1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mini Mafia #5 - Firefly Mafia

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Eidolonic, Sep 26, 2013.

1. jwlk

jwlk Seventh Year

It is what it is, would you really have voted Bill Door anyway? I don't think Proph would have.

2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sorry then. I just couldn't see a way out of this corner, so I decided not to draw this out any further than it had to. Take that as the well deserved victory it is. I wouldn't have done this if you hadn't effectively pinned me in place.

You put me in checkmate. :p

3. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Well, I can't know that, can I? Perhaps I would have. If there had been enough of this:

/goes off to sulk

Edit: Yeah, yeah. Give me 10 minutes to annoy myself, and I'll be useful again.

4. jwlk

jwlk Seventh Year

I mean, yea you definitely should have waited either way Aekiel, you never know. You have dishonored your family.

5. Fishy Justice

Fishy Justice Fourth Year

Yeah. There was a chance for Bill Door to be lynched. The very fact Sesc and Proph wanted to wait for your reply was because of how unsure they were. It could have gone either way.

Still, Scum did very well considering Lungs, and jwlk replacing in. I kind of want to give the victory to them, considering.

It was an interesting game.

6. jwlk

jwlk Seventh Year

Oh yeah, @Lungs, stop signing up if you don't want to play. Its ridiculous.

And if you do sign up to play, are scum, and a claimed JOAT is one vote from being hard lynched, and you are the other lynch if it doesn't happen, fucking do it.

7. Aekiel

High Score:
    My bad. I'll make sure not to do the same next time it gets to this stage.

8. Sesc

You do that, Aekiel. It really was on the brink. Your "bullshit" post worked, not bullshit at all -- it pointed out actual problems with Bill Door, just another additional push might have pushed it over (though I can't speak for Prophylaxis, of course).

Still, so I out-bluffed you. That's something, I suppose. And no, that victory certainly goes not to Mafia, Fishy :s

9. Aekiel

High Score:
    Lexicat wins this game, by far. I don't think a single person suspected her of being scum.

10. Sesc

Well, I kinda did. That was part of the reason I fakeclaimed. I just didn't expect her to be a Third Party, and especially not one who would leave the game; I thought I would have time to go after her the next day. By then, she had won, and nearly fucked over my plans by bringing us to LYLO :(

Also, are we waiting for Eido, or does someone want to link Obs now?

11. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

That's game.

Post up soon.

12. Lexicat

Lexicat Second Year

I have a bunch of things to post in reference to this game and mafia as a whole that will get done when I don't have a midterm in 20 minutes.

13. Prophylaxis

Prophylaxis Squib

Well, we won.

I had some lingering thoughts about Bill Door (namely, w/interactions with other scum) but that first wagon on me doomed Aekiel.

14. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Proph, If you don't mind me asking exactly what was so horrrible about my play in this game?

15. Prophylaxis

Prophylaxis Squib

I felt that you were just mostly invisible throughout the game. I know some of it was due to time constraints, but man, you just come across as so naturally scummy. ;)

What really "confirmed" you as town was this:

Doubt scum would bring this up due to paranoia.

16. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

Game Over!

The day draws to a close, and the three remaining crew members cautiously move back to the ship, having seen no sign of anyone lurking in the shadows.

When the ship draws into sight, they see a man standing there, openly, hands grasped behind his back.

"You!" one of the crew members exclaims.

"Me."

A shot rings out, and the lone man falls over dead.

"That was for my ear, bitch."

Aekiel has been lynched!

After watching Niska fall to the ground, dead, the remaining crew just stand there, staring at his corpse. There's only three of them, left, and they've experienced such sorrow, and loss.

Simon, his sister and lover both killed.

Zoe, her husband slaughtered in the night.

And Captain Malcom Reynolds, with no ship, and no crew.

Where could they possibly go from here?

Until a lone man steps out of the shadows, and tells them that their time on his planet is done. He waves his and, and Serenity comes to life.

He advises them to check the bunks on the ship, and vanishes. Their time on Mafiaville has come to a close.

Bill Door, Sesc and Prophylaxis have endgamed!

Town Wins!

QT Links:
    http://www.quicktopic.com/share?s=jSTL

Town MVP: Going to take the unconventional route here and go with Fishy Justice. Perfect use of his desperado ability.

Proph and Bill Door get honorable mentions for night action choices and near perfect reads. Bill's problem was that he didn't do anything to push his reads, and that keeps him from taking the award.

Scum MVP: Going to use the term "scum" liberally, and award this to Lexicat. One of the easier neutral roles to win with that I've had, but still played it near flawlessly, pushing the mass claim when it benefited town to do so at the same time.

Special Thanks: Kalas and Jwlk for replacing in!

Design Thoughts: Mechanically, this game slightly favored town, but when taking gameplay elements into account, it was reasonably balanced. The neutral was going to kill town, because the only requirement was a flavor claim, and there was almost zero risk in them hitting scum with the shot. The desperado was also likely to remove itself from play. Two town JoaT's (and a scum JoaT), plus another limited shot protective role were meant to achieve two purposes: give the desperado the ability to sort the tri-chotomy out, and make it likely that all shots were openly claimed in the thread relatively early. This would let the scum make powerful use of their redirection shot.

Regardless, the game played out fairly evenly, and almost exactly as drawn up according to the design intent.

