1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

More Than A Pretty Face by Black Knight 03 - T - [Harry/Fleur]

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Sesc, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Title: More Than A Pretty Face
    Author: Black Knight 03
    Rating: T
    Pairing: Harry/Fleur
    Genre: Angst/Romance
    DLP-Category: Romance
    Length: 11,981 words
    Summary: Fleur uses her new powers of persuasion to get into the Ministry of Magic and break Harry out. FD-HP AU starts at the end of HBP.

I found that it wasn't yet posted For Review or in the Library while making the H/F stories-overview post in the Community-Thread.

It's a nice little piece. Mostly Fluff, sure, but I don't mind occasional Fluff and liked it. Also, I thought the opening was quite good. I like this Fleur; and I wish there would've been more of Awesome!Fleur throwing Fireballs around and wtfpwning some Aurors, but AFAIK the author never writes action; so even what little is there is atypical. Still, it makes the first chapter the best one IMO.

The setting is Post-War; semi-AU -- Bill died in the war. And don't be fooled by the Angst-Tag, I didn't see any in the story.

Above 4/5; espacially for Fleur in the first chapter.

2. Galleon

Galleon DA Member

I remember reading this not too long ago, I'd give it a 4/5 as well. Fleur wasn't done unrealistically, but I always envisioned her more stuck-up. Still, it has decent grammar, and a good pairing, just lacking the extra zing to make it 5/5.

3. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

Jedi Mind Trick!Fleur was amusing. I thought it was a decent fic.

The way the story ended, I thought it was a set up for a sequel. It's a good pairing with decent grammar, but I the ending was abrupt-- almost like it was too forced.

3.4 stars because I don't think I could justify rounding it up to 4 stars.

4. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

A woman is more than a pretty face? Pfft, know your place, bitch, and go and make me a sandwhich.

That said, I found this story to be...eh. 3/5

5. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

Read it as it came out. The first two chapters were pretty interesting, and then it sort of fizzled out in the third and fourth. That makes me wonder if the author had any idea what to do next or if it was planned. It was a reasonably enjoyable quick read.

3/5

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  6. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

This story was well-written and contained one of the rarer pairings, but it just didn't engage me. It was a little long to be a oneshot, and it certainly wasn't long enough to be a fully fledged story, and just wasn't really interesting to me. I'm going to have to go with a 3/5.

7. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

@scary: It was planned (or at least that was what I read in her LJ sometime), but the last chapter was added later, so maybe that's why it feels this way.

Nevertheless, the first chapter is still great. As I re-read the story, I felt it almost a bit wasted in a short story. If someone tweaked it a bit and expanded on the action; and used it as an opening for a completely different, full-fledged post-DH story ... errgh. And suddenly, I've got a dozen new ideas. As if I don't have enough of them in my head and stories to write already *sigh*

But lets get down to brass tacks. Who is the H/F-traitor that just now rated it 1/5 and didn't even leave a review? I'm not amused. Declare yourself, mister.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  8. Cy Block

Cy Block Second Year

I’d give it a 2/5, if not for the fact that Harry is competent when travelling by floo. That’s something I don’t encounter often enough. 3/5 for that, even though it is in dire need of some proof-reading, less bureaucracy and more rocking bureaus.

9. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

It's alright. I manages to avoid being cliche' (at least overly so) but it seems like more of a prelude to a story rather than a story in an of it's self.

Average
    3/5

10. Goddessa39

Goddessa39 DA Member

It held my interest for a time. Foiling a plot that is started by your own side right under your nose is kind of rare and the turn out is surprising.

For the quality and thought out, I'd give three stars.

But it did capture my interest for a time so I'll give 7/10