1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

New FLCL

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Feoffic, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

2. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I would have absolutely no trust in this at all.

Except The Pillows are involved. And there are so many call backs in the trailer. So there's this tiny spark of "maybe."

God, don't get my hopes up.

3. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

I don't really know where they go from where it left off last tbh.

4. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

I don't know. I don't think having call backs to the original series is what would make it good. Like, the high schooler (middle schooler?) with the bandage on his head. Does he have the same condition Naota had? Why does he? There was a reason for in the original - it was supposed be part of a metaphor for puberty. It served a narrative purpose. Is it supposed to do the same here? Or is it just there because it was in the original series, and they want fans of the original to show up because 'my nostalgia'.

Like... having stuff from the original isn't what will make it good. What made FLCL great was all the innovative things they did with the directing, the fast pace, the underlying narrative of a kid growing up, having his first love, and Mamimi finally getting out of town, and on with her life.

You can't recreate that sort of quality by just including all the cool iconic imagery from the first one, and bringing back The Pillows to do the soundtrack. Not to say it'll be bad, it's just that the trailer doesn't necessarily fill me with hope just by having stuff from the original in it.

5. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    I held no hopes for Enokido-less FLCL and I hold even less of them after the trailer that tried so hard and failed so hard to ape "Gainax style". Maybe if Oshiyama was actually director like people initially thought, it would have some chance. After all in Flip Flappers "Gainaxiness" was done pretty well.