1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP My Trans-Dimensional, Overpowered... by Sage_Of_Eyes - M - Oregairu/Danmachi

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, and Comics' started by Pure Infinity, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

Title: My Trans-Dimensional, Overpowered Protagonist, Harem Comedy is Wrong, as Expected.
    Author: Sage_of_Eyes
    Rating: M
    Genre: Humor/Adventure
    Category: Anime, Cartoons, and Comics
    Fandom: Oregairu and Danmachi
    Pairings: Hikigaya/Everyone
    Summary: Hikigaya Hachiman, shortly after an odd Valentine's day, finds himself in a new world filled with magic, monsters, and gods. Though he knows not how he got there, he knows that the only way back to his home is through the Dungeon.
    Link: Spacebattles FFN

I was actually planning on putting this up for recommendation a while ago, but the author abandoned it. Now that he's come back to it, however, I think it's worth posting.

The basic premise is Hikigaya Hachiman from Oregairu getting shoved into the world of Danmachi. Hikigaya is completely in character - if not slightly more ambitious than in canon. This story actually reminded me why I liked Oregairu in the first place - Hikigaya.

If I'm being honest, I feel this fic surpasses both Oregairu and Danmachi. Hikigaya shines through better than ever when he isn't shackled by teen romance, and Danmachi's setting is actually pretty bearable through the eyes of an interesting protagonist.

Also, the elves are made roughly a million times better than in Danmachi, simply by virtue of their interactions with Hikigaya.

One downside is that Hikigaya's meta commentary of the setting becomes less funny as the story goes on. It was amusing at first, but the constant mentions of how Hikigaya feels like he's in a light novel written by Zaimokuza gets kind of tedious after a while.

Still, it's definitely a strong 5/5 from me.

2. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    You say teen romance shackled Hikigaya down but I would disagree. He was surrounded by peers and people he could interact with in a fiercely interesting manner, interactions that in turn also elevated Higikaya. Not because he was superior to them but because he was so much different than them and this clash of vastly different perspectives made the show so engaging. Most character in Oregairu were interesting and worthy peers in different ways.

It wasn't Hikigaya running verbal circles around everyone, which, in a lot of ways, this fic is. I did read a lot of it, back when it was updated and I agree, Hikigaya is in character. but I feel like no one else in the fic really has the depth and character to compete truly with him, and that, after a while, made me lose interest. He has the winning plan/strategy/mindset and, at least from what I remember, didn't so much grow, change and reflect as he did coach and try to bring people over to his line of thinking in pseudo badass ways.

There are stronger people than him, of course, but dunno, I never felt as if Hikigaya was ever really outclassed and that his genre saviness and tons of preptime actually had him well prepared against whoever.

It was interesting and fun, but in a lot of ways a wank fic, IIRC and those when too long can get a bit tedious.

3.5/5

3. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

I quite enjoy this, but like others have hinted at some of the the internal monologue bits are getting very overplayed and tedious; namely the Zaimokuza & Totsuka bits are practically omnipresent; and are thus wearing thin. While they was funny at first, it has gotten increasingly tedious to read, I don't really expect them to decrease though, as the author has said that Hikigaya is pretty much still 'insane' and just using it all as a coping mechanism to comprehend the situation he finds himself in.

That said, I do really like this and was very pleased when the author decided to resurrect it. With the introduction of another Oregairu character being a prelude to 'there are more people trapped in this universe' I desperately hope that the next (If there is to be more) character to show up is Hayama; preferably role playing a Paladin or something. I think his introduction and 8mans interactions with him would be great to read.

Has flaws, but they're to be expected from the style of story that it is (Harem comedy hijinks e.g. 8mans gaggle of Elf admirers + Tiona, the overplaying of ZaimokuzaLN/Totsuka references) and don't negatively impact the story in a totally unbearable way, such that you can skim those bits if you really dislike them.

4/5

4. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Coming at this as someone who doesn't know either series, it isn't too bad. I do plan on watching Danmachi at some point, which is probably how I found it. The most annoying thing is remembering to add DanMachi to any search for further details (looking up Hestia by itself doesn't really return anything useful.

