1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Naruto Power Levels

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by DrSarcasm, Dec 9, 2012.

1. rusk

rusk First Year

About Kyuubi's yin-chakra half didn't Naruto get that back from that weird scroll/frog thing that was in jiraiya stomach?

2. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That hasn't been used/referenced since its initial appearance.

3. Datakim

Datakim Chief Warlock

No. What follows is a longish rant that hopefully clarifies what happened to the different pieces of Kyuubi.

The scroll-toad was merely the key to the seal on Naruto, and made it possible to manipulate the seal. It could be used to make the seal tighter, looser, or even open the gate holding the Kyuubi altogether. It had no inherent power in it at all beyond its function as a key.

What basically happened in the whole Kyuubi sealing was this:

Minato used the Shiki Fuujin technique on Kyuubi. This summoned the Death God (this is the same technique Sarutobi used to seal away the 1st and 2nd hokages + Orochimarus arms), whose powers Minato used to seal away a portion of Kyuubi.

In this case, Minato used Shiki Fuujin to seal 50% of Kyuubi (the Yin-part) into himself. So in a way, Minato actually became a jinchuuriki of Kyuubi himself here, atleast for a few moments. This loss of half its chakra also caused Kyuubi to shrink in size.

After this, Minato then used Hakke no Fūin Shiki to seal the other half of the Kyuubi (the still free Yang-Kyuubi) into Naruto. This seal was totally different from the Shiki Fuujin seal that involved the Death God (though both seals were likely Uzumaki in origin). Why Minato did not just seal the entire Kyuubi into Naruto has not yet been explained. Maybe it was not possible to seal 100%-Kyuubi into a newborn infant, or maybe Minato had some brilliant plan in mind that required Naruto to get only the Yang-Kyuubi.

At this point, you might say that there were actually two separate jinchuurikis for Kyuubi. Minato was the jinchuuriki of the Yin-Kyuubi, and Naruto was the jinchuuriki of the Yang-Kyuubi. Kyuubi at this point had basically been split in two. Amusingly this could be somewhat compared to the process where the original Juubi was split into 9 fragments by the Sage of the Six Paths. Minato continued that process here by further splitting the strongest fragment (Kyuubi) in two.

Unfortunately, the price of using Shiki Fuujin is that after you use the power of the Death God to seal away your target, the DG then proceeds to eat the person who summoned it (and it also eats what the summoner sealed into himself). Or to put it simply, the Death God ATE Minato, and since Yin-Kyuubi was sealed IN Minato, the DG ate that too. With Minato and Yin-Kyuubi stuck in the Death Gods stomach, that left only one Kyuubi jinchuuriki present in the world. Naruto, who was the host for the Yang-Kyuubi.

In order for Naruto to somehow get access to the other part of Kyuubi, Naruto would have to find a way to somehow summon the Death God in a way that would not result in him being eaten, and then somehow force the DG to "vomit" the Yin-Kyuubi from his stomach. And finally, Naruto would then have to somehow absorb the Yin-Kyuubi and merge it with the "other" Kyuubi inside him. It seems very unlikely that any of this will happen.

Oh, and just for reference, this is the list of people in the stomach of the Death God:

Fourth Hokage Minato (Summoned the Death God during the Kyuubi attack and was eaten as a result)

Yin-Kyuubi (Sealed inside Minato and eaten along with him)

Third Hokage Sarutobi (Summoned the Death God during the chuunin exam invasion. The price of summoning the DG is that you get eaten.)

First Hokage Hashirama (Was brought back to life as an Edo Tensei by Orochimaru and had his soul bound to a sacrifice body. Then had Sarutobi use the power of the Death God to drag that soul out of the Edo Tensei body and seal it inside a Kage Bunshin. The DG then ate both the Kage Bunshin and Hashirama who was sealed in the clone)

Second Hokage Tobirama (Exact same deal as Hashirama. Was brought back as an Edo Tensei, sealed into a clone by DG, and then eaten)

Oh, and as a sidenote, Orochimaru tried to bring back Minato aswell during the chuunin exam (there were three coffins), but since Minatos soul had already been eaten by the Death God at that point, it was beyond the reach of Orochimaru. This is also the reason why we havent seen any of the hokages as Edo Tenseis in the recent war arc. They are all (except Tsunade) in the stomach of the DG and as such cannot be summoned. Kabuto confirms that those souls eaten by DG are beyond reach.

