1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

New and Almost Recommended Harry Potter Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Dark Minion, Sep 20, 2014.

Not open for further replies.
  1. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

I also found the first part of Renegade to be pretty off and dropped it initially, but I seriously suggest you stick with it. Second half is some of the best stuff in fanfiction.

Death before Dishonor is surprisingly great.

2. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

Got a response from the author of "Death Before Dishonor" in regards to him/her posting here in WBA. Turns out they're a member here and lurk from time to time and may post in WBA.

3. Knoq

Knoq Temporarily Banhammered

Yeah tried that. got about 5 chapters in, wanted to smack people in the face.

4. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

"Death Before Dishonor" just updated with a 7k chapter and it looks like the first chapter wasn't a fluke.

5. KGB

KGB Headmaster

I like the way Harry and the gang is trying to stay the hell away from Voldemort and all that rot. It opens up so many interesting ways the story can go.

Will definitely be keeping an eye on this one.

6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    DBD has a lot of promise, but the author needs to edit some more or get a beta. Hopefully we'll see the story in WbA. I prefer the DLP background to FFnet's blinding white.

edit: If the fic keeps going how it started and the author gets a beta, it'll be prime Library material.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  7. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm sure you can find a Greasemonkey script that changes FF.net's background colour.

8. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

You don't even need a script for that.

[​IMG]

9. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Almost didn't click on "Death Before Dishonour" after sirius009's "broken homes" description, expecting an angst-fest with absurd levels of abuse.

Anyone else feeling the same hesitation: it's not like that at all. Definitely recommend giving it a try. My review:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  11. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I tried the first chapter of Death Before Dishonor and, while it had original ideas, the author can’t punctuate dialogue to save their life. They also try their very best to use any dialogue tag other than said. It’s extremely annoying.

I think I'll wait until the author posts the story in WBA and fixes their grammar before giving it a retry.

12. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Just to offer a counter point.

I didn't get that at all. While there might be some mistakes, they are in no way severe enough to interfere with enjoyment of the story.

13. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

I love the recent influx of NBWL-Slytherin-Harry stories. Might just be my favourite genre currently. And I've been always arguing for starting rewrites not at first year, but at the point where you really have a story to tell, dropping the reader in media res, so Death Before Dishonour is doing a lot of things right.

The beta thing is an issue, though. There are certainly worse stories out there, but first of all, that shouldn't be the standard, and then it also gets confusing, because he sometimes seems to miss words that would give the sentence a completely different meaning.

Well, either way it's too early to tell where this will go, there is hardly any plot yet, and re: world building, why the first chapter was titled 'Pureblood Traditions' I'm not quite sure, because there weren't any that I could see -- so far it's completely Canon -- but potential is there. Nice find, sirius009.

14. Syno

Syno First Year

Maybe the chapter is titled 'Pureblood Traditions' because they're young men seeking their fortune in not so legal (business) adventures? Just not the way their parents did.

15. IBG

IBG Seventh Year

recent influx? Can we get some almost-recommendations?

I haven't seen very many aside from DBD and the genre is definitely some fresh air.

16. ScottPress

High Score:
    I guess an update for OTWTG and DBD are enough to be considered an influx of good stuff, considering the crap the fandom usually produces. :rolleyes:

17. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Eh? It was all recommended here. I cbf to dig it up, but there was this story set in fifth year with the same premise, and I'm sure I read one or two more. The Malachite series probably counts as well, even though it's not recently published.

Conversely, OTWTG has Harry as the BWL, so that doesn't fit.

18. Stan

Stan Order Member

There is "Just Another Orphan" by ValwithV. Decent story thus far. The author has indicated that he wants to take Harry down the Death Eater route, so the idea is relatively original. I don't know any other stories though, unless you count control from a couple of years back.

There are a few BWL!Slytherin! Harry stories that were recently updated though. On the Way to Greatness, Hogwarts Battle School and Out of the Depths are all good Slytherin Harry stories. Lily and the Art of Being Sisyphus feaures a Slytherin!fem! Harry and is pretty good as well.

19. ScottPress

High Score:
    Huh. Didn't know, didn't read it.

Don't shoot.

20. VanRopen

VanRopen Headmaster

I actually haven't either. I read the first two-three years way back when, thought it was alright, but it has been sitting in my backlog forever.

Really should get around to that if the recent years are as good as people say.

Not open for further replies.