I remember early on that the MC talks about how nobody could uplift an entire society, unless they're a cross between an engineer, historian, and psychologist. He seems to be doing a pretty good job at being the best at teaching ever, even if that's not quite as powerful as an SI would tend to be in the same situation.

The references to being inside a story are grating, especially as they seem to be getting more prominent. It could be worse I guess, but it isn't something I'm loving.

Writing seems decent, and there's not loads of typos. That said, I did notice quite a few, and often it looks like the text has been put through a spellchecker, but not re-read (homophones and apostrophe issues, mostly). It's not a complete mess, but there's definite room for improvement.

Story's okay, but I don't know how far off the rails the author's taken it by now. A lot of the same things seem to be happening (from looking at comments in thread) as canon, although I don't know if the differences are just superficial or not.

3.5/5, rounded up for now to a 4.

5. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

It's quite well written, but it is a wank fic in many elements, and like people said, the quite transparent plot elements the author used to try to keep Hachiman connected to his original life are both transparent, repetitive and just stop making sense a long time ago. It's fun though, and it adds a new depth that DanMachi sorely lacks.

A 3.75-4/5 from. I have fond memories, but it isn't something that really risks and try to be more.

6. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Checked this out recently. I haven't seen Danmachi, and I think it might have helped.

Now, there's lots of issues. Huge paragraphs, typos, arguable character development, etc.

Still, I had fun. It was enjoyable to read, and the issues weren't enough to take away from that. It's not particularly deep, but it's not trying to be.

I'll give it a 4/5, rounding up from 3.5. I'd like to see it in the Library.

7. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

I've read it and caught up. As having watched both Danmachi and Oregairu, it feels like Hachiman is somewhat OOC. Of course, everybody would be OOC if thrust upon a fantasy world out of nowhere so I'll give him that.

Otherwise, plot progress if good, characterization is somewhat stilted due to it being in FP. It has kept me entertained enough to binge read it in a few days.

3.5 with a possible 4 if it gets better.

8. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Anyone else read this and willing to review?

9. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

Is good. Probably my favorite guilty pleasure. It's mostly just meta humor about anime and light novels, with some of the typical spacebattles "Breaking the system!!!!!!!" power level nonsense thrown in. Hachiman's internal monologues are fun to read, though, and that's enough.

4/5

10. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    It's a fun read, is very much aware of its nature, takes itself seriously on occasion and does so very carefully and properly.

Hachiman's voice is very on point, and you can tell very early on if you're gonna like it or not. Read it though. It's good.

11. Thaumologist

High Score:
    As of today's update, it sounds like the story is going on indefinite hiatus, whilst the author learns how to write better.

Book two (and three, when it comes), from the sound of it, will follow less along with canon Danmachi:

I guess it could refer to Oregairu, but I don't think we've been following canon for that for quite some time.

This is especially annoying, because I had stopped reading for a few weeks (I'd started Danmachi, and wanted to see how this stacked back up once I was familiar with canon), and only finished my re-read over the weekend.

Still, I enjoyed the story whilst it lasted, and I'll be keeping an eye on the author.

EDIT

I saw a link in the OP on SB to "why Zaimokuza", or something like that. I know it was something that threw me, and others have mentioned it too.

The author's explanation was something along the lines of "well if you got teleported to a magical setting, wouldn't you blame some sort of super-powerful being? And calling them Zaimokuza because it's a bit fanservicey, and avoids shouting out 'curse you ROB!', which is overdone".

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  12. thejabber27

thejabber27 Groundskeeper

Sad this is ending at such an unfulfilling point, though maybe that final Lyon update will show a date.

Though the arc I wanted (people finding out 8man has no god) doesn't seem like it will ever happen now. :(

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  13. Thaumologist

High Score:
    FFN original story hasn't been updated, and neither has there been a second. But I'm sure I remember Sage would tend to post the consolidated chapters there. Author's confirmed new chapters once a week.

Guess it's time for a re-read - flicking through this chapter, and whilst the broad strokes of what happened last time have stuck with me, I don't actually have a great recollection of the actual end of book 1, let alone anything after the fight in the "safezone", other than Hachiman overdid things.