1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

New and Almost Recommended Harry Potter Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Dark Minion, Sep 20, 2014.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Holly Potter and the Witching World reviews
    All Holly Potter wanted was to know was what strange and mysterious secret was hidden in that cupboard under the stairs, the cupboard which her aunt and uncle never let her go near... and what did it all have to do with "those lesbian freaks" Aunt Petunia would complain about in hushed tones? (Total AU, in which 90% of the magical world is female.)
    Harry Potter - Rated: M - English - Fantasy - Chapters: 1 - Words: 4,559 - Reviews: 3 - Favs: 11 - Follows: 18 - Published: 17h ago - Harry P., Ron W., Albus D., OC

Only one chapter so far. It's an interesting concept but I think the story will be hard to pull off.

A few things made me think it might stray into harem territory but the author's profile seems to suggest it will end up femslash instead. Either way it might be too AU for people's tastes.

2. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:

There are six on AO3 - http://archiveofourown.org/works/12861492

3. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  4. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    I assumed that you and other people interested in the fic may want to read up to current chapter and not wait to crosspost to catch up. Clearly, you prefer to be behind, so I was at least half wrong.

5. Villanelle

Villanelle Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Just caught up with everything that's out at the minute.

The writing got a bit better during book 1, but it's still a lot of tell v/s show. It's actually better written than PoS (which isn't saying much), and while it still has these big blocks of factoids, it's not just Harry who gets to monologue. The author also confuses Jules and James a few times, but how can he not, they're basically the same character. The whole thing feels less heavy handed than PoS and other neglected twin stories, which is refreshing. I liked that Hermione got knocked off her high horse. Almost makes her presence in the 2nd book bearable.

The similarities with PoS stopped a bit as we got into 2nd year. There certainly wasn't a competent!Lockhart.

In spite of Harry's limited control of wandless magic, it's not a super!Harry story and he still struggles a lot with grasping new concepts and putting into practice. He makes mistakes and isn't omnipotent, which is a common theme in these stories. I might be wrong, but it appears that Jules is the actual BWL. Harry doesn't have a scar.

Dumbledore is basically his canon self, but in here, Harry and most of his friends view him as GreaterGood/Manipulative!Dumbledore. It's not in particularly poor taste, in that it isn't overly exaggerated. And in this story, I can actually buy James being that much of a dick. I actually know people like that in real life.

All in all, this is a decent story, as far as these types go. Compared to the fandom as a whole, it doesn't really stand out, but I'm a sucker for Slytherin stories and I really seem to have run out of just about everything in the genre that's a decent length. Not library worthy, but maybe Almost Recommended. I had a lot of fun reading it. About on par with Unsung Hero and The Malachite Series, though perhaps less dramatic.

6. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

As of the latest chapter posted a few days ago, I am now the beta reader for this story.

Aside from grammar and spelling issues, I've been focusing on making the writer show instead of tell (less passive verbs for the win), and give each character a personality/be a little less bland. I do think I've had quite a bit of success so far, as chapter 12 does seem a little more lively.

If the author keeps this up, in a chapter or two I'm going to put the story up for review. I'm hoping they will let me do some basic editing of the previous chapters first. Misspellings of Slytherin hurt me so.

Here's the link to the latest chapter if anyone is interested: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12417372/12/Old-Blood

If anyone has any suggestions, please leave a review. They are actively trying to improve their writing and english skills. Haven't convinced them to post in DLP yet.

7. jjack1003

jjack1003 Second Year

The Unbreakable Vow

By: Ash Darklighter
    Strange lights are seen across a deserted country lane. The wizarding world is calling him home.
    Rated: Fiction T - English - Drama/Romance - Harry P., Ginny W. - Chapters: 37 - Words: 264,559 - Reviews: 1,728 - Favs: 1,826 - Follows: 2,019 - Updated: Feb 24, 2013 - Published: Aug 5, 2007

Had a conversation with a friend regarding fanfiction in general today and the conversation lead to stories where Harry left the Wizarding World with Ginny instead of by himself. It reminded me of this story that has clearly been abandoned but was on my favorites on fanfiction.net for a long time. It gave me a reason to log on to my ff.net after a while.

I personally think it is 4/5 but what do I know

8. TheLazyReader

TheLazyReader Groundskeeper

I love the summary. Don't make me read it just to break my heart.

9. ibskib

ibskib Second Year

The summary of The Unbreakable Vow is definitely better than the story.
    I just read through the first seven chapters:
    On a technical level it's decent, I noticed very few errors, but the dialogue is pretty cringeworthy at times, which drags down the story, along with several cliches. The two things sticking out the most are them having magical cores, and a forced marriage contract.

10. jjack1003

jjack1003 Second Year

The magical contract is between Ginny and Draco as opposed to Harry and Ginny which is usually the case.

Contrary to most people, I actually don't mind the Harry/Ginny pairing and I like how the deal with getting out of the contract later in the story. The magical cores being compared to a battery is pretty cliché, I agree, but the time when I first started reading the story, it was relatively okay-ish idea, and I especially liked how the author dealt with it.

11. Snapdragon

Snapdragon Banned

It's an AU story. I thought it was always a decent read but it's not material which fits into the DLP profile.

12. ibskib

ibskib Second Year

forced contracts are a variation of the trope. I honestly haven't seen Harry and Ginny in marriage contracts all that much, though it's not something I search for.
    When I come across it, it's usually a forced contract dealing with a pairing I would consider more objectionable, such as Draco or Snape that the author tries to romanticize, pairing them up with Hermione, Harry etc.
    In this story, without spoiling too much if someone might want to waste their time, one could argue that the actual contract is between Harry and Ginny to avoid the forced one, nonsensical blood magic bla bla bla, leading towards wedded bliss as shown in the first chapter.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  13. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Seventh Year DLP Supporter

My biggest issue was that I didn't care about what happened in the intervening years, I wanted to leap right into the meat of the story, and when it gets to that point the story was abandoned.

14. buzzer

buzzer Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's the worst part about abandoned stories they all either stop just before the climax or just before it gets to the best part.

15. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

16. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  17. Plotless

Plotless High Inquisitor

Harry Potter gets married at 14 which makes him of age so he claims his Lord Potter title and later finds out he is the decendant of Merlin and finds out that Voldemort will be a piece of cake . Real threat is something bigger . Something only he will be able to stop . Harry/Fleur . Rated M for sexuall scenes and language .

No idea what you're on about - clearly this is quality fiction.

18. Agni

Agni Third Year

19. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

20. Moukaboy

Moukaboy Banned

High Score:
    What a beautifoul story.

"so he can do parkour now too"

Ok I'm actually interested now, no /s.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
Not open for further replies.