1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

New and Almost Recommended Harry Potter Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Dark Minion, Sep 20, 2014.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I suspect it's the fact that he can't write properly that makes people think he's twelve. I know I do.

2. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It's readable. It has an interesting style with interesting themes, but it takes a while for things to happen, and even then it's like the plot is stuck in slow mode. There things I don't like though.

Even after Tom makes his own body and adopts Harry, he often possesses him during Potions and Defense Against the Dark Arts class, so it's more like this story is only 1/4 of Harry's perspective. It doesn't help there's a lot of Hermione's POV in this, and while she kinda knows that there's two Harrys, she primarily interacts with Tom-through-Harry. It feels like Harry's been side-lined in his own story.

It's hard to tell Harry and Tom's dialogue apart when the story is in someone else's POV. It makes sense because it's implied Harry and Tom are merging identities or souls, but I don't like that aspect at all.
    So, yeah, awesome description but this story isn't exactly to my taste. 3.5 / 5.

3. gbbz

gbbz Professor

I was in a LOTR mood recently and remembered this fic.
    Marbles
    It is different than many LOTR crossovers, but similar in other areas. It has that annoying, Harry adopted by elfs approach, but drops it later. I found the worldbuilding to be extremely engaging, even some of the infuriating family dynamics in this fic are easy to swallow.

What makes it interesting is that it is very consistent and well thought out. Harry does not become a great wizard of mythical powers, his eyesight does not magically improve (and since he doesn't have access to glasses he sees rather poorly), he is not a main player in the upcoming War of the Ring, all that made this fic very refreshing. I like original ideas. Also, the children book quality to it can only be counted as a plus.

Sadly, it has been some time since the last update, though not too long. Maybe the author will make at least one chapter more.

4. Bentgame

Bentgame First Year

Come Once Again and Love Me
    Summary:Severus wakes up in the afterlife expecting something rather different than being almost-seventeen again. Seriously, what kind of game is this? But wait - Lily's come back, too - from 1981? Perhaps it's a second chance... but to do what? SS/LE

Title's cheesy, but the story is actually decent. It's a unique twist on the old Snape goes back in time cliche, sending both Lily and Snape back from the times of their deaths. It gets bonus points for sending him back after the mudblood incident. Most importantly, the story preserves Snape's personality. He's a bitter, petty asshole who's only ever loved one person. I'd give it a 3/5. It's got it's problems, but it's well written and a good time waster.

5. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

What is it lately with people bringing up Snape-centric fics? Even worse, fics where he gets paired off, and to make it worse, with Lily. What is wrong with you people?

6. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

I dunno... People like different things?

That story sucks, though.

7. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

Lol Chill.
    You've got to realize people are not as emotionally vested in characters as you seem to be.
    If they want to read stories that have believable character development for some of the, err, shady characters of fandoms, then that is their prerogative.
    That is why it is recommended here.
    I'm not sure if you remember, but AngelOfDreams010101 wrote Snape/Lily. In fact I'm pretty sure he's still a fan of realistically written ones even now.

The Library on the other hand is a representative of DLP's tastes as a forum.
    So any recommendations of this nature promptly get recycled there.

8. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

I'd equate it with the strange gestalt that makes Hollywood put out two movies about Wyatt Earp or three movies about a meteor threatening life on Earth or four movies about undersea monsters in the same summer.

It's what's prominent at the moment. Next month: 'Pettigrew adopts Luna' fics.

9. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I would read that.

10. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Pettigrew adopting Luna? The hell?

Well, while we're discussing... uh, things like that.

I've never seen a fic where Luna finally snaps under the bullying, kills Cho and her tormentors, and goes on the run.

Whether she abducts Harry because he's a witness, and she's panicking like a headless chicken and the scared little girl she actually is, is just a bonus point.

Then again, this is the AR thread, not the Plot Bunny.

-

The problem with Snape/Lily is that he's a piece of shit who indirectly got her and her husband (and almost their son) killed: why would she want to date, or even marry, the scumbag who almost had her entire family killed?

