1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Minato Namikaze and the Destroyer of Worlds By The Carnivorous Muffin - T - HP/Naruto

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Dark Minion, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Title: Minato Namikaze and the Destroyer of Worlds
    Author: The Carnivorous Muffin
    Rating: Fiction T
    Genre: Adventure/Friendship
    DLP-Category: The Alternates
    Pairing: none yet
    Chapters: 5
    Words: 36,081
    Updated: January 10, 2016
    Published: December 14, 2015
    Summary:
    On October 10th when the Kyuubi no Kitsune ravages Konoha, Namikaze Minato unwittingly makes a bargain with Death. Years earlier, his life is rewritten when the overpowered, bizarre, and possibly alien Eleanor Lily Potter arrives at Konoha's orphanage and quickly becomes his best friend.

Link: https://archiveofourown.org/works/15685944

This is another story started by The Carinvorous Muffin, as a spin off or an alternate universe to her story "Lily and the Art of Being Sisyphus". You don't need to read that story to understand this one, but if you enjoy one of these, you'll likely enjoy the other as well.

As indicated in the summary the story starts with the day the Kyuubi attacks Konoha - in two sentences - and then jumps years back in time, to the day Jiraiya meets his new team of genins: Team 7, with the boys Namikaze Minato and Matsuda Haru, and the girl Eru Lee.

Eru Lee is the weirdest of the three, having suddenly appeared in Konoha's orphanage as a five year old, speaking nothing but gibberish. She soon became friends with Minato and now both are the top students of the academy. But Eru Lee is as socially inept as any of the Knote bros. and Minato is the only one she really is connected to. He helps her mastering all social challenges she can't solve by using chakra.

Eru Lee is actually "Eleanor Lily Potter" - but no one was able to pronounce it correctly. She doesn't know about magic, doesn't really know about the differences of magic and chakra and doesn't believe in any limitations of her abilities. She doesn't need to use seals, she just does what she wants to achieve. She also doesn't realise yet, that she is actually Death and can't die (if she really got the same background as 'Lily' in the other story).

At 5 chapters and 36,000 words by now, the story covered the first interaction of Team 7 with Jiraiya, the annoying D-ranks and their first C-rank mission, and their interaction with Orochimaru, who is still in his laboratories in Konoha.

Considering the short intro-scene of the first chapter, the author probably has a goal in mind, but I assume in the end the story will go nowhere and end up abandoned. At the moment the author has a decent update rate, especially if you also count the oneshots she publishes as side fics to the main story (1 per 100 reviews). But soon another plotbunny will haunt her, she will start another story, the update rate will drop and eventually stop. At least that's what happened to her other novels.

Thus this is nothing I read with the expection of a culminating showdown (kill Voldemort, destroy Akatsuki), but I enjoy the description of a god-like, half-autistic girl and her more or less every-day interactions with the cast of pre-Naruto Konoha.

Nevertheless it is a really great read, especially if you enjoyed some of Carnivorous' other stories. Some short scenes remind me of Rorschacht, but are definitely better written and fit into the whole plotline. She claims she apparently never watched or read Naruto, only Naruto-fanfiction, but as far as I can see, she seems to have a good grasp of the universe.

For me it is an easy 4/5.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2023
  2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I agree with the 4/5 rating. It's a very strange story, and I'm not sure I'd have enjoyed it nearly as much if I hadn't already read the author's HP fic featuring the same OC, but yeah.

I think my favorite parts have to be the ones with Orochimaru.

The story has covered a decent bit of ground - it doesn't move slowly - but I'm not sure what the overarching plot will be yet. Or even if there will be one at all, frankly. I'm not worried though, since the HP fic feels a bit aimless as well and it's never approached boring.

3. A Lightning

A Lightning Seventh Year

I'm not quite sure how to rate this story.

It's well written, and the premise is amusing... but that's really all it is. There's no tension in the plot, no feelings of suspense in the story, and nothing to really make me invested in where the story is going to go.

That's not to say a story needs these things to be good, but at the same time, I'm not really that invested in the characters, and without much interest in the plot or the characters, the story as a whole feels somewhat lacking.

3/5 from me.

4. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I really like this story and I've been following it since it began, but it feels a quite flat to me compared to The Art of Being Sisyphus. I think it started as just another one-shot spinoff from the main story, but was fun enough to continue. I'm glad of that - it's great fun to read. But I'm not sure that it actually can hold up on its own.

For one, if you haven't read Lily and the Art of Being Sisyphus, I don't think you'll enjoy it nearly as much. It lacks a lot of depth and explanation, because that's already in the main story.

But this story definitely goes a great job of adding to the tale of Lily - in this universe we see everything about her in a very different light. There's something very charming about The Carnivorous Muffin's stories - they're so very different from anything most of us are used to seeing.

Ultimately, while it does feel a bit flat that doesn't change the fact that it is really entertaining. The story is mainly about exploring Lily's insanity and the effects she has on the world, and I often find the humour in it all is pretty good.

