1. Another story competition is beginning! (Q1 2018)

"You're bleeding on my floor."

We've moved to a quarterly format, so you really have no excuse not to participate this time.

So check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum and get cracking.

Dismiss Notice

News (that doesn't deserve its own thread)

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Taure, Aug 27, 2014.

1. momo

momo Second Year

High Score:
    Okay so I clearly made an overly general statement about policing the internet. What I meant, is that speech should not be policed.

Unless you are doing something like screaming fire in a crowded theater, speech shouldn't be policed in general. If someone has a dumb opinion, ignore them like they deserve. Don't prosecute them! People get triggered too easily these days and that needs to stop. It doesn't take that much effort to ignore/block a person on the internet.

2. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

Your assumption is correct, I'm American.

3. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    This is an example of why having rights ascertained in a binding document (US Bill of Rights) is imo preferable to the type of unofficial constitution that UK has (everything based on Acts of Parliament). Plenty of people in US lament that the 2nd amendment gives people guns, but in the same breath they forget that the 1st amendment is rock solid too. (I'm not trying to stir shit up wrt to guns in US, I'm just using it as an example that most people will be familiar with)

4. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

5. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, not prosecuting people for what they say is fine, unless what they're saying is instigating violence. You shouldn't be imprisoned for your opinions.

But, I also think that online platforms are being civically responsible if they decide to ban dangerous speech (white nationalism, fascism, radicalism, terrorism, etc.). Go ahead, have your troglodyte opinions; howl them into the void, for all I care. But let's not give them a platform to infect the rest of us.

6. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Re: Net Policing

This shit I just came across on imgur (oh well) and its pretty much going to be the way of things. I had noticed that reddit was purging, but didn't realize to what extent.

7. Pure Infinity

I disagree. All you're doing is weakening your own ability to battle troglodyte opinions.. When the rest of society is forced to engage with Nazis, their arguments against Nazism grow stronger as a result. If you let them speak, they'll hang themselves with their own words. I'd also like to note that a large portion of people holding alt-right opinions could be swayed away from their position. By banning them they lose their ability to "infect" everyone else, true. But you lose the ability to infect them back, as well.

Also, no offense, but I don't trust you, or any social media platform, to be the arbiter of what opinions will "infect" me, and which opinions will not.

8. ScottPress

High Score:
    If I'm understanding this right, this means websites are now responsible for what their users do? If this is right, it's gotta be one of the stupidest fucking things US Congress has ever done. What a bunch of retards.

Can't people just damn well fuck off from trying to squeeze the Internet?

9. theronin

theronin Order Member

T-Cam shots look fine. I'm not too worried about it. They'll just stop using the shoulder cam. The bigger worry is that this season promises to be a one horse race again.

10. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Headmaster

Is this still related to the Hitler pug? Because if so, that's not exactly what happened. By all means should private-run companies be able to decide whether they wish to have certain behaviors on their online platforms or not -- from a practical perspective one can easily make arguments for both sides in such a case. But that's where it should end in my estimation. Piling legal consequences on top of that takes it too far. Gray areas exist for things like that, of course, for example in government-run places like schools, courtrooms, etc., where I believe you should absolutely be held accountable for what you say, legally if necessary, given that you hold a public position.

This was neither of those cases though. He posted a video on YT that was in bad taste and got whacked with the legal hammer when at most he should have suffered being banned from the platform. I consider that a rather severe overreach that also puts basic principles of free speech into question.

11. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sure. Or they could get real political power again. Fascism is on the rise in Europe, but oh, let's just give them more exposure.

Don't worry, you say, they'll lynch themselves on their own idiotic opinions. Or maybe we'll discover that an uncomfortable number of people share those idiotic opinions, and they'll elect their Id to be President.

Some ideas have no legitimacy; exposure just perpetuates them. There might be no legal recourse to get rid of them, but private entities are well within their rights to decide not to give them a platform, and in my opinion, that's all for the best.

12. Pure Infinity

I'm not advocating that youtube put the alt-right in the recommended list, just that they allow them on their platform. They're going to congregate no matter what - I'd rather it be within the public eye. Easier to keep track of, and combat. I don't really keep track of European politics, but I'd argue that the problem isn't resulting from social media, but from the fact that European countries in general seem oddly more open to fascism. Though that's just coming from my typically American-centric perspective. We've never had an actual fascist government over here. (Yet anyway, things are looking grim, lol).

Do you have so little faith in your own position that you think a bunch of mentally deranged basement dwellers posting frog pictures on the internet can completely demolish it? Also, the alt-right didn't get Trump elected. They don't have the numbers. People freaking out about the alt-right lend these people more legitimacy than they actually have. It also plays right into their hands - they'd very much like to be thought of as an actual threat.

In any case, as I said above, kicking them off of social media won't get rid of them, they'll just congregate elsewhere. Fringe groups spread fastest on fringe websites - where they are less likely to face disagreement.

Obviously they can do with they want with their platform. I never disputed that - just the bit about them having a civic responsibility. I will note, however, that fringe groups are unlikely to be the last to go when social media platforms begin closing in on disagreeable content, and it can conceivably result of people just abandoning the platform altogether.

The best method to combating the alt-right is to mock and deride them within public viewing. Humiliate them, laugh at them. Let them post videos. Then respond to those videos, tearing apart their points, and laughing at the sad pathetic idiots larping as Nazis on youtube. Nothing kills off a political movement faster than becoming a punchline.

13. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

NYT and a couple of other 'liberal' outlets are doing far more to make fascism salonfähig than the Daily Stormer et al are, just as an fyi. Fell right into the tolerance trap that is so enticing to anyone who doesn't want to rock the boat. "Well, yeah, that's, like, their opinion, man," to let someone else make my point for me, is an endemic modus operandi with all the lackadaisicalness that the words and tone imply, and it is an incredibly toxic one. It feeds the terrible 'the truth is in the middle' narrative that pervades US-based discourse, and through the internet, seeps into the narratives of countries in their sphere of influence. It normalises the, as others put it, troglodyte opinions by actually giving them a platform to argue upon, and to those who say that doing that gives them the opportunity to show their foolishness rather than keep it hidden, I would counter that the point Sartre made in Anti-Semite and the Jew is worthy of taking into consideration.

Never believe that anti‐Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti‐Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past. It is not that they are afraid of being convinced. They fear only to appear ridiculous or to prejudice by their embarrassment their hope of winning over some third person to their side.

I think that we have all seen this tactic in use in recent years, mind you, and by offering space to them, one could argue that the outlets are actually inoculating modern fascism against ridicule. It's hard for the average person to ridicule that which is acceptable and not particularly of interest to them, and by offering a platform, there is an implication that it is acceptable to at least some degree.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine. Now for the larger 'free speech' bit.

Yes, I am always fully on the side of the argument that will say that private entities have the right to do whatever the fuck they wish to opinions they do not want to have on their website/in their business/what-have-you. There's a relevant xkcd about this, we've all seen it. They may be unwise in doing so, as a different trap is that banning something makes it very easy and superficially justifiable to shout 'thoughtcrime' for most, but they have that right. Just because you can doesn't mean you should, to repeat myself from earlier. But unlike what Scott, Gengar, and probably half the free speech crusaders in this thread took away from my earlier post, I do not approve of the government stepping in nilly-willy, on account of government being inherently fleeting. Great restraint must be practised, and while I do draw a line somewhere with regards to the extremes of government intervention (unlike others in this thread), this does not extend to a prank so stupid it would be written off as unrealistic for Fred and George to pull in already terrible fanfiction. (For full disclosure, the line is somewhere around advocating ethnic/religious cleansing and similar for private citizens, while Eilyfe's argument that public positions should be held accountable earlier than that is one I can get behind as well.)

And if you think that this makes everything horribly complicated: it undeniably is. It will be impossible to satisfy everyone, I fully realise. Should a song like The Pope Song (NSFW due to judicious use of 'fuck') be allowed? What about the infamous Muhammad drawings? Between the two of these, approximately 40 % of the world has reason to feel offended and to thus be unsatisfied in any situation in which these are allowed. Yet prohibiting these, either at a private or a governmental level, is likely to draw the ire of others. Can a stable equilibrium even be achieved, once you take the gazillion other permutations into account?

Honestly? I've no bloody clue.

Signed, a leftist authoritarian bigot who hates pugs, moose, Ghost/Poison Pokémon, the UK government, fascism, and Bohemian Rhapsody.

14. Tempestuous Ocean

Tempestuous Ocean Second Year

High Score:
    Today is the birthday of Adrian Rawlins who portrayed James Potter in the movies, apparently.

15. ScottPress

High Score:
    I think there's a website for celebrating birthdays of celebrities. It's called Reddit or something. I mean, this certainly doesn't deserve its own thread, but is it even newsworthy? Seems like something more fitting to post on your own profile than in a thread.

16. Tempestuous Ocean

Tempestuous Ocean Second Year

High Score:
    I just thought it was an interesting news, and this being a HP-based forum people would be interested.

Edit: Removed the needlessly sarcastic part.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  17. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I didn't even know he had a name.

What's crawled up your ass mang? There are all kinds of post in this thread about birthdays and other shit. This is a thread about news that doesn't deserve its own thread, I feel like the post was appropriate. But I'm not an arbiter of what's right and what isn't to post. Neither are you, so maybe settle the fuck down.

Apparently Prince OD'd on fentanyl. I guess that his cause of death hadn't circulated yet. Who the fuck is giving all these stars access to that shit and thinks its okay. I was reading somewhere that even a super small dose can fuck your life. Why would they prescribe it. Meanwhile I go to the doctor for intense pain and they give me tylenol 3 because I live in a high risk of opioid abuse area and the only way to get them is to do periodic bloodtest and sign over the life of your first born child.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  18. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

The thread is literally called... "news that doesn't deserve it's own thread",

Zombie yeah its insane, I used to get heavy co codamol for my shoulder, which they say is addicting after 3 days of use, had that shit for a year.

19. Dye

Dye Second Year DLP Supporter

I heard it was oxycodone presses cut with fentanyl rather than an OD on prescription fentanyl. Shit like this has been happening very frequently recently and a huge number of overdoses have been because of fentanyl.

20. Oz

Oz UNQUESTIONABLY THE MOST HETERO MAN IN THE WORLD Moderator DLP Supporter

More newsworthy than your retarded little "I wanna be a Nazi now because some dipshit internet comedian is being punished" diversion up higher which I let slide.

There's a report button. If you think a post is breaking the rules, use it. Do not minimod, or next time I'll do a lot more than call you a retard.