1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Nothing Like Harker by BC - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by SmileOfTheKill, Oct 12, 2011.

1. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

Title: Nothing Like Harker
    Author: BC
    Rating: T
    Crossover: Harry Potter/Hellsing
    Genre: Supernatural/Fantasy
    Library Category: Alternates
    Pairings: N/A
    Summary: Sequel to Call me Mina. Post DH, pre-anime. It has been two years and they have grown, and the world has become more complicated. That is when they meet again.
    Link: Nothing Like Harker
    Link: Call me Mina (The prequel)

I haven't recommend a story in years, but I figured I would do so now due to how few people seem to know of the story.

This story is a sequel to a oneshot called Call Me Mina. While Call Me Mina was quite a good oneshot, I figured the subject matter would not make many people care about the story so I never bothered with putting it for review. (Do read the prequel though, as it does matter to this story) However, this sequel is a a proper story while being well written along with it being a crossover with Hellsing... and not being some horrid girl!Harry/Alucard pairing. While some might say the story is a bit boring because it does not have some grand adventure, I don't care. The interaction between the characters along with the story being true to both the source material of Harry Potter and Hellsing to be very compelling.

There is one problem as I wouldn't say everyone will enjoy this story because of a bit of the authors writing style. BC does write some slash works and while this story is not slash, those vibes do come off in the story with the interaction between Harry and Alucard. As I can disregard those vibes along with it not interrupting the story in any but the most minor of ways, I can give this story an easy 5/5.

2. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oneshot is fucking awesome. The description of Harry had me nodding.

Haven't seen/read Hellsing, but this is great. Will be back with a review of the story itself later.

3. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's...alright. The characterisation was extremely well done, but the story itself didn't grab me, as I'm not all that interested in Hellsing. Basic knowledge of Hellsing is needed to keep up, knowledge which the author assumes you already have.

I'd give this a 4/5, purely for the character interaction. Haven't seen anything quite like it before.

4. Tharkun

Tharkun Second Year

I really liked the one-shot, but I'm totally unimpressed by the sequel. Harry is more or less set up to become a plaything for Alucard. Not necessarily in a sexual way - although the author's track record is not very promising - but nevertheless almost completely powerless to Alucard's whims. In the beginning of the story I could ignore it as a minor annoyance, but it worsens as the story progresses, for example:
    Moreover, Harry does not seem to care at all. As he describes it, Alucard is at such a different level
    For some reason I dislike reading about a protagonist who is so utterly dominated by another power that he is more or less unable to create his own fate. I have the same problem with Circular Reasoning by Swimdraconian, but at least his Harry feels properly annoyed about being on Maeve's lash.

Add to this the angst Harry feels at times for the horrors that marred Alucard when he was an innocent child, and all the signs are there that things are not going to get better.

I predict that the slash vibes in the interaction between Harry and Alucard will get progressively worse until they're completely overshadowing all the redeeming value in the story. Considering that the story is a crossover, I extrapolate that the Harry Potter and Alucard interaction is going to increase - and it is not working for me. I would give a 4/5 for the one-shot and a 2/5 for the sequel, because the interaction between Harry and Integra is excellent so far.

5. Lungs

High Score:
    Makes me angry, because the one-shot was pretty good.

I know Alucard's supposed to be awesome and shit, but I sort of expected Power Parity from the Master of Death. D8

6. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, Harry don't get no respect round these parts. The Harry and Integra interaction is much better than the Harry and Alucard though. I admit I found myself skipping much of the Harry and Alucard stuff.

I'm probably rating the one shot as well as the follow up when I say 4/5, but the prequel really is interesting.

7. 13thadaption

13thadaption Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Read this a long time ago, kinda surprised to see it up here. I thought the oneshot was pretty decent, but I'm a bit iffier about the sequel. There's some good stuff in there, the Harry/Integra interactions especially, but I'm not really sure where it's going. I've read some of BC's stuff before, as I can tolerate some slash, and while he or she writes well and has some good ideas, his/her stories have a tendency to wander somewhere in the middle.

I'll give it a 4/5 as it stands for a well written and interesting idea. It's probably worth reading, but I don't have high hopes for it developing into a great fic.

8. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

I share the same sentiments.

9. logiccosmic

logiccosmic DA Member

Trap.

