1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Not shitty Time/Dimension travel AUs

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by CrackedMind, Jan 27, 2014.

1. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

By Not shitty, I mean Harry does not immediately go and rant against the "evil and manipulating" Dumbledore about how shitty his life was. Basically, the less cliches=the better. Looking more for, "Harry travels back in time and doesn't end up as his 11 yr old self".

EDIT: Well, I feel incredibly stupid for accidentally not posting this in story search.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  2. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

3. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

4. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Any more? I read all of them sadly...

5. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

We're gonna have some dross in here, so forgive me. Not all are terrible though many will have the terrible evil/manipulative Dumbledore.

To Call a Place Home

Somniis Cum Cornua
    Erasing History
    Harry Potter and the Phoenix Burning
    Timely Errors
    Harry Potter and the Girl Who Lived
    Harry Potter and the Root of all Evil
    The World Without Me
    Stunning Shifts
    Passageways
    Hold Me While I'm Here
    Harry Potter and the Balm of Time
    Harry Potter and the Turn of the Shrew
    Adrift in a World

There's still a few more I have vague recollections of, but which I couldn't find.

6. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

I'm only plugging my own fic because you said "the less cliches=the better", and the whole point of this story was to make fun of fanfiction cliches and occasionally canon:

He's Not Normal

Otherwise, it's old, abandoned and plagued with grammatical mistakes.

7. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

8. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

9. CrackedMind

Thanks, people. I've read some of them, but the vast majority I haven't. Should hold me over for awhile.

10. Hero of Stupidity

High Score:
    Sadly I've read all of them. Care to recc a few more?

11. CrackedMind

For some reason, I'm unable to copy and paste links (my computer is pretty wonky right now), but Resolution by Slytherins' Dragon (I think) is superb. It has Blaise Zabini and Harry Potter going back in time as different people. Definitely worth looking up.

Most of the other stories I know of, off the top of my head, are pretty bad.

12. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Since we're being self aggrandizing, why not my story? Half-comedy

13. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

World in Pieces

This is a fairly good world/dimension hopping fanfic. I stumbled across it by accident.

14. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

I started reading parallels. It doesn't look to have aged well:

Goblinese. Oh god my sides.

Not to mention he's all kinds of uber and deposits 2.8bil galleons. That won't adversely affect the economy or anything.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  15. Joncis

Joncis Third Year

So, I rather enjoy these types of fics. Let's see what I have that hasn't been mentioned.

Stuff that's not terrible:

Vulpem-pilum-mutat-non-mores - A different take on time traveling Harry, definitely more mundane than most.

Stages of Hope - Pretty decent dimension jumping story from a war torn world. Complete.

Time, Mr. Potter? - A little too in depth during combat sequences, but still pretty good. I believe it's in the library.

Across the Universe - A one shot, but high quality. Dimension travel, complete.

Throwing-Out-the-Script - Short time travel fic, but I enjoyed what's written so far.

Stunning Shifts - Dimension Travel, believe it was moderately liked on Almost Recommended a while ago.

A Necessary Gift: A Harry Potter Story - Time + Dimension travel. In the recycling bin with a 3.29.

Warrior's Heir - Dimension jumping that I believe is in the Recycling Bin.

Harry Potter and the Nightmares of Futures Past - Very popular, reccing it just in case. The first HP fanfic I read, so I'm not sure how it would hold up now.

Mysterious Thing, Time - Time travel with along with Dumbledore from a hellish future. Kind of lacking in conflict.

Fiddlesticks - Featured in Almost Recommended a while ago. A dark, yet humorous fic. Wish it were longer.

I'll post more of lesser quality (or feature things that aren't popular at DLP) because it's always nice to have a good source of time travel and dimension travel stories. Fair warning, some of these don't fall under the "not shitty" category:

Faery Heroes - It has decent technical writing along with interesting parts. Does feature magical cores, which seem to become a bit more relevant in the later chapters.

To Shape and Change - Final resolution of the story was disappointing. Still, it had its moments. Time traveling!Snape, with Harry as a main character. Complete.

Harry Potter and the Puppet of Time - Starts out rather badly. Overall, mediocre, with enjoyable points. Also, Manipulative!Dumbledore.

