News (that doesn't deserve its own thread)

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Taure, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

2. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's a pretty slick mobile interface.

3. awinarock

awinarock Heir

4. Solfege

Solfege Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Not sure I see the point. Given her rate of wealth accretion, she's already due to be richer than Bezos at his age, which'll make her the most influential and powerful person in modern history.

If I'm to believe the pro-black news popping up on my fb feed.

5. pbluekan

pbluekan High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

How is she so wealthy anyway? I understand she’s a cosmetics mogul, but her brand isn’t worth that much. Did it all come from reality TV?

6. Solfege

It's corporate equity. She owns 100% of her company at a "conservative" valuation of $800M. That's with annual sales of ~$330M. So not exactly liquid wealth, presently.

Plus $100M cash from endorsements, reality TV, and dividends.

You have to understand, the game everyone's playing these days is selling audiences to product companies. Well, Jenner doesn't have to buy an audience. She has a fucking huge following, courtesy of reality TV and [social]media hype.

Edit: Actually her company's just one massive endorsement deal, given all she does is take and comment on her selfies. Manufacturing, packaging, sales, and fulfillment are all outsourced. Her mother handles the finances. Question is, will her brand have much staying power? Her audience is aging up. Better to sell soon and barely make the leap to billionaire status.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018 at 5:47 AM
  7. Sorrows

Sorrows High Inquisitor Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Her audience might be aging up but Kim is still going strong at 10+ years older. Plus she's already trademarked her babies name (bet she was fuming when Stormy Daniels story broke.) She's got a lot of potential for staying power, she just needs to mature the brand along with herself and her audience. It's not like older ladies don't buy a fuckton of cosmetics. So long as she keeps it up and looks good she could be selling rejuvenating creams into her 70s while her daughter/granddaughter appeal to the younger crowd.

8. pbluekan

pbluekan High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I guess her brand really is worth that much. Not easily liquidated, but there it is. I’m kind of disgusted.

9. Zombie

High Score:
    Its like Solfege said. She brings no worth to it. Its her following. Companies don't give a fuck about the person leading them, its their exposure. She's super exposed.

10. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Tactical Tomato DLP Supporter

Not as exposed as her sister.

11. Solfege

Thing is, other celebrities are jumping in. Kim may be going strong, but she herself only recently joined the social-media influencer sales-thru. The field's going to get crowded at some point. And fame is fickle for whatever reason. The platform gets stale, ladies lose interest/switch influencers, a new generation of TV reality models come up, Jenners' media exposure sours. If nothing else, growth stalls and sales stagnate, start to attrite.

There's much Jenner can do to keep trucking on that name, elsewhere to switch to keep herself fresh. Kim herself started with mobile gaming. But any generically outsourced business by virtue of it being so solely persona-led, without actual competitive moats besides, is inherently riskier in the long term.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018 at 6:01 PM
  12. Sorrows

High Score:
    Eh everyone scoffed when she stared selling lipsticks at 18. Now look at her, she's worth more than all of them. She might have had the platform built in but she took advantage of it to far better effect than any of the rest of that clan. She could have coasted for the rest of her life and yet instead she may well end up the youngest billionaire in history and yet people still won't take her seriously because she made it through lipsticks and likes rather than electronics or real estate.

You don't make a billion dollars by accident is all I'm saying, I reckon she has this worked out.

13. Solfege

Don't forget her mother who's the financial and management mind behind all this. Yea, Jenner had first-mover advantage - she started in 2014, before "influencing" was mainstream. Her sisters had other ventures, chose not to monetize on social media like she did. Now the jig is up and everyone else is moving in.

Effective channels are said to have something like an 18-month life before saturation sets in, it gets noisy, and you have to find a new channel. That's why marketing is more and more an engineering job, as growth-oriented startups try to build their own proprietary pipelines instead of relying on email, facebook, google, instagram, etc.

Question is whether Jenner has a moat-like quality to locking her audience in for another decade using the same methods. I'm not interested in dismissing her because of whatever. She was pretty well set up to monetize this operation like any sports athlete, and kudos for taking advantage of life's opportunities.

Just think she'd be wise to recognize when the going's good (the valuation's capped at 3x sales instead of the usual 6x precisely because of the risk) as she's unlikely to see such sustained year-on-year growth. There's much she can do, whether she wants to become a "serious businesswoman" or not, with a billion in cash.

As it stands, her mother's amenable to the idea of selling out, likely recognizing those factors.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018 at 7:17 PM
  14. Zombie

High Score:
    Not to discredit her, but "worked out" is a bit of a relative thing. I don't know about you, but when I was younger, I didn't anticipate being where I am now in regards to finances. She might have been born into it, but managing money or a business isn't' something that you can just do. You have to have a decent support structure.

I've got more advisors than I care to admit, but its well worth it in the end. I think its a far cry to say she made it to where she did by herself. That's just the media trying to make it out like she's got some Jenny from the Bloc origin story, when she doesn't. She grew up eating white bread, and drinking Mimosa's on the beach. Her whole lifestyle is tailored. She might have had the idea, but she's gotten a lot of help along the way.

I'm not even mad that she's doing as well as she's doing. More power to her. But lets not talk about her like she's the second coming of Bezos. She's a social media mogul that knows how to move her assets.

Its all about image.

15. Sorrows

High Score:
    I don't think even the media is trying to portray her as some kind of business genius. She clearly has a support structure practically tailor made for such a venture. Then again that's the entire point of a traditional board of directors bringing together advisers and skill-sets. You could call the structure of her cosmetics business simplistic or you could call it incredibly savvy since she owns it outright while having the flexibility to modify her distributors/manufacturing.

The point I was making was she didn't make a couple of million off her families exposure. Shes closing in on a billion, with a B. Kim took your average over-exposed socialite thing and turned it into a multimillion dollar business model. Shes taken the social media celebratory thing and turned it in to a billion dollar business in 2 years. How much was her own initiative and how much was the people around her recognizing the potential of her exposure is impossible to know (though I think she built up her following herself and starting selling cosmetics was her own idea.) But I'm willing to give someone who made that much before they could legally drink some kudos beyond the ability to take a good selfie.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018 at 7:43 PM
  16. Solfege

I wouldn't be so hard on selfies. It's a legitimate business activity - if you're the right person in the right position at the right time riding the right trends. Even better to have the power of moving those trends, and there's no doubt she's got social media marketing-savvy.

Thou yea, looking into it, the big moves to scale up [her initial idea] into a multi-million dollar operation really were driven by her mother. And, just as ideas are like opinions - everyone has one - it's the people who make it execute that count.

A correction: outsourcing doesn't mean you can modify supply-chain on the fly like they're interchangeable cogs. There's a great deal of research if you ever switch facilities, to ensure standards, throughput, deadlines can be kept to; even to see they've basic tooling appropriate to your product. It's critical to control variances to meet customers' expectations and reduce costly waste; though of course whether it's worth keeping in-house depends on what other personalized variables you're optimizing on.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018 at 7:45 PM