1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Minecraft FTB - New server!

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Alindrome, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

The new minecraft FTB Unleashed server will be up tomorrow! Will post IP when it is up. I plan to keep the server around for as long as I can so no need to fear resets. Come and join us!

So I have some stuff for you.

Setup:

1. Download the FTB launcher here: Link
    2. When you run the launcher, hit the 'options' tab and set your preferences like how much RAM it can use.
    3. Back to the modpacks tab: download the FTB Unleashed pack for 1.5.2. Launch it up for the first time, then quit and open the launcher again.
    4. On the modpacks tab, hit 'Edit Mod Pack' and enable everything that's disabled except for NetherOres and Vending.
    5. Next up is fixing a problem with the current version of Biomes O Plenty. There's an issue that makes all the items unnamed. It's just due to the directory paths not being named correctly. Go here - link - and download the new .jar file. BoP will output a message telling you that there's a newer version, but this is a filthy dirty lie due to something in the configs being wrong. So ignore that.
    6. And you're done!

Mining:

If you get to the Nether, you'll find the Nether Hub - one portal there will take you to spawn, another will take you to the Mining World. Please do any automated mining in this dimension! Quarries, bores, you name it. It helps protect against lag in the future - so please don't set up automated mining in the overworld.

Texture Packs:

There's very little out there that's approaching complete. Sphax is the most complete texture pack out there so far because it's got a good community that make their own patches. Here's their site - link - if you want to manually patch it.

I have a pretty decent patched version for my game. Only a few random blocks here and there that are default textured, a couple less significant mods too. I'll upload it somewhere if people want it.

Getting Started with FTB:

I know quite a few of those joining us will be new to FTB, and on top of that this is a new pack with a few new mods in it. There are a lot of mods and a lot of new stuff, and it can seem quite daunting at first when you don't know what to do with it. So I've got some info for you to help you along.

First up is the mod called NEI - Not Enough Items. This is really helpful for learning the mods as it lets you search for and look up the recipes of items. Type in the box at the bottom for what you want, like a piston for example, and left click it on the right to bring up how to make it. You can also mouse over it and press 'r' to do the same. Right clicking or pressing 'u' will show you all the recipies that the item is used in.

A good thing to do to learn about the pack is watch mod spotlights for individual mods. I'd recommend watching Direwolf20's mod spotlights on youtube, since he's great at explaining them. To start with you'll probably want to look at buildcraft, and then industrialcraft or thermal expansion. Thaumcraft3 and Tinker's Construct are mods I like to set up early game too.

I'll explain what some of the mods in this pack are about briefly:

• Applied Energistics - create a really powerful network to store and manage items.
    • BiblioCraft - pretty and functional furniture-type mod. Make shelves and tool racks and things.
    • BiomesOPlenty - the world gen mod. Adds a huge amount of vastly different biomes. Probably the first thing you'll see in the world.
    • Buildcraft - quarries and basic pipes. Adds a type of power you'll use for a lot of stuff. Good early game.
    • ComputerCraft - programmable computers, turtles.
    • DartCraft - force gems, some strange technical magical machines.
    • EnderStorage - think vanilla enderchests, but able to be coloured for different linked chest networks. Also ender tanks for liquids.
    • Factorization - machines to process ore and craft stuff.
    • Forestry - automated farming, bees, tree breeding, butterflies.
    • IndustrialCraft 2 - machines, a new form of power, ore processing and rechargeable items. Good early game - you'll need to find some rubber.
    • Iron Chest - upgradable chests for better storage. Goes up to diamond/crystal.
    • MineFactory Reloaded - lots of small machines to do lots of different things. Notable: animal farms. Also adds RedNet cables, an awesome and powerful redstone wiring upgrade.
    • Mystcraft - lets you write books to send you do different dimensions. Really cool and fun, but I'm gonna have to limit it on the server a lot because it devours RAM. Have a go in singleplayer.
    • Portal Gun - adds the portal gun. From portal. Yeah, it's awesome.
    • Railcraft - a revamp of vanilla's railroads. You can do some powerful stuff with it.
    • Soul Shards - lets you collect the souls of mobs and make mob spawners from them.
    • Thaumcraft 3 - the magic mod. Make awesome magical items. You can start fairly early game.
    • Thermal Expansion - machines and stuff that runs on buildcraft power. Like the pulverizer, to double your ore processing.
    • Tinker's Construct - a really great new way of making tools. You can repair them using one of the material to make them and put on upgrades to improve them. Read the books given to you at the start of the game. I love this mod.
    • Twilight Forest - adds a new dimension, filled with boss monsters and dungeons to explore.