To Bow with Pride - What I remember wasn't bad, but it didn't get very far in the plot. Has potential, if updated.

A Switched Chance - Time travel with a body switching twist.

HP: Dolen Amser - Personally bored with this one, but I think it was in Almost Recommended with a positive reception.

These are pretty much guilty pleasure reads at best:

Fire Born - Definition of guilty pleasure. Features a fem!Harry and Tom Riddle.

Travel Secrets - I've only read the second book of the series, but from what I can gather, there are some really stupid plot points in this one. Manipulative!Dumbledore.

I don't remember much about these beyond the vague, but I'll supply them for people who really love time/dimension travel. Quality will vary greatly:

And Hero, since you also seem to be a fan of these types of stories, do you have any rec's of your own that might have been missed?

16. Hero of Stupidity

High Score:
    Well, I have t ogo and comb through my fav list. :)

17. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Right, I forgot to mention this one as well.

Dimension Hopping for Beginners

18. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Gryffindors Never Die by ChipmonkOnSpeed - Harry and Ron, both 58 and both alcoholics, are sent back to their 4th year and given a chance to do everything again. Will they be able to do it right this time? Or will history repeat itself? Cannon to Epilogue, then not so much... 80k words, complete.

Sanctuary by Digifruit - After Harry nicks a Time-Turner in order to save Sirius, reality starts shifting around him. One day, he's not the Boy Who Lived, and the next, magic doesn't even exist. So Harry, being the only one aware of it, sets out to find out what went wrong. 21k words, complete.

Backward with Purpose (and sequels) by Deadwoodpecker - AU. Harry, Ron, and Ginny send themselves back in time to avoid the destruction of everything they hold dear, and the deaths of everyone they love. This story is now complete! Stay tuned for the sequel! 287k words, complete. (Sort of breaks the "Harry doesn't go back to his 11 year old self" desideratum though.)

I wrote a few. I'll leave it to you to determine whether non-shitty. All are complete:

The Life of Brian: A Super-Harry Parody - At the end of Harry's long life, he and Ginny say their final goodbyes. Her ghost fades into memory, her purpose accomplished, as Harry draws his final breath and prepares to meet her in the afterlife. Then something unexpected happens. (Based on one of nonjon's prompts.) 4k words.

Yule Time - Augustus Rookwood, former Unspeakable, escapes capture at the Battle of Hogwarts. He develops a new form of time travel, which falls into the wrong hands and seals the fate of trillions of souls. Then, something remarkable happens. 7k words.

A Mother-In-Law's Love - Distraught over Ginny's death in the final battle, Harry gambles desperately and travels back in time to set things right. Unfortunately, not everything goes as planned. A twist on the classic Soul Bond tale. 46k words.

19. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

I'm Still He is a newish one I found . It's almost recommended I guess

20. Hero of Stupidity

High Score:
    So here is a few I found, they are mostly shit, but hey we are talking about ff.

A Jaunt Through Time
    COMPLETE. The odds of temporal displacement were tiny, too infinitesimal to count, and yet… The Harry Potter luck striking again, he supposed. So now there's an older, wiser, more mature Harry (well, the older part's true at least) stuck in the past. And he's determined that if he's going to change things, he'll have some fun doing it. (OR: Time travel minus angst equals this.)

On The Danger Of Stepping Outside Your Office Door
    Honestly, if Harry had told them once he had told them a million times to keep their stupid experiments in space and time out of the areas that the general public was likely to tread. My shot at the dimension traveling plot. Mostly DH compliant. Complete!

Project Horntail
    Harry is tried by the Wizengamot. How is the department of mysteries involved? AU

Temperal Karma
    WiP. Harry decided to travel back in time to 1980. Not because they lost the war, not to save someone, not even for revenge. He does it because he is bored and thinks things should be done better. This is a differnt kind of Time Travel story.

The Dark Lord's Equal
    Years after the Epilogue things look bleak; Harry Potter agrees to go back to the Ministry Battle to change history for the better. Premise; "canon makes sense" though not in the way you think. Fight scenes, humour, romance, magic, and insanity. FINISHED

The Hardest Riddle
    Harry acquires the ability to travel dimensions, gathering training and skills so he can eventually defeat Voldemort. Independent Harry, Manipulative Dumbledore, eventual HPGW. No slash.

