1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

New Gaming Subforums

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jon, May 4, 2012.

1. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

As you may or may not have noticed, DLP is gaining a fairly moderate community of people who enjoy to dabble in a bit of senseless slaughter and carnage— or mining!

Tell me DLP, are there any games you think deserve to have a subforum here on the board?

2. Exile

Exile High Inquisitor

The obvious one would be Elder Scrolls.

3. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

Minecraft, obviously. The Elder Scrolls series probably deserves its own subforum. You could throw in a FPS subforum as well.

4. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm obviously going to say Pokemon as we have a large number of people who play it, a dedicated irc channel, a league and we occasionally host tournaments. It'd be great to have a place to stick all those threads.

Oh and Elder Scrolls of course.

EDIT: And a general subforum for all things paradox games would be awesome.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  5. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

diablo 3, since once that comes out there will probably be a lot of talking.

6. Portus

Portus Heir

... and make them Ignore-able. Pretty please?

7. redshell

redshell Order Member

I'm pretty sure the ability to ignore entire topics is already on the table, but I'm not sure about entire sub-forums. That might actually require a shit-load of coding.

8. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Maybe a general RTS section within the gaming subforum.

9. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

As opposed to an Elder Scrolls subforum, possibly just a general RPG subforum?

League of Legends, I can definitely understand having it's own, as well as Pokemon or Minecraft.

But besides mod lists, Elder Scrolls would probably do fine in just a few threads, which would probably not be worthy of an entire subforum.

10. redshell

redshell Order Member

This. Have specific threads for discussion on different RPGs (for example, an Elder Scrolls thread, and then a Fallout thread). Mods would be the most hotly discussed thing, and, honestly, an entire sub-forum to discuss mods for one game seems... well... asinine.

11. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

I don't think the pokemon community on this site is large or active enough to support it's own subforum past the short term.

12. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    We have a decent number of threads, and a bunch of people who like it, I don't see why not.

13. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

We gave Pokemon a mod forum and it's barely been used. Not making another forum for it. :p Might change that one, however.

14. Azira

Azira High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

A MMO forum?

15. Kravot

Kravot Fourth Year

You can make the Pokemon mod forum into a general Pokemon forum, all the mod threads will stay there, but also add all the Pokemon related threads (tournaments, pokepic thread etc)

16. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Headmaster DLP Supporter

Maybe instead of making several new subsections in the gaming forum, we could reorganize it similar to the library.

I don't think a gaming "For Review" would be necessary since threads always go beyond that, but initial recommendations can be formatted/structured and tagged along the same lines:

Game Title
    Developer/Studio (Bioware, Bethesda, EA, Indie-mojang, Paradox, Valve, etc.)
    Categor(y/ies) (RPG, MMO, RTS, FPS, MOBA/AOS/DotA-like-stuff, Fighting/buttonmasher)
    Platform (PC/Mac, PS3, XBox360, Wii [lol], Handheld(DS/PSP), Mobile)
    Link

Review/discussion goes here

But I anticipate category and platform will be somewhat problematic since some games are hard to pin down in discrete categories and they're ported to other platforms. Plus, games like League have exploded with discussion in every direction that's difficult to separate and organize.

Computer discussion, usually of parts, brands and building, comprises much less than half of the Gaming & PC discussion thread. I think some threads like a new operating system release/update found their way into the Real Life discussion forum. My rough estimate would be around 2-3 threads in every page of this section are Komputertalk.

Many of the threads in Tech Support are of the same ilk as these- advice on whatever part rather than actual problems with hardware and software. It seems reasonable to take those and lump them with the threads in Gaming & PC in a section devoted to Komputertalk.

As for Modding and pokemon, most games don't seem to allow for modding and customization thanks to the pesky DMCA and what have you. Skyrim, sadly, is the only one that comes to mind. I honestly don't think the pokerom thing deserves its own section, but neither is there enough modding & discussion to go along with it. I'd say leave it alone and if those folks ever turn out a finished/working rom, yay.

On the other hand, DotA was a custom map on War3 and its derivatives and sequel are now full fledged games of their own. :sherlock:

Just my 2 cents and change.

17. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing subforum.

Honestly I don't really see much need for extra forums, but if you do add more I think it would be best to do it by different genres perhaps. I could see Pokemon and Minecraft being fairly populated forums, but not really many others. The Elder Scrolls discussion has died right down recently, though DLC might change that and there is the new MMO I suppose.

Maybe something like FPS, RPG, MMO, RTS etc.

18. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Starcraft 2!!!!

Nah, sadly, I know nobody here really plays it anymore.

19. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

20. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm all over it. Wish more folks around here were.

Still not Master. God dammit.