1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

New and Almost Recommended Harry Potter Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Dark Minion, Sep 20, 2014.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Then post it in the Review Board.

I don't want to see any post in here that does not explain why the story is here, and not in the Review Board.

2. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I re posted this story in the proper location yesterday.

3. Alexeyy

Alexeyy Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Foxes Fate by Unruly Marmite
    Voldemort was dead, but his rule and his ideals lived on. The Resistance had failed, their Saviour had fallen, and Hermione Granger went back in time to fix things. Unfortunately someone else tagged along for the ride.
    Rated: M - Harry P., Hermione G. - Chapters: 9 - Words: 51,450 - Reviews: 76 - Favs: 91 - Follows: 205 - Updated: Feb 18 - Published: Jul 20, 2015 - id: 11392492

Adventure. POV is centered on Harry or else Hermione. The time travel type of story, where the first chapter was actually interesting to read. It's pretty short so far, so giving away descriptions would just steal the fun you'd have.

4. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  5. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    Hey all. First post, so hopefully i'm not screwing this up posting where I shouldn't be.

I thought Repercussions (of a one night stand) located here https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9625546/1/Repercussions-of-a-one-night-stand might be a good addition to this list.

It's one of those "harry finds out he has different parents" fics. A crossover with supernatural.

I put it as a 'fun' guilty pleasure type read. I wouldn't consider it library worthy, based on what i've seen on these forums. This is due to the slow update rate and the fact that the plot hasn't really moved forward much. Also since the premise is a bit cliche.

That said, there are some amusing character interactions and I have to admit i simply enjoyed it as a light entertaining read.

6. Catman

Catman DA Member

I'm almost done with the first chapter, and I will say that the technical quality of the writing is good. Should I familiarize myself with Supernatural? I can follow it for the most part, but I am definitely getting the vibe I should be understanding more than I am.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  7. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Whatever that thing is in the crossover, it's not Harry.

8. soczab

soczab Professor

High Score:
    I've actually never seen the supernatural, but I do know the rough general plot just from hearing people talk about it over the years. I was able to follow the supernatural side with no issues.

9. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

Hurt/Comfort... Okay, fine, whatever. It doesn't necessarily mean it'll be bad. James isn't Harry's real father? Tends to be shit, but isn't inherently a horrible idea. Mute!Harry, as a result of trauma? ... This fic is really asking for me to hate it.

Oh, and it's basically just "Supernatural only Harry's there as well". Which is... meh... but Harry's kind of useless. Like, completely. I'm on chapter seven, and he hasn't cast a single spell yet. The explanation being that he's mute, and therefore can't cast any spells at all. He also, for some reason, hasn't bothered to use his cloak, despite it being noted that he still has it.

Because God forbid letting Harry use magic - that might derail the Supernatural plot, and we wouldn't want that to happen. Things must happen exactly the same, with only cosmetic alterations - otherwise it won't be interesting.

Overall, the fic's not exactly my cup of tea.

Edit: Alright, just read chapter nine. Story still isn't that good, but things are actually moving - and Harry has finally used magic. Also, he's started talking again which, honestly, makes the story much more bearable.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  10. Stan

Stan Order Member

Has there really been nothing rec'd here in over a month and a half? Anyway, here's a bunch of Ron centric stories.

Rise of the Weasley Famiglia: Ron never wanted to be a crime boss. Pity he was so good at it. Even if he did spend most of his time worrying about what would happen when his mother found out.

Only one chapter till now, but even if it never updates again it stands on its own as a oneshot. Good stuff.

There and Back Again: Ron was able to save Fred's life during the Battle of Hogwarts at the price of his own. When he was given a choice to return to the past, Ron picks the door to go back and save as much lives as he could. Nobody said it would be easy, especially for a jaded 17 year old war veteran, but by Merlin, Ronald Bilius Weasley will try. *A Ron-centric time travel fic*

Just starting up, and not the best written thing in the world, but Ron Time-travel fics are rare enough that it deserves a mention, I think.