Time Heals All Wounds
    How do you heal them faster? Get sent back in time and correct things. Some chars are OOC. - reposting to correct spelling and grammer issues. Thanks for putting up with me.

Yet Another Universe
    AU lighthearted funfest with mature overtones,Post DH Harry gets pulled to an AU only to be expected to do it again. Dumbledore bashing is rampant Harry is doing it his way but he's going to have fun doing it! RATING FOR LANG. AND SEX INUENDO

A Chance Unexpected
    Harry James Potter had come to expect many things in his life. However, being thrown into a world that was so familiar, yet so foreign, was not something that he had ever anticipated. AU/Dimension Travel.

Ask No Questions
    Getting adopted wasn't on Tom's to-do list, especially getting adopted by a man with an odd lightning bolt scar. Time-travel wasn't on Harry's agenda, specifically time-travel that sent him sixty years into the past. Time-travel, no slash.

Dark Emperor the Immortal
    After a reign of two hundred years that is about to come to an end, Dark Lord Harry Potter sends himself back in time to rebuild his World Empire from the ashes.

Decision to Change the Past
    When Harry Potter realized that his life and marriage to Ginny is only based on his fame. He decides to change the past by transmitting all his knowledge of the future into a the brain of a younger him within the past to change his Past. Read and review the first fic of the seven fanfic Decision to Change the Past series.

Diadem
    The days of the Boy-Who-Lived have long passed, few of his peers yet live wrinkled with age. Always the exception, a youthful but infamous Harry Potter is commissioned into a desperate dimension-hopping gambit in search of the key to not only Britain's victory in the coming war, but also his freedom.

Dimension Hopping, World Saving, and Other Adventures
    It was a perfectly ordinary day for Bruce Banner until a guy appeared from nowhere, fell off a cliff, and died. Except he didn't STAY dead. And so began the adventures of Harry Potter and Bruce Banner. Harry Potter/Bruce Banner epic friendship for the ages, no slash, Master of Death!Harry, starts out pre-Avengers, but we'll get there. Title may be and probably should be changed.

Fighting without a cause
    AU seventh year - Albus Dumbledore and the order of the Phoenix use an old ritual to summon a hero from another world. He isn't exactly what they had expected – (initial)indifferent!Harry – no slash – no Horcruxes

Finding Hope in Darkness
    Albus was the only one awake in the castle. It was late at night, and he was stalling for time, not really up for more paperwork. Suddenly, a ripple in the wards sent him hurrying towards the source of the disturbance. Nothing could have prepared him for what he would find. And with Harry's luck, is anyone really surprised? Time-Travel fic.

Harry From Another World
    When things go wrong in one world, wizards seek help from another. Unfortunately what you want and what you get can sometimes be entirely different things. A tale featuring Harry, Hermione, Luna, Susan, Neville and a whole host of others. Loosely inspired by "The Meaning of Fear" by Rorschach's Blot. Rating for highly probable violence, and likely bad language.

Harry Potter & the Ritual of Merlin's Choice
    What if Voldemort had not called for a cease-fire half-way through the final battle? What if the death toll had continued to mount until in the end, Harry stood victorious but alone? What if Harry decided that such an outcome was unacceptable and set out to change things, to re-write the prophesy that had always defined his life? WARNING: not JUST about time-travel.

Harry Potter: Magical Time
    The final battle was an assault that tested his limits and pushed them beyond. Now, in possession of the Hallows and more power than he could ever imagine, he accidentally sets them off, hurtling back in time. The fabric of magic-it's very nature- is an integral part of the story. Starts after Battle of Hogwarts.

Harry Potter Master of Death: The Beginning
    Adopted from unwrittenlegacy. Directly following the final battle at Hogwarts, Harry decides to go for a walk around the ruined school. He discovers a plot against him and is quickly sent on a path that completely changes his path. Harry leaves the magical world after having to step into his role as Master of Death. Not Epilogue compliant, TimeTravel, AU, Harry/Multi, Incest.

Harry Potter and Deaths Revenge
    Harry died a natural death at 112, he ends up back at the crossover between life and the next great adventure, death gives him a choice, move on or go back and do it all over again risking everything to save his friends. Warning: Some Mature Content.

