1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

[Naruto] Kakashi and Gai Mission

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Ched, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I just spent about two hours looking for this fic, and had no luck finding it. You do NOT want to know some of the weirdass shit you can run across on AO3 when looking for things involving Kakashi and Gai.

I read this story several years ago.

What I remember:

Kakashi and Gai were in the middle of one of their weird rivalry contests when they discovered evidence of ...something... in the village. I can't remember if it was a crime or an intruder or what.

They investigate, and at some point they ended up on a mission outside of the village. I think Tenten might have been involved, but she wasn't with them. Like maybe someone was running around doing something to talented young ninja unaffiliated with clans, maybe? I seem to recall Kakashi checking on Sakura, only to find that she was with Tsunade and therefore not targeted.

I think this story was set in the middle of the timeskip, but I'm not sure. I'm also not sure if it was finished or not. I feel like it might have been trying to explain what prompted Kakashi to develop his Sharingan more during the timeskip, but I don't remember it actually getting to that part.

The main characters were Kakashi and Gai.

There were no hints of slash.

The story was short. More like a long chapter than anything.

Does anyone else remember this? I don't think it was actually that good, maybe a 3/5 at best, but it's bugging me that I can't find it. I am currently fond of the idea of telling stories during the time-skip.

...I am so tired of looking for this... there's so much slash when you try to search for Kakashi and Gai... *shudders* Be careful friends! I clicked on one where Kakashi was an 'incubus ninja' investigating crimes in the Red Light district...

Edit: Barring hints on where the above story might have vanished to... anyone have any recs set either during the timeskip (with any characters) or featuring Kakashi and Gai without any slash?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  2. eden

eden First Year

I'll make an attempt and see if I can find it, since slash doesn't bother me as hilariously as it obviously does you. :D (Though you're right, Kakashi/Gai slash would, probably should squick out most anyone. :D)

What's your definition of short? And are you sure it's on AO3 and not ffnet?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

First, thanks for saying you'll help.

Second... dafuck? I'm not bothered by slash. It's true I don't want to read it, but there's a lot of stuff I don't want to read - hetero romance included. Some of the stuff on AO3 wasn't bothersome because it was slash so much as it went to a lot of effort to deviate completely from Naruto while including Twilight-esque vampires and nothing but slash. Kakashi/Gai doesn't squick me out as a concept - it's not like there's canon evidence either way... but again, not interested.

Anyway.

I'm not sure it was AO3, but I am reasonably sure it wasn't on ffnet. I add everything I read to my favorites list on ffnet, regardless of whether or not I liked it, so I'd have been able to find it again if it was still available there. Could be anywhere else though.

Thanks again! I hope you find it. I don't have a specific definition of short, but I'd guess it was still <20k.

4. eden

eden First Year

Sorry, I didn't mean it quite like that. Some fic types are just squick-worthy, nothing wrong with that. (From what you described, I imagine you came across some of the particularly squicky ones, and honestly, that's a funny mental image to me when it's not just me so afflicted. :D) But glad that you aren't bothered by it in general that way.

Back on topic:

I'm now 99% sure that fic is not on AO3, unless it's this one:

Theater of War

But it's doubtful.

Still, I'll continue searching elsewhere as well as AO3 and get back to you if I find it.

5. Ashton Knight

Ashton Knight Disappeared DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This isn't the one you're looking for but it's a Kakashi and Gai friendship fic I had in my followed. For some reason, I don't have it in my favourites and the last time I read it was back in 2010 but from the looks of the first couple chapters, it isn't too bad. Unfortunately, it's like 3 in the morning so I can't read through all of it but based on the first few chapters I'd say it was 3/5. I'll getback with a more solid rating within 24 hours.