1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Moody's Eye

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SlytherinDamian, Sep 23, 2005.

1. SlytherinDamian

SlytherinDamian Raptured to Hell

I'm trying to save myself the trouble of rereading the books here, so I figure I'd see if anyone knows off the top of their head. I know Mad-Eye can see through Harry's cloak, and I'm fairly sure there was an instance where he 'saw through' the back of his head when someone passed a note in class. But Dumbledore could see though the cloak as well, and many times in ones life you may find a parent or teacher seemingly to have 'eyes in the back of their head' when in actuality they are just perceptive and know what kids get up to. So I'm curious as to whether there is any irrefutable scene or example of canon Moody seeing through a solid, non-illusionary object. Harry's cloak is an illusion, and its very magic may be the thing that gives it away to some.

2. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

‘OH NO YOU DON’T, LADDIE!’
    Harry spun around. Professor Moody was limping down the marble staircase. His wand was out and it was pointing right at a pure white ferret, which was shivering on the stone-flagged floor, exactly where Malfoy had been standing.
    There was a terrified silence in the Entrance Hall. Nobody but Moody was moving a muscle. Moody turned to look at Harry – at least, his normal eye was looking at Harry; the other one was pointing into the back of his head.
    ‘Did he get you?’ Moody growled. His voice was low and gravelly.
    ‘No,’ said Harry, ‘missed.’
    ‘LEAVE IT!’ Moody shouted.
    ‘Leave – what?’ Harry said, bewildered.
    ‘Not you – him!’ Moody growled, jerking his thumb over his shoulder at Crabbe, who had just frozen, about to pick up the white ferret. It seemed that Moody’s rolling eye was magical and could see out of the back of his head.

He sees through the back of his head, which is solid.

Example 2: Lavender jumped and blushed. She had been showing Parvati her completed horoscope under the desk. Apparently Moody’s magical eye could see through solid wood, as well as out of the back of his head.

Solid desk.

‘Nice socks, Potter,’ Moody growled as he passed, his magical eye staring through Harry’s robes.

Robes

theres more instances I'm sure

Since I've become a parent, I've realized good parents and teacher do not have a sixth sense for that stuff, it's always the mannerism of the kid or person who gives it away. They get reallllly quiet, or fidget alot, or sneak glances at something they're hiding, thinking like that.

3. SlytherinDamian

Well, that settles that then. Thank you.

I found an answer to my other thread, btw. Without bumping it up, I found out from the Lexicon in the list of PoA UK vs US differences that Minister for Magic is indeed the Brit edition's wording, and 'of' is the US.

4. Midknight

No problem, just took a few minutes of looking through a ecopy of the book.

It made me realize however, while I was searching for the keyword Moody, just how many damned times she says one characters name on average.

I had to click next a ungoldy amount of times to come up with the results I did, and I didn't even get halfway through it. Moody like every 3rd sentence, jesus.

5. Burt

Burt Fourth Year

Why was Moody looking through that desk at Parvati's lap?

6. Midknight

7. SlytherinDamian

Parvati is great, I can't understand passing on her for Cho and then Ginny. JKR is such a tool...

8. Burt

Burt Fourth Year

A lot of people here would probably gouge their own eye out just to get an eye like Moody's. ;)

9. Midknight

it'd be fun for awhile I think, but it'd drive me insane to see through things like that all the time, not to mention the massive headaches 2 points of view would cause.

10. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

true... but youre forgetting that whole looking at a guy and seeing FAR too much...

11. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Well I could have told you that it was the mannerisms that give everything away. Any good self respecting poker player would tell you the same. The only people those "eye's in the back of the head" don't work on are sociopaths.

Now back on topic.

Crouch/Moody = Pedophile. It probably all started when Voldemort molested him.

12. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

I was wondering about that. In my story, I have Moody's eye be self-inflicted. I have notes on my story, I just realized I need to have a more concrete end. I'm getting there though.

ANyway, Moody did it to HIMSELF. MOst people don't do it because they're not that crazy. ALso didn't create the magical eye (otherwise others would do it). That's all I'm gonna say. :wink:

13. Kaotac

Kaotac Second Year

Shouldn't the real question be, why was Moody looking through Harry's robes?

14. Old Nuit

Old Nuit High Inquisitor

Well in the Harry Potter universe every old man seems to be a pedophile.

15. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

homosexual pedophiles, nit... homosexual pedophiles...

16. Midknight

Yep this disturbed me when I read it also.