1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Monster Hunter World

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Gengar, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is my bow tree atm. Notice to the right it still says 'under construction'. There are 4 trees off screen to the top.

I just got the ability to forge a third base weapon too. Dragon element ones. [​IMG]

2. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I'd wondered what that meant. Neat. There's an incentive to progress through the story after I spend 8 hours farming fire-breathing tyranosaurs

3. Gengar

High Score:
    Pro tip. When you get to Rotten Vale, don't bother fucking with Odogaron (the badass red kimodo dragon) until you fully open the map.

Got it to the point where it's limping home, it climbs into a wall i can't follow and stays off map...

So annoyed. Worst thing that's happened yet. They shouldn't let monsters spawn that retreat to a locked part of the map...

4. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

I heard its gonna be Fall, so between 6-9 months. Not fun of the wait, but oh well.

5. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Kiranico is up!

One of the best online resources for previous games (weaknesses, crafting recipes, drop rates, encounter zones, etc). It's not great yet, but it's always been my go-to for anything MH-related.

6. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was supposed to wait till the PC release... gave in and bought for PS4 on release day.

It's been pretty fun. My first MH (I tried one on a handheld, the controls were utter shit and I quit after two hours, never came back - one of the like two games I've bought but never finished), and I definitely like it so far. The learning curve is definitely pretty steep. Just beat ...Barroth? He was the first enemy to make me cart. Definitely a bump in difficulty.

Right now I'm doing every mission twice just to learn the game and get mats, and trying to figure out which armor and weapons I should be using.

7. Gengar

High Score:
    I'm not sure if everyone is already doing this, but make sure you're doing the Grimalkyne side quests on every map. The items they give your Palico are powerful af.

You start with the heal item.

Ancient forest Grimal give your Palico a flash bang

Wsw give your Palico a shield that can taunt.

Coral ones give them a hunting horn that gives loads of awesome buffs.

The vale has a straight up busted one, the one I just got. It's a dagger that drops rare items when your Palico attacks. A lot of items.

8. Gengar

High Score:
    FUCK YOU RATHALOS AND YOUR STUPID BUTT BUDDY RATHIAN!

Even with that lil bitch bird following you all over the map, I still caught you you fucking cunt!

UGH! Easily the most triggering investigation /quest so far... I don't think there's any monsters I've encountered yet that are Goose to their Maverick like Rathian/Rathalos...

9. Gengar

High Score:
    Dunno who else is still playing, but just killed Nergigante. Feelsgoodman. Probably only need one more kill to craft the bow that'll make killing elder dragons much easier.

10. Agayek

I'm farming HR Diablos at the moment to prep for that, just need like 2 more kills and I'll have a full set of armor + switch axe, then gonna have to hunt down a black one to finish off the weapon.

Speaking of, there's actually a question I ran into I can't find an answer to on the internets. The Diablos set has a 4 piece bonus where it empowers "non-elemental weapons", and the Diablos switch axe I'm using has a hidden element. Does the set bonus apply to the weapon? And if so, does it only apply when I'm not rocking the armor skill to enable it?

11. Gengar

High Score:
    I'm pretty sure when you look at a hidden-element weapon outside the smithy, it actually says 'no-element' or whatever, right?

12. Agayek

No. It has the element in the weapon description, but it's greyed out. That's why I'm confused. The set bonus seems like it should work with hidden elements, as if not it'd disqualify it from working with practically all of the end-game weapons, but the weapons themselves aren't explicitly flagged as non-elemental and it wouldn't be the weirdest thing I've seen this game do, so it's impossible to be sure.

13. Gengar

High Score:
    I remember it not showing on a Pukei bow I had. Maybe I'm misremembering.

Regardless, logically, it'd make sense that the check for whether it's an elemental weapon would be if it does bonus elemental damage. I can't see a reason for it to negatively double dip that way. I guess you could always check in the training room by crafting a similar damage non-elemental weapon?

14. Agayek

Good call, I'd forgotten all about the training room. I'll give that a shot next time I play the game.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Tested it, and I can confirm that the bonus works if the element is hidden, but the armor skill to unlock the element will invalidate the set bonus.

On a completely unrelated note, I killed Nergigante and I've gotta ask: was I the only person, upon seeing the Nergigante armor, to just start laughing at how ridiculous it looks? I'm gonna farm it up now, cuz good god is it fucking amazing stats and skills, but god damn does it look silly. The beta version anyway, I kinda like the alpha variation, but there's barely any decoration slots in there :(

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  15. Gengar

High Score:
    I think the only good looking armor in the game is Odogaron (esp beta holy smokes) and the Reaper looking one you make with Sinister cloths.

edit: Actually, Nergigante looks hot as shit on women (without the helm)

16. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm enjoying the game quite a bit. About 40+ hours in, just beat that Pink Rathian. Makes me laugh at my earlier Barroth comment. Definitely the hardest fight so far. At least I didn't triple cart :D

17. Gengar

High Score:
    I'm pretty sure I'm getting second credits as i speak. That, or i misremembered getting them after zora.

Either way, last boss armour looks fucking awesome.

18. Agayek

There's no credits after Zorah Magdaros. You're dropped straight back into the game again with a brief congratulatory cutscene and orders to go relax for a bit.

19. Gengar

High Score:
    Huh. Well I've beaten the game then. Your HR gets unlocked and you get bumped to hr 29 right after. At least I did.

Seriously though, last boss armour (i dunno why I'm not saying his name, not like it means anything lol...) looks amazing. It's not amazing perk wise, but it could be nice if it procs often (chance to not consume ammo/coatings, and something with sharpness)

20. Agayek

Nice. Yeah, I'm still just farming Nergigante at the moment, trying to finish up my set so I can be Baron Cackles von Babyeater, Dark Lord of All while I murder the other three elder dragons.