Thanks to everyone for playing!

Until next time:

~Fin

17. Sesc

Well, horrible is perhaps too harsh. It's exactly as I said -- your passiveness set me off. There's basically two ways to look off, the first is to make outrageous claims that in no way reflect the actual game state, and the second is to say something here and say something there, but always retreat back into the shadows after posting.

Basically, what you need is confidence. You had good reads. Push them. Argue for them. Your reads are more important than anyone else's, you want to convince others to see things your way. And attack your suspects. As a Vanilla, you can be as aggressive as you want. Use that.

In fact, if in the end you just had had more posts, it would have gone a long way to make me feel better about you. I get time constraints, though, so there's that.

18. Aurion

Aurion Headmaster

Relevant to this discussion:

Player - Posts
    Proph - 64
    Sesc - 54
    blab - 44
    Aekiel - 43
    fonti - 42
    BMF - 34
    Lexicat - 30
    Bill Door - 24
    Kalas - 22 / Riley 7
    Fishy Justice - 15
    TMNTurtwig - 14
    jwlk - 13 / Caesar 11
    Lungs - 11

This isn't an absolute measure of quality of course; Kalas and Bill did quite well in terms of figuring out what was up with a relatively low post count- the only nitpick would be the count itself.

Town who did well:
    Fishy - Best Desperado.

Proph - You got lucky. Very, very, very lucky. But you took advantage of that luck, and you had really nice ability targets.

Bill / Kalas
    - I have the same comment for both of you; more posts with more content is needed but you both were damned near spot on with what you did post.

Town who did okay:
    fonti - Juuuuuust below the top 4, if only because you got offed Night One. Solid overall. I liked how you handled the CCing of Proph both at the time and with hindsight. Not your fault Eid included 3 JoATs in one game.

Riley - Heh heh heh. Caught Caesar blatantly sheeping. Aekiel spent almost the whole damn day talking about you after that, I was surprised no one made that connection especially after Caesar/jwlk flipped Scum. Less posts about how day one sucks and asking how your play is- Valid Q and valid comment, but not the most politic things to be saying during the game.

blab - You posted 44 times? Some good scumhunting attempts, and you were generally Town-y and made an effort. All you really need is more experience with recognizing the plays people make.

Town who need some work:
    Sesc - DEM LOW-REWARD TOWN GAMBITS. THAT THINKING EID WOULD LET THE GAME BE FLAVORBROKEN.

TMNTurtwig
    - See where lazy analysis leads you? If everything that happens is confirming your initial reads you're either the Mafia Whisperer or are probably wrong. Be very careful about confirmation bias.

BitMyFinger - Eh. Your interactions with Proph were all kinds of bad. Your stuff wrt Riley was bad. Thinking you were scum was an entirely reasonable conclusion, not least of which because you never really gave anyone any reason to actually think you were Town.

Scum who did well:

jwlk - Talk about bad fucking luck, eh? I liked the work you put in on planting the seeds of a Bill lynch in particular.

Scum who did okay:
    Aekiel - You were very, very, very lucky. But it come dangerously close to working! You talked too much about Riley when his only notable pressure was on your scumbuddy, and scumposted like a motherfucker at various points. Your claim was iffy at best, especially after you yourself had already voiced suspicion of a Doctor.

Scum who didn't do so well:
    Caesar - Don't sheep like that. If you do, at least have your own perspective. Not really much else to say since you had to replace out.
    Lungs - Wut?

3p:
    Lexicat - That probably qualified as abuse in some states. Played very very well. You built up enough towncred to survive a weak claim (Sesc could have blown it to smithereens though), and hit your target.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  19. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

I'd like to reiterate my QT thoughts:

HOW THE HELL DOES THE ONLY PSYCHIC ON THE SHOW NOT HAVE ANY POWERS?!?!? I saw River and got all excited till I read Vanilla Town. Then I was like "lolwut?".

Meh, overall the tiny bit I did get to play was pretty good, I tried to follow it on my own and it was an average game from what I could see. I was surprised by the Aekiel implosion to be honest, it took me a quick re-read to really get past that. This was fun and I do want to apologize for replacing out so early in the game. I was all set to try and improve myself here. I'll wait for another mini-mafia and see if I can do better and not replace out.

Last word: Lungs, I told you I was Summer Glau. Ya bitch.

20. Sesc

Eh. Re: gambiting.

First of all, a Town win makes everything right. But beyond that, with the knowledge, the suspicions and the state of the game I had at that time, it was actually not the worst thing. You have to look at the other options. Claiming doctor would have achieved what? Quite possibly a lynch on me (instead of Aekiel), and if there had been a dedicated roleblocker, the instant uselessness of my role. And on top of that, it was on Day 2, so there was lots of time and mislynches left, minimising the risk.

Of course, it went off the track as these things tend to do, when Lexicat was a Third Party leaving the game instead of regular Mafia, but I don't think I ever encountered one of those before. I apparently also interpreted Eido's no game ending jester roles more broadly than I should have -- I'd have put insta!win third faction somewhere around there, if someone had brought up the theory in the game thread.

So yeah. I pondered that in my qt extensively, but I think it remains the least bad option at that time.

And as for the flavour brokenness, lol. WELL YOU NEVER KNOW WITH DEM GAMEHOSTS ;_;

I still like my idea for Alphabet Mafia, though.