I was expecting a bittersweet friendship with no romance after the prequel, maybe, just maybe a pairing, and then surprise, Alucard trying to boink Harry. Integra is spot on to canon, but Harry seems to have canon version, when he interacts with Integra, lashing out, short tempered, and a bit sarcastic, and then Alucard's bitch mode. See above.

He's the goddamn Master of Death. He's not a bipolar teenage girl.

2.5/5

10. Lungs

High Score:
    Fucking. Werd. split vote - 5/5 for the oneshot and 2/5 for the sequel. That's a 3.5 which I will round down.

11. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

While Call me Mina is one of my favorite Hellsing crossovers, the sequel unfortunatly fell short. 5/5 for Call me Mina and 2.5 for Nothing Like Harker.
    combined I give them a 3.

12. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

Yep, the slash vibe is definitely there, but the characterization keeps it interesting enough for me to keep reading. It won't bother me if she keeps it like it is, but as has been said, her track record makes me fear that the story will become yet another uke-seme assbuggery fest.

Anyway, as things are, to me, "Call me Mina" is a solid 4'5/5. It deserves to be in the library, and it's an outstanding work. "Nothing like Harker" gets a 3/5 for good characterization and more than decent writing, but it's not up there yet, and I'm not sure if it'll ever be...

13. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Honestly, I found 'Call Me Mina' to be rather disjointed and bland, not to mention the writing was only decent. On the other hand, I enjoyed 'Nothing Like Harker' and the writing seemed much improved from the prequel.

For the prequel, I'm giving 2/5, and the sequel, I'll give 4/5. Since this thread seems to concern the sequel only, I'll rate the whole thing a 4/5.

14. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The writing is excellent, and the interactions are excellent. That said, Harry seriously needs to stop being a vampire cock-tease and open up a can of fiendfyre already.

15. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Again, Trap.

Prequel was good - characterizations were well done, and the subtle word play between them was well crafted and fairly interesting.

The main event feels like a slash-fest waiting to happen - that, and Harry's characterization in this is just crap - a far cry from the Prequel.

The 'bi-polar teenaged girl' thing sort of sums it up.

It feels as if the author is having trouble in keeping her characters true to the plan.

4/5 for the Prequel, 2/5 for the Main Event. 3/5 rounded down, in total.

I'm thoroughly disappointed.

16. Darth V

Darth V First Year DLP Supporter

Nothing much to add to this thread, in my opinion.

While the prequel was good enough to deserve a 4/5, the sequel is far from good. Plot is practically non-existent, Harry's characterization is summed by the 'bi-polar teen girl' commentaries and the action, or lack of it, is kinda frustrating.

All in all, I'd give it a 1.5/5 rounded up to 2/5. Since the thread seems to be about rating 'Nothing Like Harker' only, I won't take my rating of 'Call Me Mina' into account.

17. FromFanfiction.net&back

FromFanfiction.net&back Muggle

I read this not to long ago on FF.net. I loved the prequel, it was well written and the interaction between Integra and Harry was nice. It was a good one shot imo the best in its genre.

But the sequel gave off way to many homo erotic vibes. The scene when harry was in his room (i think) with alcurd and he describes him as beautiful killed it for me.

i started reading this and the prequel because of the paring Harry/Integra thanking god it wasn't slash.

That never seemed to happen instead there seemed to be a lot of negativity towards Integra. And the whole way the story is going seems to be the opposite of the first book.

For a one shot and its rare genre i think the prequel deserves a 4/5

but the sequel and its entirely different direction i give a 2/5.

Overall i recommend reading the prequel and pretending the second book never happened.

18. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

I think my anti-slash goggles might have been on a bit too high for the average DLP goer. Fun stuff.

19. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

If by that you mean anything short of explicit slash, then maybe your anti-slash goggles are indeed too high.

20. cold burn

cold burn Third Year

I liked it, although the sequel has some serious homoerotic undertones that grow and grow as the story progresses. That said I still enjoy the interactions between Harry and Integra enough that it's on my alerts. Still I wouldn't say that it's god gift to fan-fiction, gay undertones aside, so I'd give it a 4/5- good but not incredible. that may change if Harry's characterization gets any worse; like deciding that he needs Alucards dick or something.