year

To cliche for my tastes and I like Crazy Luna thanks very much... Your Luna is more like a Self Insert using a cannon character... but welll good luck with your fic

10. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    Ummm, I didn't write this, I was just suggusting this to the members of this forum, :?

11. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

I am going to have to wait for some more. The start is like most TT fics, only I have never seen Harry move in with the Potters in this way. Before I give any real judgment, I will need to see where the plot goes

12. Lucas13

Lucas13 Second Year

Oh sorry...
    Great for you then. ;)

13. Sanctimonius

Sanctimonius Guest

It was okay.... I dunno, struck me as over cliched.

14. Geisterstunde

Geisterstunde First Year

In a dark room in front of the only light source:
    Except for the cliches I think this story is going to work and maybe it will become to somewhat interesting....

That was the best part and probably best use for poisonous snakes!8)

15. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This new chapter was totally and utterly pitiful, it didn't flow at all, was very very stilted, and frankly, if that is the quality of the next chapter as well, then im going to stop following this fic.

16. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

Updated. Now with dumble bashing undertones.
    I think the story is moving away from the cliche fest and into new fan fiction territory, but only time will tell.
    I like the way the story keeps you guessing, nothing is revealed right away.

17. Moloch

Moloch Groundskeeper

I had a hard time getting into it mainly because of Luna's missing vagueness and oddities. She's like a mix between Canon Herm-my-own-knee and Ginny.

Though if you can ignore the cliche's and NotLuna!Luna, then its an ok read.

18. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

Updated, now with action scene.
    Are pranks cliche?
    I don't like pranks, I would prefer plot, even mild well written fluff. But that could just be me, all types of fics for all types of folks, dark fics for DPLer's?
    Well I think this story is going somewhere, and I will follow it and hope it is entertaining.

19. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

It was good for the first few chapters. I liked it; then it went down hill. I could even stomach extremely OOC Luna for it before it went poof.

Pranks? Uhh... family moments? Very, very, very mentally immature Harry and Luna? No thanks.

20. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

With the last chapters (now 23) it developed into WTF?

The two Maximi are just two Original Characters, who happened to gain some important knowledge. With their alleged background story they might even qualify for a MarySue contest.

And the Goblin scene is just annoying - though not as bad as the worst case scenario Griphook crying.

“Excuse me for being so rude, but I’ve forgotten your name sir.” Leevi used the politest voice he could, the one he used when talking to a professor at school…unless it was Snape of course.

The goblin’s step suddenly faltered and he turned around to study the children. It was obvious from the lack of facial hair and wrinkles that the goblin was young, that alone spoke volumes about him that he would be working in Gringotts at such a young age.

“I apologize for I did not give it. I am Raxiel, son of Ruliz.” The tone that was used was the politest Christelle or Leevi had ever heard from a goblin before.

At the moment I think it's below average.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006