Harry Potter and the Children of Change
    A 73 year old Harry dies in a tragic accident and finds himself in his 15 month old body again. Young!Tonks HP/NT/HG. currently year 3 Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter or the universe he finds himself in.

Harry Potter and the Tears of an Angel
    Voldemort had another Horcrux. Nineteen years later he returned. In 2047, Harry Potter and Luna Lovegood, the two remaining human beings on Earth send sixty minutes of memories each to their younger selves. Not really time travel but definitely AU.

Lord Emperor - Dark Hunter
    Non Canon - starts in 2030. Not epilogue compliant. Harry removes all remnants of the Death Eaters from the face of the earth to avenge his friends who were killed off systematically and viciously. Eventual time travel: Harry goes back to fix things during the time he was in school and to prevent many horrible events from happening. Grey!Harry.

Night is When the Lion Stalks its Prey
    This is my take on Reptilla28's 'Harry goes back in time' challenge. Will feature a more confident Harry, as well as a Darker-mindset Harry. There will be some bashing, though new targets. H/Hr. Rated M for language and the possibility of adult situations later on.

Not Again!
    One minute Harry's dueling Voldy in the Graveyard, the next he's back in the Great Hall having his name read out of Goblet. Not Again! The effects of the brother wands was far stranger then making some ghosts show up. Harry stuck in a time loop fic.

Oops
    Harry Potter. The-Man-Who-defeated. The greatest wizard since Merlin. When he says "Ooops", people tend to be afraid. Very afraid… a Harry Potter/Merlin X-over. H/G R/Hr A/G (on hiatus for now)

Oops
    Go back to the beginning, that was the plan. Stop Voldemort on the cusp of becoming a dark lord, stop him before he created his first horcrux and change history before it could be written. That was the plan, only Harry made a mistake.

Riddles of Time
    He wasn't suposed to be here, or exist here for that matter. He did though, and really that was the crux of the matter. He knew how he got here, but he didn't KNOW how he got here. One thing was certain: nothing would be the same. He'd make sure of that.

Searching for Eternity
    When Harry Potter loses the love of his life, he accidentally looses some powerful accidental magic, transporting himself back in the timeline to the Triwizard Tournament with his memories and power of his past, everyone else's future, still intact. He has been given a second chance, and he was most certainly going to make good use of it. Time-travel fic. Power!Harry.

Shades of Grey
    AU, picks up at the end of OotP. Receiving a muggle contraption from a parallel universe leads Harry down a path he otherwise would not have taken. Meanwhile, Gabrielle Delacour has plans of her own for our favorite green-eyed wizard. Manipulative!Dumbledore, Ron!bashing, independent!Harry. See AN for more info. Rating for language.

Shards of Time: The Master of Death
    Harry Potter is just an eccentric school boy with some unusual talents. Lord Peverell-Black, on the other hand, is a magically and politically powerful man with the world at his fingertips and a war at his doorstep. Time travel, no pairings.

Tempus Fugit
    Non HBP/DH compliant. Time travel fic. The war is over, and Harry Potter has nothing left. When he finds a ritual in some of Luna's old things, he jumps at the chance to change history for the better. This time, the Ancient and Noble Houses will be ready. H/Hr Ha/T others.

The Consequences of Revisiting
    If you were given a second chance, what would you do? Harry wakes up to find that he had returned to his past. With the ability to change the outcome of future events, Harry sets out to do just that. However, with each action he takes, there is a price.

The Second Time Around
    What happens when Harry, presented with an opportunity to return to the past, charges ahead in true Potter style? With little to no regard of consequences or plans of any sort? Rating is for language and adult situations. I own nothing.

Harry Potter A Better Future
    Voldemort had altered his body to the extent the killing curse could not harm him. So he did not die during the final battle in the great hall. 13 years later Harry finally defeats him and he with Luna get given a chance to do things over. Harry/Luna

Harry Potter and Death's Bargain
    Response to Reptilia28's challenge. Harry dies and meet's his angel of death, who informs him he has died six times before. Now he goes back for his last chance as Death's Avatar to set things right and avoid the apocalypse. HHr Evil!Dumbledore Evil!Weasleys

Harry Potter and the Fanfiction of Time Travel

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014