Gryffindor Colors: The reasoning of pureblood fanatics is incomprehensible to anyone halfway normal, and even Harry Potter is close enough to ordinary to find himself at a loss for how on earth Narcissa Malfoy so suddenly became Mrs. Ronald Weasley. [crackship, crackfic, crack premise; Roncissa, lemon-scented]

The first couple of chapters were mildly amusing, but with the fic taking a serious turn the previous chapter, I don't like it nearly as much. Still, I find Hermione's befuddled jealousy hilarious and am putting the story here for that alone.

11. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

That was brilliant. A really unique voice to it, a great premise, and executed so well. You're right - I'd want that in the library if it was just a oneshot.

12. Pure Infinity

I want to talk about a story I read recently. It's probably the best piece of fanfiction I've ever encountered, in that it is the absolute worst piece of fanfiction I've ever encountered.

Imagine that a story managed to do everything wrong. Everything. Not in the way that My Immortal did everything wrong - but rather telling the story in the worst possible way. Messing up at every beat of the story. Doing nothing at all right, aside from being basically readable. That's this story.

The Chaos of the Potters by DalkonCledwin
    This is the tale of how Ginevra Weasley is not who she seems to be. Watch as she reconnects with her long lost loved one, and the two of them forge a bond of family in the face of adversity. Harry/Harem, Smart/Cunning/Harry, Smart/Cunning/Ginny, Powerful/Harry, Powerful/Harem. (This is one of Two Stories that I will be Focusing on for now).
    Rated: Fiction M - English - Romance/Adventure - [Ginny W., Harry P., Pansy P., Daphne G.] - Chapters: 3 - Words: 10,897 - Reviews: 51 - Favs: 230 - Follows: 367 - Updated: Jun 20 - Published: Jun 6 - id: 11985497

I want to walk you through the series of events that occurred in this story. I'll shove it in spoilers if you want to experience it yourself first.

- Ginny wakes up in the Chamber of Secrets.
    - She reveals to Harry that -twist- she's actually his little sister.
    - Harry believes her, and pulls her into a hug, before telling her "Don't ever leave me!"
    - Ginny then reveals that -twist- she's also Harry's betroathed.
    - Harry questions this at first, but quickly accepts it because, in Ginny's words, "Honestly, weirder things have happened in this society..."
    - Ginny then reveals that all the Weasleys, aside from Fred and George of course, are secretly teh evils.
    - "Huh?" Harry asked, as did I.
    - Ginny starts talking about the Necronomicon, and Harry tells her it's not actually magical.
    - The Lady of Hogwarts, Al Azif, then appears, and lodges a formal complaint with the two of them, saying that the Necronomicon is really real, and that the muggle ones are just fake.
    - Harry starts lecturying Ginny about M.C. Escher, and tells her he's chalking up the fact she doesn't know about him to her being an eleven year old. Seriously.
    - Lady Hogwarts then reveals that Harry, due to killing Voldemort three times, has now inherited all of his titles, his family name, and all of his Wizarding assets.
    - "Huh?" Harry asked dumbfounded.
    - Lady Hogwarts disappears, Harry comments on how bizarre that was (as if everything else wasn't), and Ginny continues her explanation.
    - Ginny talks about how she was never mistreated as the Weasleys, even though they're teh evils, and asks Harry how he thinks she feels knowing "that I grew up in what was practically the lap of luxury compared to what you probably went through?"
    - She breaks out into tears.
    - Harry asks her to be his girlfriend.
    - Out of nowhere, Harry reveals that he's friends with Pansy Parkinson, that she's not actually a bad person, and that they attended the same primary school.
    - Ginny then reveals that Harry's also betroathed to Luna.
    - Ginny then asks if Harry has had "the talk", and Harry tells the story of how he received his sexual education from Snape.
    - Ginny then tells Harry he needs to begin his training as a prankster, because he's the son of a Marauder
    - Harry is not confused at all, as apparently he already knew this.
    - They then leave the Chamber, and it's revealed Ronhasacrushonginnybutwhatever.
    AND THAT'S ONLY THE FIRST CHAPTER

I haven't yet read the next two chapters, but I imagine it's just as majestic as the first. It's like... The Room or Batman and Robin in the form of a Harry Potter fanfiction. I enjoyed it so much I really wanted to share it. It's so bad it's good.

