1. The second prompt is revealed! (Q2 2018)

"Breaking into Snape's office in the middle of the night was a risky move at the best of times..."

Deadline is June 18th, also known as the 22nd Anniversary of a seriously sad day—a tremendously black day for anyone.

As with before you can check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum.

Dismiss Notice

Complete Monkey Business by Eilyfe - M - Naruto

Discussion in 'Naruto' started by Plothole, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Plothole

Plothole Fourth Year

Title: Monkey Business
    Author: Eilyfe
    Rating: M
    Genre: Humor
    Wordcount: 40k
    Fandom: Naruto
    Pairings: Some Naruto/Sakura
    Summary: After two years of travelling with Jiraiya, Naruto – wiser, stronger and all kinds of awesome – meets up with Sakura on the island of Danube. With hormones running rampant, a swamp growing out of nowhere and mercenaries flooding the cities, that alone would be enough for anyone to handle. But when they hear that Sasuke isn't far away, things quickly become more complicated.

I was surprised that this wasn't already in the library. In a fandom that has a serious dearth of good new (completed) stories, this is one of the best in the last year. It's lighthearted (for the most part), canon compliant since it takes place between Part I and II, and manages to retain feel of most of the characters. If I have one criticism it's that there are some scenes with humor that borders on the crackish.

I've read this twice and enjoyed it a lot both times. 4/5 from me.

Edit: Added link. Thanks Xarlor.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2018
  2. Xarlor

Xarlor First Year

3. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I really enjoyed Eilfye's Team 7 fic. He's an overall really solid author. I've never been disappointed with anything he wrote, only that there's not more of it. :)

I didn't mind this fic as much as I thought, I was honestly wary about reading it because of the humor tag, and the fact that its Naruto and I hate depictions of anime humor. But, instead I find my self satisfied with the story. A decent interpretation of Naruto. Sakura wasn't an annoying cunt, and Jiraiya being Jiraiya. What more could be asked for?

Giving this a 4/5.

This thread hasn't been reviewed since it was posted, and only has one rating, from the OP. It was last active 55 days ago. Is this really how we treat our own authors?

4. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've always had a strange relationship with Eilyfe's writing. I've always admired him. His knack for character voice and the sheer planning and meticulous work that goes into his stories is something I envy.

Yet, I've always had trouble sticking with his stories. Something in the way he writes puts me off, fails to grab me. I have to consciously try to not tab out or tab back in when I do, even though I'm aware that it's a great story.

Something in his style just rubs me the wrong way. Either way, this is a great story that has all the qualities of his writing process in it.

Edit: Having said that, I can't agree with some plot decisions on the second chapter.

3/5

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  5. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm really surprised no one else has taken the time to give this a review since its a DLP Author. Kinda shitty, really. But, I'm moving it to the Naruto Library its sat here long enough. If you feel otherwise, drop in a review and tell us what you think.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018