I'll give this a 4/5 - with a disclaimer that you should definitely read The Art of Being Sisyphus first.

5. MsCalypso

MsCalypso First Year

I read it and I had very weird feeling about the story. It's not that it's bad, definitely not, it has this amusing sense to it that made me keep on reading, but like mentioned here before, it doesn't have any debt. I feel like I'm missing something, that there should be something more.

On the other hand, it has been pointed out that one should read Lily the Art of Being Sisyphus and that this story should make a bit more sense then. So I'll go do that now, and maybe reread this again and who knows, it might feel different then.

A tentative 3/5

6. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4/5

It was really easy to read and lots of it made me smile. It's the sort of story that knows what it is, I think. I found myself curious less about the plot (which is kind of thin) than the characters I guess.

It's somewhat limited by the distinct lack of conflict, but you really can't have everything.

7. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

There are a few oneshot spin-offs from this story, by the way:

The Temptation of Desperate Men
    It's a Wonderful Life
    A Brief Parlor Comedy with Divine and Terrible Beings

8. Drake

Drake Seventh Year

I always enjoy the stories Carnivorous Muffin writes. It's easy to jump right in because the main character is always some variation of Death and it makes every interaction interesting. None of these stories have any real tension to them for that same reason, but it makes them fairly breezy reads full of purple prose. I'm enjoying Ellie screwing with the Naruto universe just as much as she is with the HP universe.

4/5

9. Silly

Silly Third Year

High Score:
    I read and enjoyed Lily and the Art of Being Sisyphus, and this is much of the same. Great writing style, really offbeat humor, very little plot progression but somehow it ends up being fine.

Also, similar to her other story, there is tension hinted, but you know it's going to be super far off and the plot just sort of trudges along at its own pace, and you get tons of silly scenarios instead of actiony plot driven stuff. It definitely appeals to me but I can tell that it isn't for everybody.

Also, I recommend reading her spin off of the spin off, "It's a Wonderful Life". I think it's fantastic, combining the whole Lily Potter universe with a bit more of a serious and heartfelt ending.

Overall, I rated this a 4/5. I was wavering between a 4 and 5, so if the fic continues to remain high quality I may revise my vote upwards.

10. Dark Minion

The story updated two days ago. This chapter is more serious and might become a turning point for the story:

Lee meets Death!Harry for the very first time. Not in the train station but in a different, more universe-fitting location. She now knows about her 'nature' as Death.

11. Drake

Drake Seventh Year

Also, I like that its sort of speeding up certain developments compared to the original.

Lily's already off-handedly mentioned that she died and came back. Also, that next chapter will be discussing that further.

12. heytherebam

heytherebam Squib

An amusing fic. It is well-written with believable characterizations, and some funny scenes. It doesn't quite manage to build suspense with the main character being what she is.
    4/5 for being well-written.

13. Dark Minion

There is a new side story with Team 7 and the Nindaime travelling to Surrey:

English Vacation - Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11779039/1/English-Vacation
    Jiraiya gets a hold of Lee's Hogwarts Admission Letter and team 7, plus retired hokage, go off to investigate Lee's origins. Meanwhile Lee becomes frustrated that no one besides her seems to realize that reality is in fact a giant illusion that is in the process of breaking apart. Side fic to "Minato Namikaze and the Destroyer of Worlds"​

In the end, the author announces England will make its appearance in the main story later on.

14. Haze

Haze Second Year

I actually disagree with Drome about this. I read this one first, and found it much superior to its HP counterpart. The HP was just felt extremely boring, to be honest. Being extremely overpowered in the Naruto-verse is much more interesting than in the HP one.

The cast of this one is a lot more interesting as well. I really like Minato in this one. Not to mention that Eru Lee is just great. Maybe its because Death has a closer spot in her heart in this one. The scene where they first met was just amazing.

I'd give this 5/5 just from the sheer enjoyment of it.

15. Ched

I think the new side story Minion linked (English Vacation) is my favorite side story so far.

16. Plotless

Plotless High Inquisitor

17. Dark Minion

Another update, now with a philosophical note.

Towards the end Tobirama and Tsunade notice something very interesting which might move the plot forward.

18. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Another side-fic was also released:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12054323/1/Fathers-and-Fishcakes
    Essentially Team Seven and Tobirama get transported to the canon universe, near the start of the series. Highlights include Minato's reaction to having a son, and Eru Lee's insistence that she'd make a better godfather than Jiraya.

19. Ched

Update! A good update too, imo. We got some genuine progression on LV, a few fun character moments, and a real sense of 'movement' with regards to things.

yak
  20. Zel

Zel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Eh, Danzo isn't as old as the author thinks, he'd be around his forties in this place of the timeline, and his voice sounded off. Storming off and bitching about her to 'rethink her choices' doesn't seem in character, he's more of the type to force her in a situation where she has little choice but to follow him. Not that any of the characterizations are strictly in tune with canon's, but Danzo's was especially glaring.

Still, it was a good chapter.