1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mini Mafia #4 - A Mafia Mafia

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Eidolonic, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

@Sacrifice:

The point was that (for me, at least) you were way too elaborate. It was just a short question and I expected a short answer -- I ran the numbers and names in the qt myself, saw there were a few likely targets, but no way to say for sure who Fishy protected, and then moved on to something else. Consequently, your long ass post came off as trying way too hard, and on top of that, you ended up protecting yourself, which, given your earlier posts, appeared as an attempt to give yourself town cred in a really awkward manner.

So basically, you did too much, which I interpreted as overcompensating want-to-be-Town-Mafia, and there you go.

Re: The meta point. I rely on what works. Objectively, Luckylee was probably suspicious as all hell -- but given the fact that I knew that he usually is like this, I correctly pinned him as Town. The potential downside is obvious, but in the end it's only an additional way to figure out stuff, not the only one.

2. Sacrifice

Sacrifice Guest

Thanks for the input Aurion, I welcome any other criticisms for my play.

-

edit: Thank you too Sesc.

3. Aurion

Aurion Headmaster

Best advice I can give Scums is that you almost have to approach the game from a Town mindset; the one trap scum always seem to fall for is not having a coherent explanation for the state of the game.

Having one (a plausible one, that may include bussing of teammates because scum be scummy a lot yo) will help a lot. Like, follow up questions with pressure if warranted, do wholly legit playreads, the whole nine yards.

e: Like..hmm. You know a lot of what's going on as Scum, but you almost need to be able to completely set that aside when someone presses you for analysis. If I'm typing a post with my gamestate theories, I'll ask myself if I would know/have figured out <fact X> if I weren't Scum, or would <inference Y> be viable from a Town mindset.

Wouldn't sweat the small scumtells too much though, damn near everyone makes a few small ones per game.

It's a delicate dance, because you don't want to clam up and be lurk!scum. Lurk!scum dies. You don't want to trip the "Knows Too Much About The Gamestate; Obvscum"/"Whoops, I just revealed waaaaaay too much" (Hi Lungs!) flag, and getting caught out in a flagrant lie is obviously bad as well.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  4. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Thx for the advice Aurion, I appreciate any I can get. I like mafia, and I'd like to get better at it.

5. Prophylaxis

Prophylaxis Squib

I think I explained my mindset in-thread, but it boiled down to "I saw something scummy and I'm going to vote". I think I then decided to be a bit more controversial and front-off-ish to get myself more town points, I think?

6. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

Oh yeah, my stated reason for voting for Caesar wasn't the whole truth. I was more interested in Sesc reaction to my vote, because I was worried about a Sesc/Caesar scum team and the best way to catch scum!Sesc is to threaten his teammates. Well that, and Caesar's play was reminding me of my own in Mini Mafia 3.

I've noticed that as I've played more games, I've become a lot less honest as town. At this rate, I'll be lying for shits and giggles soon.

Fishy: Your qt is beautiful. My favorite post would have to be:

7. Prophylaxis

Prophylaxis Squib

:(

/tenchar

8. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

I would never lie to you, Proph.

Unless I thought it would help my faction. Then, I'd lie my ass off.

9. Prophylaxis

Prophylaxis Squib

Heh.

No, I meant about the lying as town thing. My home site had a huge discussion about lying as town (namely someone who falseclaimed as a potentially confirmable town role and got lynched) - personally, I feel like pulling gambits as town is overrated, and lying only really works if you can do it with no downside.

Just some thoughts for the road ahead. :)

10. Fishy Justice

Fishy Justice Fourth Year

Shhh, shhh shh shhhhh.

11. Lexicat

Lexicat Second Year

Being totally open and honest as town is overrated. There is a lot to be generated from tactful absence of information or even complete falsehood.

The former is pretty simple, it's not always preferable, there is something to be said for blank voting a null or even scum read in the hopes their reaction will clear up things. It's just an example, but it's a situation where lack of information given creates more content.

The latter is a little harder, since it's basically a gambit. And gambits range from simple (voting someone you think is town and tunneling them with the intent of living longer- useful for strong power roles on occassion? The issue is you can't actually lynch them, or it's just not worth it.) to much more complex.

12. Prophylaxis

Prophylaxis Squib

Town hides information.
    Scum lie about information.

My mantra when dealing with this stuff.

13. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

I have one more game pretty much ready to launch, and then I don't mind stepping aside if Proph (or someone else) wants to run one.

Look for signups to go up in a day or two!

14. Prophylaxis

Prophylaxis Squib

Oh boy one running right after this one.

Yay!

15. Lexicat

Lexicat Second Year

It's still not 100% clear cut like that, but that's a decent enough stance to take sufficient it's right at LEAST 80% of the time.

---------- Post automerged at 03:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 AM ----------

Also, what's the requirement for modding experience on this site?

16. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As far as I've seen if you're willing to run a game most of us will play, but if you fuck things up badly (and multiple times) no one will be very willing any more

afaik there're no official requirements so go for it! just please don't run concurrent with the start of another game since idk how many mafia players we really have.

17. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Running parallel games didn't work very well the one time we tried it. We have a fairly small playerbase and activity is lacking at the best of times, so making the players divide their attention just lessens the amount of time they spend on both games, rather than making them play twice as hard.

18. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

Only way I'd run parallel games is if there were 20+ signups for a mini mafia.

I'd have a 12-man mini mafia, and a 7-man micro mafia for the newbie players.