1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mr. Robot

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Jeram, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I need to discuss this with reasonable people of the Internet. It's one of the best shows of the year, maybe the best on right now. The most accurate version of hacking I have EVER seen on TV or movies. But the show is also damn good.

That last episode bruh...

2. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

It really is fantastic. The latest episode was insane, bummed there are only 2 more in the season, but season 2 was confirmed before the season even started, so there is that, at least.

I love the narration & direction in particular, but the cast is also stellar.

B.D. Wong as whiterose, though!

3. Jeram

High Score:
    The main guy Rami Malek was really only in those silly Night at the Museum movies; he's so good here. That spoiler you mentioned was awesome too, love seeing that guy, even in lower quality things (cough Jurassic World).

So:
    You think Mr. Robot is real, his dad, his stepdad...?

4. shez

shez Second Year

I haven't seen the latest episode yet, but I love what I've seen so far. The grit is real. Eliot, being as messed up and imbalanced as he is, is still strangely likeable and intriguing. The voiceovers are mostly effective, at times though I felt they were a bit overmuch.

No clue where the show is going, but yeah, will keep watching.

Ugh I hope they don't do the dad thing...

5. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

Rami Malek was also in Short Term 12, which is a GREAT movie.

I go back and forth, but I still think he is most likely hallucinating him, if he is his father...he sure looks young like he did in the photos, and there are a lot of things that make me think he is Elliot. If he's his stepdad and his real dad did die, I think he's more likely to be real, though. IDK, it seems fucked up if his dad faked his death and left Elliot and Darlene with their terrible mother. (I don't think she is Darlene's actual mom though because Darlene is white and Elliot's mom is not). I guess maybe things were terrible enough he had to do that, but I just don't think so. This show is great, though, I really do go back and forth, certain things convince me one way but then I reevaluate and just don't fucking know. I still lean towards hallucination currently, though.

6. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

I'm midway through the second episode, but man. It's pretty good. The actor who plays Eliot is pretty good at what he does. The voiceovers seem nice at this stage, though I'm waiting to see how it all plays out.

7. TMD

TMD High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I loved this show. Then I didn't like it. Now I like it again.

8. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's definitely a good show. Though I will rage if it does turn out to all be hallucinations.

9. redlibertyx

redlibertyx Professor

I still expect his father/Mr. Robot to be a hallucination but they swerved really well with that reveal that about Darlene. Now I don't know what to think for sure.

10. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

Bumping this thread because the last two episodes of S1 were just spectacular television. Also, S2 hasn't been as great as S1, but I still am enjoying the shit out of this season. Rami Malek deserves all the accolades that he has been getting.

Gideon, may you rest in peace. :(

11. Nae

Nae The Violent

Just saw this thread. My review (from reddit):

I have bigger problems with that show than just being pretentious. It's a bad show, period. I don't know what Reddit et all sees in it. It seems like a Big Brother anti-corporate vibe combined with some basic research into Tech is all it takes to get people going. Mild Spoilers for season 1 below:

Problems I have:

1. The "big reveal". Guessed it in episode 1.

2. Exaggerations: you mean to tell me this hallucinating junkie who is basically a fuck up in real life, can't talk to people, can't really do anything, is a super smart hacker working in an actually good security firm? Sure, lets give them that. Now you're telling me he's also suddenly got a girl interested in him? Oh well ok, I guess guy's just lucky. Oh wait, you mean he's also secretly getting involved with a hacking group etc etc? Speaking of:

3. The hacking group: A group which things meeting IRL at a secret location is actually "more secure" because of a twisted logic based upon trust. In what world do these people live? Not to mention, everyone else in the group is more or less just a sidekick for our hero. Caricatures.

4. Motivation: What's their motivation again? To reset the world economy? Why? Like literally, what's going on here that goes beyond "everything is fucked up, we will reset it and hope it works out for the best"? Nothing.

5. Evil Corp: Oh you mean you use KDE as well? Dude, I'm totally loving this show because of that reference and the fact that the show showed a real command line now!!! NOT. The slightly deranged CTO was an interesting twist, but they kinda went overboard with him as well.

6. Elliot and his "family": Enough said.

7. Only decent character killed off.

And no, him being a junkie/"the show is from his point of view" is not an excuse.

All this is just off the top of my head. I watched the show way back when it came out. Only reason I didn't ditch it immediately is because everyone was loving it and I was mildly curious, being a tech guy myself. It failed on every expectation as a good show. Bland and one-dimensional characters, stupid plot, no real motivations, visually not a masterpiece either. Hero's internal monologue got tiring. As someone else has mentioned, dialogue are nothing to speak of either.

I'm not gonna bother with season 2.

12. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I went five episodes into the first season.

"Oh, look at me, I'm a troubled junkie genius who's extremely good at one thing and an inhuman cyborg at everything else in life. I have a really hot childhood friend. We once bonded over a shared experience and now she's dating an asshole."

Don't cut yourself with all the edge, Elliot. And did I mention how original a character you are?

And I don't know what in this show is supposed to pass for engaging acting. Elliot is what the title says - a robot - and his croaky voice narration about the stupidity of sheeple and evuul of the literal Evil Corporation is so emo I'm amazed the show doesn't induce viewers to swallow razor blades. Gideon seems to be the only cast member who knows what he's doing and he's also gay for no reason at all. Gay because diversity and modern show. Christian Slater is playing Christian Slater playing a hobo in glasses. This show definitely isn't his Birdman. The blonde girl, whatever her name is, is a shallow, uninteresting character and her boyfriend was more engaging on The Good Wife.

I mean, the show literally opens with Elliot whitehacking (hack whiteknighting) a closeted pedophile. It was so edgy I seriously wondered if whoever wrote this scene didn't use to be in fanfiction. Plus everything Nae said.

It's not the worst show ever, but with the number of other, good things to watch, this is just a waste of time.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    KGB
  13. Jeram

High Score:
    I'm still into it - loved the crazy fever dream of the recent episode.

14. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

It's overrated. It targets a specific audience but I mostly agree with ScottPress.

15. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

You must have missed "The Pacific". That's where I've seen him the first time.

16. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

Agreed. Rami Malek is a phenomenal actor who deserves all the praise that he's been getting for this role.