1. The second prompt is revealed! (Q2 2018)

"Breaking into Snape's office in the middle of the night was a risky move at the best of times..."

Deadline is June 18th, also known as the 22nd Anniversary of a seriously sad day—a tremendously black day for anyone.

As with before you can check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum.

Dismiss Notice

News (that doesn't deserve its own thread)

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Taure, Aug 27, 2014.

1. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    Anyone hear about the Tommy Robinson arrest?

Article by Independent

Obviously details will still be coming out, but it seems that the basic facts are as follows: Robinson was streaming outside a courthouse while one of those grooming trials was taking place. He got a suspended sentence last year under similar circumstances and now he was arrested.

There's reports of news articles about this being removed, though at this point I'm skeptical and still waiting for definite confirmation.

Rebel Media's Lauren Southern has a video wherein she says that Robinson was arrested, convicted, and sentenced (13 months in prison) all in the same day, but again, I'm waiting on more people confirming this, Rebel Media has cause to be biased here. If Phil DeFranco makes a video about this, I'll accept that as a final confirmation.

Arguments from people on one side point out that Robinson should have been more careful. I agree that attempting to publicize the case goes against "innocent until proven guilty" because it certainly seems like Robinson was already convinced of the defendants' guilt in that case.

However, if the whole thing about reporting on the incident being suppressed turns out to be true, then, together with the fact that Robinson was arrested on charges of breach of peace for streaming outside a courthouse (which I think is ridiculous--how was he breaching peace or inciting shit?), stuff like Lauren Southern being banned from UK (wtf), Dankula's conviction for the nazi pug joke and that girl who was given community service for quoting rap lyrics on social media, it looks like UK is bonkers.

2. Sorrows

Sorrows High Inquisitor Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    He had a suspended sentence from the last time. He knew exactly what would happen should he do the exact thing he did down to how long he would spend in jail for it. Now he cries victim.

What the fuck does it matter that 'Robinson was convinced of the defendants guilt in this case?' His opinion on the matter does not mean shit. The people involved do not need to have their privacy breached for his pathetic agenda.

3. ScottPress

High Score:
    I didn't dispute that. He knew he had a suspended sentence, he done goofed.

Perhaps I was unclear. I do not agree with trying to smear people while they're still on trial and haven't been convicted. However, if that was all he was doing while streaming, then I think arresting him for "breaching the peace" to stop him is suppression of free speech, which I also don't agree with. If he was actually inciting violence, then let him be triad on those charges, but what in the fuck is breaching the peace in the act of streaming outside a courthouse?

4. Sorrows

High Score:
    Breach of the Peace: Behavior that does or is likely to incite violence towards a person or property.

You don't think live-streaming a trial of an alleged child molester, including his name, location and image to thousands of his followers is not a invitation to do violence upon him? I am sure he was standing out there giving a fair and balanced account of the mans trial not whipping up the usual internet mob that appears when cases of child molestation come up.

Not to mention it is a trial in progress with jurors who have yet to go into any kind of sequestration, therefore what he is doing can count as prejudicing/pressuring/intimidating a jury. He was not convicted on 'Breach of the Peace last time' He was arrested on Contempt of Court. Essentially for interfering with a court case.

As the Judge said the last damn time he did this
    He was given a suspended sentence. He broke it, therefore he has been sent to jail as he should be.

Breach of the Peace is not a criminal charge, for a first offence you cannot be even fined, however you can be given a suspended sentence which can be enacted should you repeat the action. It might have been what he was arrested on, but its not why hes gong to jail.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  5. Imariel

Imariel Order Member DLP Supporter

Without having listened to the livestream - did anything he say incite violence? Is merely the act of livestreaming something publically available considered incitement somehow, or was the proceedings "closed door" and he breached it? Is the argument that one specific individual broadcasting something will somehow impair or influence the jury or due process when others does it without impact?