And finally, Sarutobi tried to seal Orochimaru into himself aswell so that Orochimaru too would be eaten by the DG. Unfortunately Sarutobi was too weak by then (probably from sealing the other two hokages and being stabbed), so he could not seal Orochimaru entirely. He was however able to drag Orochimarus "soul arms :awesome :facepalm" out from Orochimaru and then have DG sever them from the rest of Orochimaru. Those soul arms were then sealed into Sarutobi, and Sarutobi and the arms were eaten by the Death God. The Death God then departed since his summoner (Sarutobi) was dead.

4. rusk

rusk First Year

Thanks for the explanation, things now make much more sense.

5. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Kishi say something about the third coffin not necessarily containing the Fourth?

I seem to recall something about him being angry at the anime showing a "4" on the coffin when he didn't intend that, or something.

6. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Most recent explanation was from Kabuto who says that Orochimaru was trying to summon Minato but failed.

7. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

It's been a long time since I've seen that episode of the anime, but I thought that Sarutobi used a jutsu cancel or something to prevent that 4th coffin from rising. At the time I first saw it, I don't think the manga had gotten to revealing much about the 4th, especially that he was actually already sealed in the death god's stomach.

I thought I saw that episode and took it to mean that the 4th wasn't summoned because Sarutobi stopped him from summoning the coffin because fighting the 4th would be suicide for him.

8. Datakim

Datakim Chief Warlock

Well, you should remember that this was all pre-Shippuden days, and much of the canon-lore was still not fully decided. So while I obviously don't know the truth with absolute certainty, I would say that when that scene was originally written, Sarutobi was probably meant to have stopped the 3rd coffin. It was not however made absolutely explicit, leaving it open for a retcon.

However when the recent war-arc started in the manga, Kishi obviously did not want to bring Hashirama or Minato back. Hashirama probably because he has been hyped to the point where having anyone fight that guy would be silly, and Minato because we had just recently had a dead-Minato scene inside Narutos head and having an edo!Minato would just be repeating things (not to mention also being too powerfull, just like Hashirama).

So Kishi (likely) retconned things so that things eaten by the Death God cannot be brought back.

You can see the scene where this is explained here:

http://www.mangapanda.com/naruto/520/10
    Here Kabuto explains that the "pure" world is the afterlife, and the "impure" world is the real world. And Edo Tensei summons a soul from the pure world into the impute world.

http://www.mangapanda.com/naruto/520/11
    Here Kabuto explains that this means that if the soul of the target is NOT in the afterlife or "pure world", such as if it has been sealed somewhere else, then the soul cannot be summoned.

He then explicitly states that Orochimaru tried to summon Minato, but failed because Minatos soul is not in the afterlife but rather in the stomach of the Death God. Kabuto then further explains that Sarutobi sealed both his own soul, and the souls of 1st and 2nd hokage into the DG's stomach too, meaning that none of the first four hokages can be summoned with Edo Tensei.

This part is speculation, but I have read theories that the scroll Suigetsu found (and brought to Sasuke) might involve this somehow. That maybe its a modification on ET that summons souls not from the "pure world", but from the stomach of the DG. Orochimaru would have been highly motivated to try to find a way to summon things from DG's stomach considering the thing ate his soul-arms (that always sounds so crazy :p).

It would also potentially bring the other part of Kyuubi back into play, and solve the problem (I atleast have) with the hokages. Being in the stomach of the DG has been implied to be a pretty bad place to be in.

I mean take Minato for example. He was the hero who saved Konoha, and as a reward he gets to spend an eternity being digested and never gets the chance to go to the true afterlife to be with his wife Kushina and (eventually) his son Naruto. That kinda sucks. I have often wondered if that means that before the series ends, the souls imprisoned in DG's stomach will somehow be released so they can go to the proper Narutoworld-afterlife. Heck, maybe the "people who know everything" that Sasuke is looking for will end up being the hokages that Orochimaru will somehow summon. Sasuke would get answers from the hokages, and the hokages would then be allowed to move on to the true afterlife.

And like I said, this could potentially bring the other version of Kyuubi back into play too. We know that eventually there will be a Naruto vs Sasuke battle. But right now, BM!Naruto seems way too powerfull for Sasuke to face in battle. But if the scroll Sasuke has can truly summon things from the DG's stomach, then he could bring out not just the four hokages(and one pair of arms), but also the other part of Kyuubi. We know from Madara, that EMS eyes can be used to totally mind-control a Kyuubi that is not in a jinchuuriki, and it just so happens that Sasuke has such a pair of eyes. Maybe the Yin-Kyuubi will end up being Sasukes weapon against BM!Naruto.