1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Most compelling characters in fiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by ray243, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

Well, I seem to be the only person I know that's willing to admit this, but I find Jaime Lannister from A Song of Ice and Fire to be very compelling as a character.

He didn't seem to want much out of life, except to do what he loved (serving as a knight) and be with the woman he loved (granted, the woman he loved was his sister, married, and psychotic to boot, but still...). And when he was put in a position where he had to choose between letting hundreds of thousands die in agony, or committing an act that, if it didn't get him executed, would certainly see him reviled for the rest of his life, he made the right choice and has suffered for it ever since.

And now, later in the series, the man wants to atone, to truly live up to the man he should have been the whole time. But everyone still hates his guts, and no one believes in him. He's burned all his bridges to his old life, but no one will give him a second chance to build new ones. To add insult to what is already a plethora of insults and injuries, even most readers still seem to hate the guy, despite knowing how sincere he is.

That determination to do what he feels is right, despite the frustratingly persistent lack of recognition makes for an incredibly interesting character, imo.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  2. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

I've always found Lelouch and C.C from Code Geass to be quite compelling, but there's something about Schniezel... His total lack of human empathy, or a conscience perhaps? But he made the best antagonist of the series, the Emperor was a let-down in my eyes.

In terms of books, Skullduggery before Landy started revealing his past was the sole reason I read the books, as I tried to make up my own story based on the vague facts we got, then the later books started info-dumping his life which left me a bit of disappointment.

3. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

I'm not so sure Kreia from KOTOR2 is "compelling" - but I do find her interesting. But she keeps her emotions at such a length that it's hard to narrow down who she really is and what she's really feeling. You can see her as a sympathetic old woman who lost her husband to war, daughter to her enemy, was abandoned by the Jedi council, and empowered herself through the study of history and meditation, seeking truth in the universe. On the other hand, she's a manipulative bitch that uses the protagonist to achieve all her ends and twist his sense of morality. She also rose to fame teaching Sith the ways of murder and war. She has facets of personality, but they aren't that cohesive to me.

I like Ishmael from Moby Dick, though I'm not so sure he's "compelling". I like that he's depressed in the beginning of the story, that he's more or less wandering aimlessly, seeking some kind of futile understanding with an open mind.

It's hard for me to really put a finger on what makes a character "comepelling" - is sympathy really necessary? Or is the term "empathy" - that we can understand a character's emotions, and how they effect its direction in the story? That's probably what makes a character most compelling, when a reader understands a choice in relation to circumstance and emotion.

4. Izanagi

Izanagi First Year

I'm suprised no one has said Kvothe yet from the Kingkiller Chronicles. There is just something about his overbearing arrogance which is just so compelling to read about though i'm not sure whether it is down to Kvothe himself or the way Rothfuss has written him but it's pretty damn compelling to read about.

5. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The first book character that popped into my mind when I read the thread title was Superior Glokta from The First Law trilogy. Extremely memorable guy.

6. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Mark Renton, from Trainspotting, (the movie as I've yet to finish the book)

The truth is that I'm suicidal, have been for a long time, and I'm always struggling to kick narcotics, not heroin, but hurting your leg gets you things it shouldn't. And Mark Renton is the character who more than anyone to me, concurs a realistic and terrifying isuue. he isn't perfect, but as he wrestles with his dark nature, drugs, and trouble feeling much empathy for "undeserving' people (they really are, but empathy is just normal and human) he may not become perfect, or a good person, but he always improves. it's why I changed my nick 4 or 5 times and my name 4 times (refer to WMF for how terrible) the ever present desire to at least improve in little ways on some level.

7. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The most compelling character I know of... Difficult question. I'd rather pick a type of character. I like the type that isn't a genius but has to solve big problems anyway, that use mean cunning to do what they have to do, and do it with a ruthless streak a mile wide. Sam Vimes falls heavily into this one and his character arc through the Guards novels is my favourite of the Discworld series.

Locke Lamora also displays these characteristics on top of a flair for the dramatic that pushes all the right buttons for me.

Other than those I suppose Kelsier is rather intriguing. His back story has been laid out for the most part, but I just find the idea of a noble dandy turned thief overthrowing an entire empire to be fascinating.

8. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Kvothe is one of my favorite characters.
    He's everything I want to be: not in his skills or looks, but in attitude. He approaches everything with the attitude of "I can do this". That's the most impressive thing for me, pushing and learning and growing beyond your limits. I try and incorporate that attitude into my life.

9. Barzûl

Barzûl Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Bartimaeus from the Bartimaeus Sequence. Such a lovely character, he is. He never ceases to amuse me and outsmarts several other spirits despite the fact that he often is an underdog.