1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Not a Gryffindor Fight by SFD - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by yojorocks, Jul 2, 2007.

1. yojorocks

yojorocks Seventh Year

Title: Not a Gryffindor Fight
    Author: SFD
    Rating: T
    Genre: Action/Adventure/Romance
    DLP Category: General
    Pairing: H/OFC
    Chapters: 19
    Words: 167,646
    Updated: June 7, 2008
    Published: November 19, 2006
    Summary: Noblemen looses battles gloriously. Devious might live to win. If Harry was to fight a Gryffindor Fight,he would have Challenged Voldemort to a public duel, and he would have lost. Luckily this is not a Gryffindor Fight. HPOFC, LLNL, the rest? Canonish
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3252157/1/

I have read a great deal of fanfiction, and after a while, quite honestly, the cliche stories start blending together and I lose interest in them rapidly. You know the type: Harry gets off the train, goes to the bank, becomes heir to God knows what, invests in dragonhide armour, learns a lot in an insanely short amount of time, gets a poorly written harem and then goes off and reductos the poorly trained DEs to death. I generally feel my IQ dropping as I read the first two chapters and eventually just give it up as a lost cause.

For some reason, I decided to try this story when it looked like something that fell into this horrendous category, but I was pleasantly surprised. Harry manages in large to stay in character from book sux, which isn't saying much, but it did work out nicely. There aren't any godlike powers or seats on the wizengamott, and Harry makes mistakes from time to time. He doesn't start sucking face with Ginny, but doesn't shun and leave her crying and running for Malfoy either. Somehow, the author is able to make Harry a bit more human, like a 18yearold trying to figure out how to deal with life after moving out of the house for the first time. Quite frankly it isn't up to par with Jbern, but the author still manages to paint situations in a believable manner. Dumbledore and Molly Weasley are not saints in this, but neither are they devils incarnate set on prying the mysterious potter fortune from Harry's hands. The goblins were mentioned in the later chapters, but don't start looking for GoblinFriend!Harry and his sidekick Griphook. The OFC character hasn't been introduced to Harry yet even, nor does she take up loads of time (three or four brief scenes) if we even have met her (personally, I'm not even convinced on that). Harry manages to get some lucky breaks, but he doesn't wield a staff like a pro or turn into a dragon animagus.

Give it a try and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

4/5 for a well executed plot and characterization, but not original enough to get the extra boost.

Checked by Minion, Nov. 23, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2012
  2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Yeah, that's about sums it up. Cliched and a bit illogical, but overall readable story. Haven't read it for a while, though. Got bored by all the cliches.

3. HardcoreHobbit

HardcoreHobbit Second Year

It does seem a decent story from what I've read. Nothing special or stand out, but soli, and readable.

The author has Harrys character as the opposite of Dumbledore with his own group, whereby he tells them absolutely everything, just like that.

Not to mention, possibly the most annoying names in the world for Hermione's parents. You know what I'm talking about. :/

Currently 3/5, but I will reserve my voting spot until I have read more of the story.

4. Palt

Palt Squib

I've not read many post-HBP fic's, simply because the ones I've read was crap. This one is different, and I quite like it. It shows promise and has lured me in after a bit of hesitation on my part. I will definitely follow this story to see where it goes.

5. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

4 stars?

Way more than it deserves. With the big blop of the horribly plastic conversation cum consolation in the first chapter (that's where I abandoned it), it wouldn't rate this fic over 1/5.

6. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I wouldn't go that far, TFB, but I'd have to agree that something about it just wasn't there. It was alright, the normal cliches don't really get to me in Indy!Harry stories, but it was boring and very blah. It's alright, enough to warrant a couple stars, but no worthy or our library. 2.5/5 for readable quality, but lack of any originality and horrible characterizations.

7. Marie M

Marie M Raptured to Hell

There's nothing in this story, nothing original.

It's all cliched and while done well, certainly doesn't deserve place in library(or so I think).