1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Need newbie recs

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Anarchy, Dec 8, 2014.

1. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    But only if he's down with comedy and gags. I love Trigun... but it does not take itself seriously.

At all.

Ever.

[​IMG]

2. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I agree. I like the plot summary and the look of it, so I think this is one I will definitely get. Getting a second anime series isn't out of the question though.

3. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ghost in the Shell and Darker than Black would be nice complements. Not in the same genre, but they have the same mature feel.

Very probable he's seen Ghost though, as it used to air frequently on Adult Swim.

4. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

Regarding Trigun: And that's the way, uh huh uh huh, I like it.

Also reccing: Older Gundamn such as Mobile Suit Gundam Wing and Mobile Fighter G Gundam also in there. If he likes it and gets up to speed, reccing Last Waltz and Char's Counterattack.

5. AlbusPHolmes

AlbusPHolmes The Alchemist

I recommend Death Note as well (uber-intelligent teen finds book that brings death anyone whose name is written in it, and in his zealous quest to rid the world of evildoers, is pitted against the world's top detective who does by the name L - think an even more eccentric and weird Sherlock Holmes). The Fate series (Zero, and Stay Night/Ultimate Blade Works which is currently airing) is incredible, as is Fullmetal Alchemist (which he'll probably enjoy even more if he's a teenager).

My all time favorite anime though is probably Samurai X - I watched it when I was a kid around 5, 6, 7ish years old, and rewatched it a couple years ago - it aged incredibly well, just as great as I remembered it being).

Other recs: Code Geass, Hellsing Ultimate, Sword Art Online (the sheer tangible despair/emotion at the start is incredible, or maybe I'm just that incredibly claustrophobic). Young Justice is not an anime, but if he's in action cartoons there's none other I recommend highly. I'll never forgive CN for canceling it and replacing it with the scores of substandard toons that failed to last.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  6. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

How much of a time investment is your brother willing to put into this? That's probably the most important question since not that many folks are willing to watch 12+ hours of anime unless they are really into it.

If he doesn't want to spend too much time to get his feet wet, I strongly recommend movies and short OVA's. Stuff like Akira, Macross Plus, Riding Bean, Ghost in the Shell, Patlabor, Giant Robo, and movies directed by Hayao Miyazaki, Satoshi Kon, and Isao Takahata. I'd also recommend compilation movies like Animatrix and Memories.

For longer stuff, if that's what he wants to dive into, you already have a good list of recs. The only one I'd strongly recommend would be Baccano just because you could sell it to him as "Snatch: the Anime".

7. Infidel

Infidel Auror

'Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood' is a must watch.