1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Now and Forever by Northumbrian - K

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Stan, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Stan

Stan Order Member

Title: Now and Forever
    Author: Northumbrian
    Rating: K
    Genre: Humor/Romance
    Words: 7,898
    Published: Jul 19, 2014
    Library Category: Romance
    Pairings: Harry/Ginny (sort of), other canon pairings
    Summary: The centenary of the Battle of Hogwarts is less than a year away, and the Wizarding world continues to move forward. Modernisation requires change, and some things must be swept aside in the name of progress. Buildings can be demolished and statues, even statues of deceased heroes like Harry Potter, can be relocated. Can't they? Hubert Dalrymple has a problem.
    Link: Link

Another nice little oneshot by Northumbrian. There was a lot to like in this one -- I thought the short interviews with Harry's friends were particularly well done. Nice characterizations all around -- I really liked the way the author characterized Harry's statue. The ending got a smile out of me as well, so points for that. Really good story with a unique premise, so full marks from me.

2. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

I'm having a hard time deciding how I feel about this story. It definitely had it's moments, and it is very much an original idea. I'm just not sure it was as engaging as it could have been.

The two things that really stuck out to me were the characterizations of Lavender and the statue. Those were really fun to read. It seemed to get a little boring with some of the other characters though and that's my main problem with this story. I feel like I should be more engaged by it.

The writing style probably doesn't help all that much either. I get the choice to write the characters replies without writing what they were replying to, but it makes for a style that I don't particularly enjoy reading. I think it is okay to make that choice but perhaps only if it is in smaller amounts. When done in this quantity, I find it to be disengaging.

I'm not sure if I should give it a 3/5 or a 4/5. On the one hand, it is an original idea with solid writing and a couple of good moments, but on the other, the story drags at points which isn't particularly good especially if you are writing a one shot. I'll probably end up editing in a number later as I'm finding it difficult to choose.

Edit: Going with a 3/5. It just isn't engaging enough for me, but it is a really solid story. I just feel like something is missing.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  3. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It was a cute little story, but nothing spectacular.

3/5.

4. Hiraelle

Hiraelle Third Year

I liked it. It's a very original idea, and fun to read. It held my attention until the end and some things put a smile on my face (particularly at the end).
    Harry's statue is well characterized, as was said before.
    4/5

5. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Good for what it tried to do. Came dangerously close to dragging on, but didn't. Kinda sorta sweet, and an actually original. Definitely Library worthy.

4/5

6. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Hmm.

I think hearing only the answers and not the questions was a bit of a gimmick. It set up some nice moments, but I don't think it was worth it overall because the story never rises above its own medium that way.

Didn't like Luna - felt a bit too on the nose, especially the "we are all stardust" line. Luna isn't a Manic Pixie Dream Girl, she's not OmgSoRandom. Close but no cigar.

Liked the vampire Auror. Felt real, and a nice perspective on Harry.

Lavender was kind of... odd.

It didn't quite do it for me. Can't quite put my finger on why. Too cute? Too sweet? And kind of winking at itself for being cute and sweet? I was kind of speedreading near the end because I wanted to finish it, which isn't a good sign.

Not terrible at all, but not something I'm ever likely to return to. Pretty much the definition of an average fic.

3/5

7. Stan

Stan Order Member

Interesting to read the different opinions on the story. My favorite part was the joint Ron-Hermione interview, which is somewhat surprising given that I was always more-or-less indifferent towards the pairing in canon. Here their banter somehow manages to be both amusing and endearing at the same time :

Also, I really liked Ginny's assessment of Ron :

Plus, the mental image of the Ginny Weasley toy action figure flying in circles around the much bigger statue of Harry made me smile.

Newcomb :

The author's story Killers is based on the Vampire auror. It's nothing special, but quite short and worth a read if you're curious about the character.

8. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I'm quite sure you see her in Strangers at Drakhaus or however you write. Basically the author is publishing one-shots/story that are all in the same post-epilogue universe. You can probably find that vampire in other stories as well.

As for this story in particular, I wasn't fantastic nor was it bad. While the concept of the statue was interesting in itself and how it came to be, it just felt lacking. I didn't care about the two main characters, and was not a big fan of the interview format either (which was the crux of the whole thing).

3/5 because it has solid writing but that's about it.