1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Naruto Plot bunny

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Lion, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I'm trying to write a story where Konoha was set up on a system of two kages at a time ruling the village instead of just one. It would mostly work with one kage being the more benevolent ruler like Sarutobi. While the other would perform the more clandestine actions more like Danzo. My main problem with the stort is putting in the history with the past Hokages because while the First Hokage's other would have been Madra I'm not sure who would be the second for his brother. The only thing I've thought of for that is that Madra goes rouge wanting to be the only Hokage.

For the fourth I was thinking Orochhimaru but I had the problem of would Sarutobi be the only one to step in or would Danzo take his position again. I have the plot for later on but I want it seem like a more epic story than most who do AU and give no reasons.

2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    First of all, at least learn to spell the characters' names right. Madara was the Shodai's foil, and Orochimaru is the foil for Minato.

That said, it's an interesting idea, though I'm not entirely sure it could work in practice since Madara and Hashirama had such differing ideas on how the village should be run.

3. Lion

Knew I got Madara's name wrong. But the differing ideas was supposed to be a boost to the villadge because say Hashirama wanted to something the peaceful way that would have been long and drawn out but Madara wanted to do it in a more agressive manner shorter but costing lives they would have to find a balance.

This was how it would help in the story because in the story Naruto is a better ninja because Danzo and Orochimaru would vote to train him but Sarutobi would vote to keep it at a toned down level where Naruto doesnt become root ninja number 59 or Orochimaru's new Kimimaro of Konoha.

4. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

How would this work? Wouldn't there be clashes based on differing opinions? Who has final say? Eventually, one has to be more powerful than the other, as otherwise there would be issues with the chain of command - whose orders would take precedence for the shinobi of the village?

Sometimes, in the scenario you postulated, there is no middle ground. There is only option A, the peaceful way, and option B, the violent way.

Also, why do the Hokages have to be in pairs? I don't think it necessary for both to step down together. Say Sarutobi stepped down for Minato, but Danzo wished to retain power. Perhaps that could be what set off Orochimaru the way Minato's appointment did in canon.

How would these kage be selected, anyway? If one is more peaceful and one more violent, then their selection relies on something like objective assessment of the principles of a candidate to select them. It wouldn't be too difficult to prepare a candidate so that both kage are of one faction, IMO. This kind of politicking would raise a lot of trouble for the village.

5. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Basically the OP wants to write a more cuddly, happy Narutoverse where Madara didn't flip his shit and summon a giant monster to kill everything, Jiraiya and Orochimaru are still good buds, and Danzou and Sarutobi are bffs.

Kill this.

6. Azira

Azira High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

More importantly, how the fuck would Naruto have his bijuu if Madara is part of the village? Might aswell go ahead and rename him "NaruSasuke, Heir of awesome to the Fourth Hokage". And if you have Madara defect, the story falls apart seeing as... you know, they'll notice the two Hokage stuff isn't working? And then it's basically... the original story.

Kill this seems apt.

7. Lion

No Madara still leaves, there still will be a bjuu attack and I never said that this was going to be a happy story. I'm still deciding wether or not to have Orochimaru stay but if he does other things are gonna change. Though the point is for there to be many conflicting ideas and I have a way to resolve these issues.

Though I really didnt consider the point of only one stepping down because that just wasnt in the original idea for the plot bunny. Though my point is it won't be an extremely dark more of a neutral fic not to dark but not a huggy super character fic that most are.

8. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

What way? I still think that this would lead to way too much political maneuvering to be feasible as a long term governing solution.

I dunno. Sarutobi retired for Minato, but I doubt that Danzo would be as willing to give up power. Are you planning on rewriting him to such an extent? Or will there be someone else in the second Sandaime's position? That would be really unlikely.

You still haven't addressed the issue of how the Hokages are selected. Choosing one warmonger and one pacifist may be easy if you know their personalities well, but can anyone really guarantee knowledge of a person to the extent that they entrust him/her with such a responsibility? The Hokage would not only be responsible for the village but also for upholding that particular side of ideology, in order to maintain a balance. And again, I am sure that factions in the village exist that would be willing to groom a shinobi from childhood to present the correct image, so as to install someone sympathetic to their own cause. If the Hokage was being chosen purely on merit, and not also on ideology, this would become more difficult.

9. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

So basically you want to write a fic with a politically powerful Danzou, and everything else is the same as canon.

How original.

10. Lion

Really it wouldn't be only considerable of warmonger to peace monger but more of a who would be willing to do things the other wouldn't. Like I can see Orocimaru doing a project that Minato wouldnt simply because it wouldn't fit to his moral spectrum or he wouldn't have thought of it or a situation that Minato would see a way to use seals foor something that Orochimaru wouldn't think of like altering the curse seal in a way that ould maybe improve it but i don't see Minato throwing in the whole pain/mind control aspect.

As for the split decisions it would really come down to a either a council or going to past Hokages to help pick the better ideas from the plans to fill both of the Kages wishes.

On the matter of Danzo stepping down I can see it as more of he works better in the shadows. He wouldnt just do his term as Kage and then sit back. He would still head Root or maybe the entire Anbu. It's just after being in the limelight and always having every little move analyzed by his rivals even closer than before because he was a leader. He would eventually just want to go back to the limelight. Like with the whole helping Hanzo matter. As a current Kage it would be a whole lot harder to just up and leave and declare your villages loyalty like that. But as a ex-kage and current head of a black-ops group he could be away alot longer without notice.

11. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

You'd be better off taking your idea and just pushing forward with it. Go extreme.

Konoha is deeply divided between Sarutobi/Yondaime and Danzou/Orochimaru. Sarutobi/Yondaime are the majority party, and with that, they carry heavy burdens. Their party believes in bloodline supremacy (clans and hierarchies are superior to commoners, immigrants and the poor) and although Yondaime/Sarutobi have lofty ideals, they are weighed down by political mudslinging and scandals.

Danzou/Orochimaru represent the "repressed" minorities. They are extremests at heart. Danzou and Orochimaru are separate factions and are not aligned with each other, though they co-conspire to help break the majority.

During the Kyuubi attack, there is a coup or emergency election.

In the aftermath, Yondaime's status is unknown (maybe he died during the Kyuubi attack, maybe not). Orochimaru or Danzou are Hokage. However, the majority party still exists in Konoha, only, it is much less powerful or is oppressed. Konoha has sweeping reform, either in Danzou's view (a pragmatic military nation) or in Orochimaru's view (a pathological military nation... I guess like Nazi Germany? Dunno).

Cue Naruto. If he wants to change Konoha, he either needs to win the support of the corrupt clans for legal change or forge his own path with a revolution.

If you don't want to do that, good luck. You'll end up writing yourself into a corner trying to explain the political situation in Konoha – explaining how Sarutobi/Danzou can coexist in a single office. At best, you'll bore your readers to death with crazy fantasy politics.

12. Lion

Thats a pretty good idea. I'd add Naruto having lived with Sarutobi and hearing stories of the old Konoha. Though for my idea I'm working on the first scene just need a beta.