1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Not Quite by Dogbertcarroll - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by headbanger22, Dec 16, 2007.

1. headbanger22

headbanger22 Third Year

Title: Not Quite
    Author: Dogbertcarroll
    Rating: M
    Genre: Humor/Adventure
    DLP Category: Humor/Parody
    Pairing: HP/HG ?
    Summary: HP Discworld crossover. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts, but he's not quite what anyone was expecting, but what can you expect from a boy raised on the Disc?
    Link:http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3937066/1/Not_Quite

This must be one of the only attempts at HP Discworld crossover i have ever come across, It's only one chapter so far but i think that the author has managed to get Terry Pratchett's form of humor exactly right which i think is a hard thing to do. Hopefully he will keep getting it right and if he dose this could turn into a real gem.

5/5

2. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

The fact that this fic will likely be Ron/Ginny makes me giggle. The fact that Harry gave Ron an inspirational little talk about how powerful he could tell Ron was made me sad.

I shall follow it for now.

3. PsyckoSama

PsyckoSama Groundskeeper

my complaint was the "Ron's so powerful" but... though Harry could have just been padding his ego.

4. malaga

malaga Auror

I don't care if the rest of the story fails. This single piece FTW.

5. Croaker

Croaker First Year

The footnotes being in between the paragraphs fucking hurt my eyes. But that and the "Oh, Ron! You're so powerful!" thing are the only things I've particularly disliked so far.

6. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    On a related note, did you guys hear about Pratchett? He's been diagnosed with schizophrenia. No more Discworld I guess.

The story is okay, a bit too much description at first and far too many footnotes, but it gets better as it goes along.

3/5, with the possibility of moving up to 4/5 in future chapters.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  7. headbanger22

headbanger22 Third Year

I heard about that Taure its a rare form of Alzheimer's, Luckily for him it is treatable with drugs so there will be more books. He is going to have to write more to pay for them because the drugs cost about £1000 per week

8. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Where did you here that, Headbanger?

There is currently no cure for Alzheimer's disease. Currently available medications offer relatively small symptomatic benefit for some patients but do not slow disease progression. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alzheimer's_disease#Treatment

There are a number of other Alzheimer medications in development. There is certainly no medication whose results are so definite that you can say "it is treatable with drugs so there will be more books."

Link to where you read about these meds.

Yak.

9. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Yak, Headbanger was talking about Schizophrenia. Yes, it's treatable - not curable, treatable - but for fuck's sake, it is not a rare form of Alzheimer's. Schizophrenia is a horrible disease that some unlucky people get young in life. Some common symptoms of Schizophrenia include, but are not limited to Hallucinations, hearing voices, and "Word Salad.*"

Schizophrenia is generally a hell of a lot worse of a disease than Alzheimer's.

*Word Salad is, essentially, a condition where the schizophrenic basically mumbles incoherently to himself about the most random shit ever.

10. headbanger22

headbanger22 Third Year

My mother told me that it was Alzheimer's he had a few days ago, She said that the Alzheimer's was in the very early stages and was treatable only because they had caught it early enough. As for the £1000 drugs thats what she said that Pratchett's doctor was most likely to give him. As for how my mother knows this there are two reasons -

1. She runs a care home for old folks with Alzheimer's so its part of her job to know these things.
    2. My grandfather died from Alzheimer's a few years ago so she has a vested interest in keeping up with treatment developments in case my dad goes down with it.

I will have to get back to you with what the drugs name is because I cannot remember what it was called I only remember that it was bloody expensive.

Anyway what did you think of the story?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  11. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

12. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Oh...see, I read Headbanger's post immediately after Taure's, so I'd automatically come to the assumption that Headbanger was calling Schizophrenia a rare form of Alzheimer's, which obviously isn't the case.

*Shrug* I've been wrong before.

13. redawgts

redawgts First Year

The position of the footnotes is annoying, but otherwise I've no major gripes with it. It seems interesting so far but it's not really grabbing me. I'd give it a 3/5 for now. I'll have to see how it fairs. Looking at the author's page shows me that he/she doesn't really have a good record for completing stories, so I'm not really sure if this story will continue.

14. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Eh, yeah. The Ron/Ginny moment was awesome, but the rest is rather so-so at the moment.
    I'll keep up with it, maybe it'll get interesting.

15. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

Ron/Ginny.... ROFL!!!!! Gods that made my day.

Overall very good and funny.

4/5

16. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

not extraordinary, but not that bad. AtM a 3ish, but I'll withhold my vote till the author can establish a bit better.

17. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

Please note, Terry Pratchett does not have Alzheimer's or Schizophrenia. He recently discovered that he'd had a slight stroak two or three years ago. This has affect his ability to type coherently, makes him prone to tire, and likely to have trouble recalling things witht the same spead he once could. He says that this should not affect his novel production so much as his book signings and other such touring events, which shall be reduced in number and length.

18. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Unfortunately, you're just slightly wrong on that account. He does have a form of early onset Alzheimer's, and has stated as much on the website of Paul Kidby (the artist who does the random sketches).

http://www.paulkidby.com/news/index.html

As for the fic, he's trying to copy Pratchett's style to the letter, which isn't working too well in my opinion. Could be worse though, and I'm gonna keep an eye on it for now.

Aekiel

19. Scrittore

Scrittore Groundskeeper

So this story is an entire chapter, and abandoned.

This story was a bit odd because I'm not so use to the writing style.

This is really the only thing that made me laugh. I would have to say judging based on what's there, the fic is a 3/5. Average, not good, not horrible, but not even much to judge on. However, considering it's abandoned, I'd have to give it a 2/5. Not Library Worthy at all.