1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mini Mafia #6

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Citrus, Dec 12, 2015.

1. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

>_>

Please stop this.

2. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Your paranoia would be far more believable if you'd followed up, at all, on either of the questions you asked me.

"Newcomb is hard to read."

<does nothing to read Newcomb>

[​IMG]

3. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

Thanks for not phoning it in this game font!

4. fontisian

Watching Kai tunnel Rubicon is so cathartic.

---------- Post automerged at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

Go away, hypocrite.

5. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

so subtle. :p

No need, none of my alts are really secret.

Just watching him.

---------- Post automerged at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

I don't think that would help.

6. KaiDASH

That's what you want me to do here?

:3

7. Newcomb

Okay, well. I've seen you be way more active and engaged as town. Like how you went after blabtisian (correctly) in Hannibal Mafia. What's stopping you from doing that here?

You feel like you're depressed and/or coasting. I mean, I'm coasting now, but frankly I've put in the effort this game to deserve to, whereas you... haven't.

How are you going to read me? Are you just going to hope one of us dies before you're forced to? You say I haven't done anything alignment indicative. But you're showing no curiosity or genuine paranoia.

Fuck, man, you've spent more time this game joking with Delphine about offsite games than you have providing original content. I think in all your posts, you have like, one or two things that are actual reads or thoughts on the game?

Rubicon pls

pls

8. Rubicon

errr.

/10chars

9. dLGN

dLGN Muggle

High Score:
    It's very similar to return inhibition, which is a major topic in the attention literature, and I see it all the fking time in mafia. I think it is an interesting and underutilized strategy for mafia and I think it's exactly what snowvon has been doing this game wrt Proph. It appears you've picked up on this as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inhibition_of_return

10. Rubicon

Pretty much all my posts contain actual reads or thoughts on the game.

I will either read "around" you, that is, narrow in on you by process of elimination or by identifying other scum and seeing whether you make sense with them -- or I'll wait for you to break down and tunnel someone eventually. That's when you tend to bleed towniness.

11. LochNess

LochNess Third Year DLP Supporter

Honestly, I'd rather lynch Snowvon than Prophylaxis, and am going to put my vote on him.

Rescind Vote, Vote: Snowvon

---------- Post automerged at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

Also Koalas come post!
    And KaiDASh- if you're town, please start posting anything to try and help, because you don't seem to be doing so at all and it is frustrating.

12. Delphine

Delphine First Year

Have literally seen her say as town and in scum QTs that she as scum does not like agreeing with her partners too much, at least. I don't think that's a thing she'd be incapable of reasoning out as scum either.

I do think she sounds natural in general though, for a few reasons, and is very likely going to fall off if scum.

I liked von w/r/t the Thing but haven't thought about him as much as I ought to.

13. Rubicon

Which game was LochNess scum in?

14. KaiDASH

I am helping - fontisian doesn't think I'm scum AND I'm not fighting with her.

10/10 would return tomorrow.

15. LochNess

LochNess Third Year DLP Supporter

Rubicon- just went back through old posts to see myself what games I was in. I know I was in Awesomefia in Jan 2012. The other titles triggered nothing, but I'm sure Delphine will have a colour coded chart on it haha.

---------- Post automerged at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

(I know I was scum in that, not that I know I participated)

16. dLGN

dLGN Muggle

High Score:

This is the interaction that was what I needed to get my footing in this game. I had been wavering on newcomb all game (talking about emotion without showing it in post #113 was so gross) and continue to have fairly strong feelings in both directions to most of his posts, unlike others. Similarly I was pretty null on fonti until her case against Proph, which had me more at "if she's scum and is getting me to bandwagon on a mislynch she deserves this one."

However, this is one of the best interactions I have seen all game and probably in all of the games I've played. Very little is explicitly said but the undertones are strong. I kind of glossed over it the first time because of the huge images at the end of the 100pp page but on reread it was a major moment of insight for me.

At first I thought this was either a trap or a joke from fonti, but on second reading I think I understood it correctly. Suffice to say I don't see this coming from scum fonti and I think I need not waver on newcomb anymore. Put them both as solid town for it, and have lots of small notes taken down (largely about newcomb) if I ever have to reevaluate, but he's taking an approach to the game that I don't seen an obvious wincon from, if I am indeed reading the game correctly.

Considering my change of heart about Newcomb and newfound comfort with reading fonti town, I think Jan #117 looks worse for it. Nothing damning, but certainly someplace to look at more, despite how much I enjoyed his joke about stormtroopers and their lack of pockets lol. If I was right about Jan then a likely third in the snowvon/proph world this is all leading to is quite possibly Rubicon, as (still uber town) Delphine noted in post #158. I strongly agree that their interactions have been some of the worst in this game so far.

I think newcomb's post #160 is interesting to consider. I still think proph is very likely scum but I found this alternative interpretation more towny than protection-motivated, further supporting my townread on newcomb.

One of the biggest red flags for me was post #177 where snowvon asks why fonti and rubicon aren't tunneling each other. Scum love nothing more than town to waste their time and argue/tunnel to mislynch, and asking for it to happen is something I see incredibly disproportionately coming from scum rather than town. It's something I know I've done in my weaker scumgames and have a hard time thinking ever comes from a towny perspective. Why would you want that sort of thing?

