1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

National Novel Writing Month - NaNoWriMo 2015

Discussion in 'Original Fiction Discussion' started by Joe, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    I had a good overnight haul and put myself just north of 11k for the month. Looking pretty decent, too, the story. I think because this one has been stewing for a time (nearly 2 years) the words are coming onto the page real nice and easy.

2. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Funy that. I've had an idea brewing for four or five years. Have close to 60k in notes and background. Yet to put a solid word down. :/

3. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    1309 words today, for a total of 7843.

4. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

Sitting at about 9,000 since the start of this month. Going on an adding spree tomorrow for solidarity.

Been playing catch up since day three unfortunately. There're only so many hours in the day. Blegh.

5. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

Exams end next week, afterwards definitely giving it a tilt, aiming for 40-50k words.

As for what I'm working on, original piece I started a few months ago which diverged from being written down to almost entirely pieced together inside my head, just got to get the words on the proverbial page now.

My Works a Dark Fantasy, chronicling the story of a group of people on their way to find The Abyss, the end of the world, the gateway to god where if they make it their one wish will be granted.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  6. not here right now

not here right now Squib

Just hit 5k, don't have much else to do for the rest of the day so I'm hoping to have gotten ahead somewhat by the evening.

7. sage1000

sage1000 Fourth Year

Currently at 8.7k. Will try to participate in tomorrow doubleup, that is double your current daily word count so I can finally catch up to the day I missed.

8. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I admire you guys.

The best part of this so far is seeing that Brandon Sanderson is participating and going haaaard at Stormlight 3.

9. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Sanderson writes like it's NaNoWriMo every month of the year.

10. Joe

High Score:
    He's the writer I try to emulate. He treats it as a full-time job, and benefits from that discipline. His word count usually hovers between 2500-3000 daily, which is not that much given the length of something like Stormlight, but he's consistent.

2-3k a day come hell or high water. That puts him at least at 60k, often closer to 100k a month. The man is a demon.

11. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

I'm at 9.5k. Couldn't get anything done yesterday on account of being drunk, and couldn't get anything done today on account of being fiercely hungover. Tomorrow, though... It's showtime.

12. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

Finished one exam off yesterday and crunched through an assignment all night til I submitted it 4 hours ago, back into it and got 900 words down for today so far, might try and push 1.5 before I pass out at midnight.

Out of curiosity, I've seen bad habits from writing fanfics brought up around DLP for a while and just wondering what they were/could be?

13. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Was waiting for my cousin yesterday in the restaurant she manages, whom I'm visiting for the weekend, and was bored enough to pump out around 2000 words of an original short story. I should try to keep this up.

14. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    904 today, for a total of 8747. I've missed a couple of days over the weekend due to friends being over, so I'm behind even on my personal target, never mind the 50k thing (which I have little chance of getting even at this early stage). Hey ho. Keep plugging away.

15. redlibertyx

redlibertyx Professor

I only did 504 today, which was far below what I would like to have done. Granted I spent like six hours feeling incredibly sick to my stomach so that's probably why. I think it was just something I ate, since I'm feeling a bit better now and hopefully it won't affect tomorrow's writing.

I'm at 3000 words below the count I want to be at but I think that's something I can catch up to given some better time management this upcoming week.

16. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just broke 10k total.

I'm writing the scenes I want to write (because everything is... I guess the proper term at this point is storyboarded?).

The first 5-6k words were so fucking difficult. Literally moving at the pace of 400-500 words an hour. It's gotten easier and easier, which is a good sign. Was able to crank out my last ~3-4k words in a total of less than 3 hours.

I think it'll get faster still as the groundwork of the tone is set. Still deathly afraid I'll fuck it all up in the way fanfiction's never even brought to my mind, but I'm damn proud of the plot/world I have right now.

My only complaint is that the meaningful scenes of the story are really hard to write except between 1:30 and 5 in the morning, when it's really deep night. Sounds retarded, but writing's always been super emotional for me, so it's the sort of thing I expected from myself tbh.

17. Lungs

High Score:
    Broke 25k.

Halfway, ayyyy.

18. Joe

High Score:
    I'm at about 17k for the month - ideally I'd like to be at 25k by now, but so be it. Going to push hard next few days. Weekend of writing.

19. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

Same here.

Sitting at 16k. Still behind, but catching up slowly. I predict a lot of coffee and sub-dermal twitching in my immediate future.

20. Lungs

High Score:
    Closing in on 40k now.

Chooo choooo, the wordcount train stops for no one.