1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dead Link Not What I Wanted by TheDarkAvenger - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by TheDarkAvenger, Mar 26, 2007.

1. TheDarkAvenger

TheDarkAvenger Squib

Title: Not What I Wanted
    Author: TheDarkAvenger
    Rating: M
    Genre: Dark/Angsty
    DLP Category: Restricted Section
    Pairing: ???
    Summary: Life of Harry Potter, definitely not as he wanted it. My first one, really. Harry's gone all out to fight the Darkness but doesn't really succeed much. ...well? Read it to find out.
    Warnings: (Implied)Rape, violence, sex, distortional views not (completely) supported by author.
    Link: Not What I Wanted

Edit by Minion, Dec. 6, 2012
    Dead link is dead. If you know where to find another copy of this story, please inform the library staff.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2012
  2. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Well, that was interesting. Sufficiently twisted for the tastes of many here, though a lot of it felt gratuitous. The plot driven situations were pretty interesting, referring to Ginny and Cho.

The Himalayan bit came completely out of left field, and really wasn't necessary for where you went with the story.

The rhythm and diction changed a lot and messed up the flow. There's room for improvement in the pacing of the story. Cut out the excess stuff, look at the flow and you have something pretty good.

But the most important factor is whether I enjoyed it, and that is definitely so. Pretty enjoyable for a one shot, and points for delivering the story the way you did, just have above gripes on the execution.

3.5/5

Btw, go over to the Intro section, and introduce yourself, so people can welcome you.

p.s. Saw the Bellatrix thing a mile off, but probably the best part anyway.

3. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

Any other thoughts/opinions/reviews?

4. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

The story might be good, but the Format is making my eyes water, Even skimming doesn't help.

Sorry, But I just can't read it.
    Out of respect and deference to those of you who can, I won't mark it either. I would like to point out however that with 1k+ hits and only one review to the positive or negative, a great many other members probably share my sentiments.

Last edited: May 15, 2007
  5. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

I agree 100 percent with Manatheron.

6. Bukay

Bukay Professor DLP Supporter

I don't know what to think about it.
    The format is a nightmare, that's for sure. Those extra enters are unnecessary and only make it much harder to read.
    About the stroy, well, I've definitely read better before. The thing with "Bellatrix" was... interesting. A reason why you always should interrogate someone before the first torture session....

7. Dark Magic

Dark Magic Denarii Host

It's an alright story. I found a couple of spelling errors, and the layout is horrific.

I liked the twists that you used, especially the B/G one.

I give this story a 3/5.

8. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

You are not writing a poem. Change to format into something readable and I will. Until then I won't touch it. You have 3 days before I give it a 1/5 rating. Braking you lines this poorly is almost as bad as r1tin 11k3 7h15.

9. Xanatos

Xanatos Professor

I agree completely, have tried three times to read it but just can't with this stupid layout.

10. TheDarkAvenger

TheDarkAvenger Squib

OOPS!!

Sorry, mates, looks like I committed a serious crime... I didn't realise that the layout would tur out so hideous....

Thats why one should never mess around with frontpage.... Or maybe one should never mess around when one has no so superior skills... I promise that it shall be set right within an hour of this post....

Honest. Your opinions do matter.

Okay, I've edited it.

Just because I dont have great editing skills, and this is my first attempt at fanfiction in general... So I am NOT the greatest sjit walking the planet... Sorry, that award goes to ______. Please bear with me and enter your valuable * Esteemed * comments...

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  11. raja

raja Fourth Year

I didn't really like it that much. The twist wasn't all that surprising and it jst didn't hold my interst... 2.5/5

12. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

I'm afraid that I have to agree, I wasn't going to say anything because I'm not a big fan of most angst fics, but I just didn't much care for it. and as Raja said it was pretty easy to predict what was going to happen. 2.7/5

13. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

It was OK.
    Nothing amazing, yet not horrible.

You might want to insert scene breaks or something to note the change in POV.

Like it was said, a bit predictable.

3/5 Bit angsty, don't get me wrong, I enjoy angst every now and then.
    Just fed up of it right now...been reading too many Lily and James fics...

14. KenderCleric

KenderCleric Lord of Plot Bunnies

I got as far as "Bell-fucking-trix" and called the game. Just not my sort of fic.

2/5

15. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I wouldn't put this fic in the Trash Bin, but it's definitely not going into my favorite's list. The angst got to me quickly, but it wasn't as bad as other stuff I've seen on this sight and other sights. I liked the twist, though it was predictable. Not a bad story for first time. Work on something longer and filled with less angst and it might be worthwhile.

3/5