6. ScottPress

High Score:
    No, I don't think doing all that means it has to be an invitation to incite violence. I think it can be an invitation to show up and protest, to smear the defendants, to call them kiddy fuckers, to do any of a thousand other things that you can do to show displeasure without being violent. I don't think protesting, even as, let's say, passionate as his can be, must be an incitement of violence, unless he said something to that effect. Did he imply with his words "go beat up those people" or make some explicitly threatening gesture? Making an ass of yourself isn't a criminal offence. If he did actually incite violence, then fine.

Yeah, he wasn't arrested for jury manipulation here.

I didn't contest that.

I did understand that.

My interest in this is that it's another in a string of outright retarded or questionable incidents in UK recently that, at the very least seem like instances of punishing people for "hate speech" regardless of what charge might have actually been applied.

7. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Seventh Year

Who cares?

8. Arthellion

Arthellion Death Eater

High Score:
    i think we all should be concerned when free speech is suppresssed.

It’s important to find out the details. If the dude is actually inciting violence then yeah that’s an issue.

But if it’s just being a dick...that is a violation of human rights.

The UK has a shoddy history of respecting free speech recently

9. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Seventh Year

The solution to this "free speech" dilemma is pretty simple. Just stop being a white supremacist. Just stop. Really not that hard.

10. ScottPress

High Score:
    Has it been established that Tommy Robinson thinks white people are better than others? Or that he wants a white ethnostate? As far as I know he could be called an islamophobe because he says that Islam is incompatible with the values of western countries. But if that's what islamophobia is, then I'm an islamophobe too.

11. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Seventh Year

Yeah dude, I know.

12. Arthellion

Arthellion Death Eater

High Score:
    “Troll in the dungeons! Troll in the dungeons!”

13. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    He's the founder of the god damn English Defence League.

Edit: English Defence League. Not Force.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  14. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

I'm not sure if this should be here or in World Politics, but I'ma drop it here, and if it doesn't fit, feel free to delete/repost it mods.

Ireland repealed their 8th Amendment yesterday. In essence, this allows abortion on Irish soil under new and pending legislation. (Irish women did have the right to get one in other countries legally.) Nearly all of Ireland voted in favour of repeal, except for Donegal (which was 52-48 against), and overall numbers were pretty much 2/3rd - 1/3rd.

15. momo

momo Third Year

High Score:
    Sucks to know that there are people on the internet who believe the rights of a child molestor are more important than free speech.

16. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Order Member

'Muh freeze peach' has got to be the weakest defence ever.
    If all you can fall back on to defend your position is 'well ackshully it shouldn't be illegal for me to voice it' then your position is kind of shite.

17. Sorrows

High Score:
    You've hit the nail right on the head there momo, thanks for summing it up with such nuance. Personally I think we should let out all the child molesters and duck-tape the mouths of every freedom loving patriot in this great and united kingdom.

Also how is everyone missing the part where he was arrested because he was interfering with a court case after having a suspended sentence for doing the same damn thing. He was disrupting someone else right to a fair and balanced trial. Its not even a free speech issue for all he is trying to frame it as that. There are rules to reporting on ongoing court cases, if any actual journalist acted with way he has gone about his 'reporting' they too would be arrested for contempt of court.

18. ScottPress

High Score:
    I don't think anyone missed that.

19. momo

momo Third Year

High Score:
    You are welcome Sorrows. I hope you enjoyed the hours of effort I put into that post.

/s

But seriously, I did simplify things but that's just to get my point across. Sure he was sentenced before but he wasn't really doing anything pong worthy of an arrest. Especially considering the crimes of the person who would be "hurt" by his actions.

He wasn't actively inciting violence and even if he was, I doubt many people would care.

Let him film if he wants. I'm not losing any sleep over his actions.

20. BitMyFinger

BitMyFinger Seventh Year

Obviously the details are irrelevant in the face of defending white supremacy and shipping the Muslims back to a place where they can be bombed indiscriminately.

Seriously, @ScottPress, my boy, you gotta realize brown people are just people. They try out for their high school football teams, worry about who they're gonna take to prom, and really hate having to deal with tech support just like you. I get it, they got different holidays and their homes are decorated weird but you need to realize your western values are piss all in the face of a refugee needing a home from war because the western countries are fucking up their home. And even when thats not the case and they're just looking for a land of opportunity, a human being is a human being.