Oddly enough, it may be in order to get a partner active in the game? I think 183/184 between snowvon and rubicon was bad and that rubicon in particular may have been attempting to defuse delphine's suspicions from #158 by openly accepting that criticism. This is further supported by Snowvon's unvote of Proph and vote onto Rubicon, which is all sorts of WTF to me right now. I think in the world where mafia proph goes down today snowvon is distancing from rubicon today in order to raise their chances in the lategame? rubicon's response was so bad though that I think the team very well could be outed already.

Will post other little things here and there but fonti did a great job detailing the specifics of what is scummy coming from snowvon already, hence why this is more big picture.

---------- Post automerged at 18:27 ---------- Previous post was at 18:15 ----------

Also I kind of agree with this sentiment, but have a hard time seeing Proph as anything but mafia with/independently of/ snowvon, so I'm not sure there's an appreciable difference between the two enough to lynch one over the other.

17. Story Content: Votecount 1.3
    Citrus

Citrus First Year

Votecount 1.3

I mistakenly counted LochNess's old vote and did not include dLGN on this votal. These mistakes have been corrected.

---------- Post automerged at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

Official Votecount 1.3
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Prophylaxis (5): Delphine (#18), Fontisian (#51), Newcomb (#126), Rubicon (#129), dLGN (#173)
    Rubicon (2): KaiDASH (#116), Prophylaxis (#144)
    Newcomb (1): Jan (#117)
    Snowvon (1): LochNess (#251)

Abstain / No Placed Vote (3): Koalas (n/a), The Storm (#174), Snowvon (#177)

With 12 alive, it takes a majority of 7 to lynch. If 9 votes are placed on a single player, day will immediately end with a hard lynch.

Day One ends in 45 hours: Day One End

Mod-notes:
    Snowvon is on V/LA until Wednesday (V/LA stands for Vacation and/or Limited Access to the forum)

A series of rules addendums follow due to me forgetting a bunch of important ones when I manually wrote up rules for the OP, though they are are all probably implied anyways.
    Rules Addendum #2: Don't directly quote from your QT's in the game-thread. Obviously preparing a post in your QT before you post it in the game-thread is fine, but for example directly quoting your Role PM in the game thread is NOT allowed
    Rules Addendum #3: Don't be a jerk
    Rules Addendum #4: Don't lie about IRL (in real life things)
    Rules Addendum #5: Don't question someone on IRL
    Rules addendum #6: Please try to limit the posting of outside content to this game. This is open to interpretation, but for example posting an enormous pastebin of 300 pages on your thoughts about the game via a link is absolutely NOT acceptable (yes this is an extreme example, no noone wanted to do this I just made it up)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  18. dLGN

dLGN Muggle

High Score:
    Also, to detail what I didn't really elaborate much on, some of the Jan reconsideration stems from this post.

I think the snowvon read is super thin. That interaction was almost entirely non-game-related (I deliberately phrased a lot of it to be speaking in the abstract, without implying too much about the game at hand, ie. the parts about fonti), or was casual to the point where it was easy to get cheaply townread, which is what Jan may be (opportunistically?) taking away from it.

The read on LochNess reads awkwardly to me. The word choice and phrasing about liking her for coming to the same conclusion despite? the reasoning, which is 'understandable' is a bit weak to me. I guess the read itself isn't too strong but that's kind of my point? Sort of feels like Jan has been slowly pushing Newcomb more and more and while Newcomb initially was on my radar as potential scum I've seen a lot more to like from him lately.

To be fair I don't want to read too much into the stylistic aspects considering it could be a second language effect but I've never had that sort of thought about jan speaking or typing before so it stood out. It's more so that he may be falling on the the other side of what I currently believe to be the right side of the fence.

Also idk if that is the best read Jan could venture about fonti at this point. She's taken some hard stances and yet the read is very conditional and reads a bit reluctant? Especially if he truly believes Proph to be scum atm, idk why the read would be 'slight town'. I get fear but seems a bit too safe.

19. Newcomb

This reaction feels fake and forced and lazy, not to mention unproductive. Scum!fonti shuts down dialogue like this.

But it's also a feather compared to a pile of gold on the other side of the scale, in terms of weighing fonti's towniness.

IFF Proph flips town and I die in the night, someone needs to actually go back and look and consider fonti/dLGN +1. Because that's the scary world that I always lose to this game.

I don't believe in it. It's dumb. It gives both of them credit for a masterful, long-term manipulation not just of the thread but of me personally. But it's like... two games in a row, one playing, one spectating, where I've been badly wrong. And I know I can't use that to doubt myself, because hello downward spiral, but that feeling is still there.

I still think realistically Proph is outed mafia, fonti/Storm/LochNess/dlGN are super town, Delphine and Koalas are probably town, and all 3 mafia are probably in Prohp/Jan/Rubicon/Snowvon because of course they are.

We're still lynching Proph, always. More votes on him, please.

But in the edge case <5% world he flips town, we have to do a hard-reset. No one gets a pass.

20. fontisian

Was joke???