11. bakkasama

bakkasama Seventh Year

Why would she abduct Harry? It could be entirely centered around Luna and show us the magical world from her point of view. Like, the fic is only her on the run traveling around Europe, showing the different magical cultures and world building but seen from a skewed perspective in which you don't know if things are really that way or just how Luna understood them.

12. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Because it's HARRY.

13. gbbz

gbbz Professor

She needs him to ravish her, repeatedly.

14. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

It's Harry. 'nuff said.

As time goes on as her prisoner (she panicked, and doesn't know what to do), a terribly upset Luna eventually confides in him what was happening to her; Harry, bitter at being abducted at first (and, you know, being tied up and held around a campfire), actually begins to feel sorry for her.

Part Stockholm/part "Hero Complex" as they connect.

He slowly gains her trust with the aim of escaping, but when it comes down to it... he finds himself unwilling, and chooses to help her.

Bleh, I dunno.

15. Baradine

Baradine Seventh Year

And then they bone, right?

16. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Uh, that's up to the person who wants to do anything like that, I guess? Stockholm Syndrome sort of fucks people up, so if she begins to cling to him in desperation and he out of a White Knight complex, it's a trainwreck that would be interesting to read.

17. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Anyways... I found a story. It's probably been posted already, but w/e.

Nymphadora's Beau
    By: erbkaiser
    In the summer prior to fifth year, Andromeda Tonks finds out her daughter Nymphadora has set her sights on Remus Lupin. She's not happy with this, and tricks Tonks into going for Harry Potter instead. What starts out as a way to "get back" at her parents, turns into an uncommon romance... Canon until the start of Book 5 'Order of the Phoenix', mild lemons.
    Rated: Fiction M - English - Romance/Friendship - [Harry P., N. Tonks] Hermione G. - Chapters: 21 - Words: 76,758 - Reviews: 1,408 - Favs: 2,438 - Follows: 3,282 - Updated: Sep 19 - Published: Apr 9 - id: 10256543

It's more of a humor/crack fic than anything else. It takes a lot of the common tropes, and does a parody of it, but manages to toe the line (in my opinion) and not go overboard in it. It's pretty much exactly my type of humor, in the exact right dose, and it's not meant to be taken too seriously. I'd rate it greater than a 4/5, but knowing how varied DLP's tastes are, I opted to put it here instead of for review.

18. cowofdoom

cowofdoom Squib

Interesting portrayal of Azkaban, a deeply dysfunctional father-son relationship for James and Harry and some nice mythology ties.
    That's the good part.
    The bad part: announced HP/LV in the sequels, annotations in the middle of the story, wand-less magic (albeit better handled then some other stories), Lily is a secret Pureblood, etc. etc.

19. Knoq

Knoq Temporarily Banhammered

As part of that of the previous thread, I do in fact seriously almost want to reccommend some of them.

for the nc-17 board. http://archiveofourown.org/series/102383 Hermione/Pansy S&M. It's....actually kinda hot.

For the Humor-Dumblepot-
    http://archiveofourown.org/works/11...ts=true&view_full_work=false#comment_15184737

And of course 2 and 3 of those, of which I think Eternal Return to actually be pretty good.
    I have never seen a decently done fic of any possible bully victim snapping and doing something crazy that leaves permanent, unavoidable marks. Like say, a muggleborn somehow ending up in Slytherin, and sometime in 4th-5th year just snaps, goes into the Common Room and casts Fiendfyre or some other example of "School Killing Spree at Hogwarts."

I actually want to see one done like that and then explore the potential effects on society, like maybe Purebloods, once they realize they can't have their way and expel the muggleborns and halfbloods, they just withdraw and start their own school, and depending on the timing, what effect this has on the war with Voldemort.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  20. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

That sounds rather terrible. Why would James consent to raising another man's son? Why would Lily cheat on him in the first place? Why would you recommend something that says "It is my intention that beginning in the second sequel to this story, a romance between Harry and young Tom Riddle will be a major plot element" in the very first chapter before the story even begins?

Not open for further replies.