1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Maybe I'm a Lion by Dullahan - M - Kara no Kyoukai/Prototype

Discussion in 'Games' started by Orm Embar, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

Title: Maybe I'm a Lion
    Author: Dullahan
    Rating: M (For mastication. Shirazumi's fond of eating his enemies)
    Genre: Supernatural Spy Thriller (Author's words)
    Fandom: Kara no Kyoukai/Prototype Crossover
    Pairings: None
    Link: Here.

The fact that this story hasn't gotten more exposure is a crying shame, and I intend to rectify that. The crossover is an eclectic one; Kara no Kyoukai is the first work published in the eponymous 'Nasuverse,' and is probably the best one to be found in it, excepting Fate/Zero. So, how do you go from conceptual dickery and arcane symbolism to black-ops and complete global saturation? Is there anything these two universes have in common, other than the fact that both protagonists think of murder as the first, second, and third solution?

The author makes it work exceptionally well, though. The setup is that Mercer chooses a different method of avenging himself on the world; he releases Blacklight in Mifune City, under the rationale that patented Gentek gene sequences being found in a virus on foreign soil would make for a hell of diplomatic incident. Also, it'd kill millions of people, because Mercer is kind of a dick like that. Blackwatch is dispatched to contain the situation before things go completely up shit creek, and the game begins... Absolutely fucking nothing, including Mercer's revenge, goes as planned. Who should happen to stumble upon the bomb but our intrepid hero (using the loosest possible interpretation of the word), one Lio Shirazumi?

He happens to be a serial killer and a cannibal. (there are extenuating circumstances)

Stylistically, the writing is competent and very thorough. Care is taken to adequately explore the motivations and backstory of each and every viewpoint character. Everybody is, if not necessarily sympathetic, at least understandable. Action sequences and the setting also receive the same level of immaculate description, leading to some very nice fights, many of which are seen from the eyes of the mooks. The pacing is rather slow, but there are enough events packed into the timeframe to keep the reader's attention.

Also, there are kanji puns.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Man, there has been a ton of Prototype crossovers making their way onto here lately. Did someone answer my prayers or something?

I'll check back once I've read a few chapters, give my first impressions.

3. Garlak

Garlak Fifth Year

I'll go ahead and back this recommendation up -- this story is awesome. It's also frequently hilarious.

It amazes me how Dullahan is able to add weight and gravitas to the simplest of things, making the world feel so very fleshed out, and giving great characterization and personality even to newly-introduced original characters. The OCs mostly being Blackwatch dudes investigating things; really, any OC only adds to the story and doesn't detract at all.

Also, Lio is hilarious.

His monologue and the shenanigans he gets up to or gets caught up in are so entertaining.

4. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

For a brief moment I thought you meant Great Dullahan.

Anyway, Prototype stories ftw. I'll give it a read. :)

5. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Holy crap I'm loving this; it's like Nasu meets David Foster Wallace. Long introspective into one's motivations that gets you completely in synch with a character? Check. Set during a three chapter breakfast scene? Double check.

6. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

It's an update and almost entirely a conference call. Probably the best one I've ever read in FF though

7. William Shadowruby

William Shadowruby Muggle

8. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Thanks for reminding me that I still haven't finished this. I got to around chapter 20, put it on hold months ago and then completely forgot. o_O

Really torn on how I feel for it so far. On one hand, it's amazingly well and does a good job of weaving together a multitude of threads into a complex plot. On the other hand, well, I put it on hold and forgot about it completely. It isn't the easiest thing to read - there's almost *too* much stuff going on. But I'll continue this before making a final rating...

9. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Mhm.. I read the story over the last 2 days. It starts very interesting but the longer it goes on the more it gets bogged down in its multitude of OC´s.
    The last ~20 or so chapters saw nearly no plot advancement with the main cast, which makes it very doubtful that this fic is going anywhere.

10. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

I got into and got bored around 2/3 though. I had no interest in any of the characters besides the main one really.