Controls:

Some controls that might not be obvious:
    • ] - Opens the map.
    • +/= - Options for the map.
    • -/_ - Set a new waypoint.
    • /| - Zoom the map.
    • V - Hat menu.
    • r - Sort inventory.
    • space - transfer everything from target inventory.
    • press the question mark button while looking up a recipe while using a crafting table - Puts a template onto the grid.
    • Shift+click question mark - Pulls items from your inventory into the crafting grid if you have them.

So that's all I've got for you for now - the server should be up tomorrow. IP address will be incoming. Server's gonna cost £30 for 4GB so £2.50 each for the amount of people we have so far.

I'm really looking forward to playing with you guys! If you have any questions about anything - the mods, setup, whatever - I'm your girl. Post in the thread and stuff if you're playing. :3

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  2. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If I hosted a vent server for this, would anyone be interested in using it?

EDIT: This is also my indication of interest in playing on the server.

3. Alindrome

Yeah, that'd be cool. A fair few of us have each other's skype accounts and we usually get by on group calls, but an actual dedicated VOIP room would be awesome to have.

4. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

No Extra Bees or Thaumic Bees? Awww...

Also, Biomes O' Plenty over ExtraBiomes? Awww...

Oh well, it's DLP, it's FTB, I'm in.

5. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Can't wait! Also wouldn't mind leeching off your texture pack. I'm using the normal BD Craft which looks very nice, but all the 'new' ores like copper, tin, power, assorted crystals, etc., are vanilla. And it looks like shit, naturally. I'm trying to manually patch those holes, but... Yeah.

Also, a Vent server sounds great! Skype is cool if there's 3 or maybe 4, but more than that and it turns into a grunt/nosehairbreathing fest.

6. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    How are we chipping in for this anyhow? Someone got a Paypal account we can send the cash to?

7. Alindrome

I didn't list all of the mods in Unleashed - don't worry, Extra Bees and Thaumic Bees are both in the pack.

Actually, Biomes O' Plenty is really dramatically better than ExtraBiomesXL right now. It contains a lot of the same content, and then much more. I hear tales of a new dimension called 'The Promised Land', by the way. Collect gems from different biomes to get to it. :)

@Aekiel: I've got a paypal account. I'll PM the details for now.

8. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    85.236.100.19:5134 is the Vent IP for anyone who wants to use it. No passwords, 20 slots and based in UK. Completely prepared to raise or lower the user count or change server location if enough people use it.

FTR, in my experience you're more likely to keep players on the server if you all log into vent in your free time. That way even if you're not idling the server, you'll know immediately when people want to play c:

9. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Very down for this. PM me Paypal info Pali?

10. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

I am definitely down for this. On vacation now though and wont be able use my powerful desktop till the very end of the month. I will definitely join then though.

11. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not sure how much I'll be on at first, within a few months i'll be on regularly.

Dromeyjerome, have you heard if mort will be with us?

12. Alindrome

The server is up! You should all have a PM telling you the IP. Anyone who hasn't got one, ask and ye shall receive.

Edit: And as soon as I send the IP out, I start getting some issues. I'm looking into it. -__-

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  13. Tomster10010

Tomster10010 Fourth Year

I'm in the middle of a move, so I probably won't play very much until I can get my desktop back, like Athanos. Also, my track record for committing to minecraft worlds/servers/etc is rather spotty, so be warned.

14. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I've never played Minecraft. I keep hearing it is teh awesomez. Maybe I'll try it this weekend.

15. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Can I get in on this? I've only ever done singleplayer before.

16. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

Official petition to rename the Paypal account to "Palindrome's Sexual Favours Fund"

I'll pop on both vent and the server once I get done with work. First order of business; build the DLP Thunderdome. TWO MEN ENTER, ONE MAN LEAVES. This should be fun.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  17. Alindrome

18. Koalas

High Score:
    So I'm having a weird issue, I updated Minecraft to the 1.6.2 but FTB's still reading my old 1.5.2 :/

19. Alindrome

The FTB Unleashed pack is version 1.5.2 - that notice about 1.6.2 minecraft on the main menu is just from vanilla, from when we had to update our vanilla clients.

We've been having some server downtime issues at about midnightish GMT time. We'll see how it goes with this server.

20. Koalas

High Score:
    Sorry explained that poorly. I have MC 1.6.2, and Unleashed 1.5.2 When I try and log on to the server however it doesn't let me as my 'Client is Out of Date' and needs to be updated to 1.6.2

I'll keep Googling, just figured I'd post in case it was something simple