5/5, definitely doesn't belong in the library.

13. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

So, out of all the bullet points, is it odd that I find
    to be the most serious offender?

14. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Chief Warlock

Considering Harry is 12 at the time, Snape would be a serious offender who shouldn't be anywhere near a school.

15. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Having read the first chapter, that isn't as bad as you think. Honestly, the story reads like a MegaMatt one - a vague plot hung over a harem.

Pansy finds out that Harry never had sex ed, so pushes him into Snape's office, and requests that he deal with it. Given that Snape is a male head of house, it isn't a completely unreasonable request (although Flitwick would have maybe been a better choice).

The fact that Harry went to the same school as Pansy (who had sex ed), and we (or I, at both primary schools I went to, at least) have some sex ed (the bare bones mechanics, STDs are bad, basic biology) before the age of 11 in the UK is a forgivable offence, but still... It seems like it was added for the 'comedic' line about brain bleach, and probably for a 'funny' scene where it turns out Snape lied.

I won't lie, it's a pretty terrible story. Having read the first chapter it seems more like someone moving on from writing on a tumblrfangirl blog. The prose is a bit purple, the author is stuffing in several silly fandom tropes, and it will probably head towards magical realm territory... But their writing is definitely not the worst I've ever seen.

16. Pure Infinity

Don't you see? All of this is what makes it great. It's technically fine - not great, but not completely terrible. The dialogue feels stilted, but whatever.

What makes it hilariously bad - and therefore a complete masterpiece - is it's presentation. The way each section of the scene is paced, how it flows. Reveal after reveal is regurgitated, and Harry is just along for the ride. Things happen, and we're just supposed to accept it as a normal progression of events. It's like a series of weird ideas and fanfiction clichés were packed together in just the right way, so as to produce the most hilarity. It's so brilliant I can't tell if it was meant to be a parody or not.

Anyway, I read the other two chapters. The first chapter remains the best, but they're pretty amazing as well.

17. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

I stumbled onto a story called Dragon Lily (originally written by Werewolf Warrior) and it's totally different than a lot of fan fiction that I have encountered. Despite being rated M or NC-17 it is not just PWP fic rather having it's own plot and characters that have motivations of their own. Plus, it's not a Harry who just WTFpwns but rather has to learn the harsh lessons.

It features two of my favorite pairings (Harry/Lily and Harry/Narcissa) so maybe I'm totally biased and it may not be good at all. Nevertheless, I enjoyed reading it and I thought it maybe worth sharing especially there is very little offered in the fandom for Hily or Harry/Narcissa fans.

Title - Dragons's Lily
    Link - https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11517235/1/Dragon-Lily
    Original Author - Werewolf Warrior (he deleted his works)
    Pairing - Harry/Narcissa and Harry/Lily
    Summary - Harry Potter finds himself in the middle of a raging war - caught between two very ambitious women and two warring sides. The very secrets of Magic are coming undone at the seams....and Harry finds himself right in the middle of it all.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  18. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Someone on DLP said it was because someone in his family stumbled across his profile and recognized him.

Must have been fucking hilarious, trying to explain about writing incest and cuckold smut.

I'm honestly surprised the author didn't just kill himself.

19. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Hooooooooly shit no. I'm not that guy or even someone who's seen his works and I feel like killing myself.

How do you even get caught that way anyway, did he write a bio in his profile or something.

20. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I bet he didn't log out.

Not open for further replies.